Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Dino (206 GT & 246 GT/GTS) 1968–1974

I was gonna say the same as I scrolled through the pics, Ferrer beat me to it. Enzo didn't want to label it with a Ferrari badge and they never did. In those days real Ferraris had V12s, the Dino had a six. Ironic because the successive evolutions of the Dino became the more popular Ferraris. The modern mid-V8s.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    technically it is, but it was badge engineered as a Dino, which continued until 1979, when the Dino 308 finally became the Ferrari 308 GTB/4
    That'd be like saying that the Bugatti Veyron is a Volkswagen, only with a different badge

The Dinos were a separate line until 1979 as you've said, and in my opinion that's enough to qualify as different cars from the contemporary Ferraris. As PerfAdv has said the Dino line has survived till out days, the latest example being the F430 though now they are labelled as Ferraris.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ferrari has it listed on their site as a historical model. That's enough for me to consider it a Ferrari.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Amazing pictures, thanks. I find it hard to get quality pictures of old classics like that, but I could just be looking in the wrong places.

has anyone heard of rumors about a new Dino in 2008? There are artists impressions and computer generated pics...anyone got any?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    That'd be like saying that the Bugatti Veyron is a Volkswagen, only with a different badge
    That just proves the power of badge engineering. You are probably very much aware that the Dino was badged Dino in honour of Ferrari's son who died in 1956, but who allegedly was the man who designed the first Ferrari V6 which was used in the 156 and 246 Dino F2 and F1 cars from the fifties. Later on the Factory presented the handsome 206S Dino as a two litre prototype/sportscar, also fitted with a Ferrari badge so the name Dino was already used by Ferrari (and with a Ferrari badge on the car) well before the sportscar was presented.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That just proves the power of badge engineering. You are probably very much aware that the Dino was badged Dino in honour of Ferrari's son who died in 1956, but who allegedly was the man who designed the first Ferrari V6 which was used in the 156 and 246 Dino F2 and F1 cars from the fifties. Later on the Factory presented the handsome 206S Dino as a two litre prototype/sportscar, also fitted with a Ferrari badge so the name Dino was already used by Ferrari (and with a Ferrari badge on the car) well before the sportscar was presented.
    It could be a similar history to the Edsel, fathers naming cars after son's names. More coriously though there was another car which also carried the Dino name, though it was the model (I'm talking about the Fiat Dino) and not the brand.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    It could be a similar history to the Edsel, fathers naming cars after son's names. More coriously though there was another car which also carried the Dino name, though it was the model (I'm talking about the Fiat Dino) and not the brand.
    and guess what engine was in the Fiat and why it was there????
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

and guess what engine was in the Fiat and why it was there????
    I know, I know, it was done to homolgate the engine in Formula 2 wasn't it? That's why at forst it had a 2-litre all aluminium quad-cam V6. This (family of) engine also graced another car, the Lancia Stratos, which had Ferrari insisted in saying no, it'd have ended having the 4.7-litre V8 from the Maserati Bora...
    Visca Catalunya!

and Dino being the designated name for any Ferrari V6 engine Fiat was very happy to call its cars Dino as well. The Dino F2 ran as a 1600 cc, the Tasman version had 2.5 litres.

Ferrari Dino #14
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ferrari Dino #15

Ferrari Dino #16

Ferrari Dino #17

Ferrari Dino #18

Thread Information