Thread: ultima gtr

ultima gtr

ok weird question

but have been just wondering about it ...........

anyway , people who went to the 2005 autosport show might have seen it , know matra would have defenately seen it

but its silver and running 2 hybusa engines pushing 500 bhp each rear mounted ,naturally

but the thing that i wanted to know is its 4wd but how is the power transfered to the front wheels as well as the back , know how its done with front engined cars just can't think on how its done on this particular ultima

owned by a spannish bloke thats spent 130 000 on it so far , so not cheap

anyone care to enlighten me?

Last edited by paul; 02-28-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    www.britishmods.co.uk

this one?

I dont have any info on it, matra should

edit: sorry its red
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CoTTerik; 02-28-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    but its silver and running 2 hybusa engines pushing 500 bhp each rear mounted ,naturally
    2 engines huh, each pumping out 500hp. That would be a pretty impressive car
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

See http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...4&postcount=10 for pic of engines

from www.z-cars.co.uk ......

Special aluminium mounting brackets were made to mate the two engines together and allow everything to be rubber mounted to cut down on noise and vibration (with all that power on tap on full boost we didn’t want this thing to deafen the passengers !!!!!!!! )

This meant that the left hand engine now drives the rear wheels via a differential at the back of the car and the right hand engine drives the front wheels via a propshaft to a differential at the front of the car.

The diffs used were specially made with limited slip and a high ratio to achieve 200 mph topspeed,new rear covers were machined out of solid billet aluminium to allow fitment in the very tight frontal area of the car

we also had to relocate the shock absorbers and springs to allow the driveshafts to get from the differential to the heavily modified front upright,

this setup has been used to very good effect in our four wheel drive Tiger Z 100 WR sports car previously. The Tiger had a system designed and built by us in conjunction with Richard Bulmer from Motec , this system controlled the power available at each wheel to eliminate wheelspin and understeer ,it worked very well and took the world record for a road going car from 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds

We again fitted a Motec A D L dashboard and systems control computer and various sensors to the car.With all that power available on full boost this is the key to a successful conclusion to the project

We weighed the standard copper and steel radiater and were horrified to discover that it weighed 13 kilos without fans and any water inside it so we made up a twin core dual flow aluminium item of our own which weighs 5 kilos and is better looking into the bargain. Even with the fans on its lighter than the one we took off

Having now constructed most of the car we worked on the brakes, David sent us a pair of massive brembo four pot callipers and discs that are from a lambourghini he has and we managed to fit them to good effect the discs measure

Ok how is this little lot going to go,well I think it will go as Rolls Royce used to say “adequately”

Powered by two turbo charged Hyabusa engines giving 1000 bhp

Weight 980 kilos

Front axle 480 kilos

Rear axle 500 kilos

Power to weight ratio 1020 bhp /tonne

Four wheel drive

Performance figures yet to be confirmed but expect record breaking results in every respect
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That is definitely an amazing and crazy car. I can't wait to see some performance tests. I also want to see if it can break the 0-100-0 record.

wow so the 2 engines are true, amazing how they could pull it off.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

that's easy..a lot of guys have done it...here's a guy in Cape Town...Robert Ferrolli.He built a twin engined twin turbo'ed 4wd MK1 Golf...one engine in front for the front wheels & one engine in the rear for the back wheels...I have some pics of it on my old pc..as soon as I get them I'll post it..if you want to see a car going sideways down the drag strip..all 4 wheels spinning this is the one.....
    Fo' Shizzle ...My Nizzle

as promised here r some pics..Icould only find the 3, have to go look thru my CD's..I have a few video clips of it as well but can't host it...,.racing against a supercharged M#...a Yamaha R1..(beats the yamaha from a standing start) & a 265KPH runand some burnouts...the car is actually for sale....£25 000.00 here are the details

Specs
    2 x 2.0lt 16V GTI Engines
    2 x KKK K26/27 Hybrid Turbos
    (1 Bar Boost)
    2 x VR6 Gearboxes
    2 x Domingo Fuel Management Systems
    550cc Injectors
    AP Brakes 305mm
    Rally Golf Gearshift
    17" TSW Rims
    215/40/17 Yokohama Tyres
    Water to air intercooler for rear engine
    Air to air intercooler for front engine
    Rear brakes, upgraded to 295mm disc and caliper
    Limited slip diff for front gearbox
    Two pyrometer gauges fitted to both engines
    Outputs and Times
    700 KW
    1100 NM
    0 - 100km in 3.3 Sec
    Topspeed Reached so far:
    265km/h

Robbi Ferroli
    (with street legal Tyres)
    1/4 Mile : 10.5 sec
    600M : 240.9km/h
    800M : 265km/h

Cheryl Ferroli
    (with street legal Tyres)
    800M : 224km/h

contact Robbi ..+27 21 930 6511 or visit
    http://www.ferroli.co.za you guys will be able to view the vids better
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fo' Shizzle ...My Nizzle

cheers alpina i was sure you would have turned up with the goods, just wish i had got a pic of it when i was at the show , some amazing engineering has gone into that car and im sure it will perform fantastically!

nice golf nazzam from my home contry too !
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by manik_890
    wow so the 2 engines are true, amazing how they could pull it off.
    nothing too it - just engineering

Citroen did it in the 2CV Sahara in 1958

Morris tried it with the Mini Moke back in 60s.
    There was a Triumph one-off rallycross special built with 2 engines

BUT, a Mini was developed at BMC and a few privateers back then.
    I cant' find any of the factiory pics showing the motors, whihc anniys me as I *DID* have one
    Check out the open boot a la Fiat 850 to cool the rear engine

adn the 2 gearsticks !!!! WTF !!!!!!

( it's' OK they were linked )

Nowadyas, Z-Cars are THE folsk in the British scene who are making some AMAZING twin engines - front/back/both - for a variety of cars.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I had a great day at the Auto sport show back in Jan. Had the chance to chat with someone from Holeshot Racing (the creators of the Hyabusa turbo engines in the GTR), although I'm not sure who exactly he was or if he was an engineer. I wanted to know exactly what they change/adjust with regards the valves and cam timing on their tubo bike engines, as our formula student team at uni is attempting a similar project. It turns out they change very little and that 400bhp is achieved with very little modification to the engine itself! (I have some doubts about this but would like to believe it). When I pushed him a little to give me hint of the max power they have achieved with 1.3 turbo Hyabusa with more significant modifications, he suggested (with funny fuel I assume) that 720bhp had been recorded on a dyno! Wow, imagine two of those in an Ultima.
    Last edited by M Doe; 03-18-2005 at 03:46 PM.

there are drag hyabusa bikes here in australia that run low 9's, and they could go faster, if they had a longer wheelbase and less wheelspin.

the one in my mag im refering to is owned by a man in victoria, he runs 9.23's and they decided to see how much power they could get out of the engine. they grenaded one deleberately @ 984 KW. i was like :shocked: amazed, that would be awesome!

another wife and husband team in aussie drag dont run as fast at the previous guy, but they decided to twin turbo and NOS a hyabusa. road rego'd!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Interesting, that certainly gives more wieght to Holeshot's claims.

984kW = 1323HP

Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Nowadyas, Z-Cars are THE folsk in the British scene who are making some AMAZING twin engines - front/back/both - for a variety of cars.
    Aren't two engined cars illegal (on the road) in the UK?

nizaam, how is a 4wd car hooked up to a rear drive dyno?

also the mtm audi tt has 2 engines

how come that car does 0-60 in 2.8 but so does another ultima i saw with only 480hp
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information