Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Call : Jag will die as long as Ford owns AM

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferous
    OK as we all look at this title and say "Hey what the hell does that mean?", let me explain. From looking at Jags new Tonka-toy-excuse-for-a-sports-car concept, then taking a look at AM's stunning (if slightly repetitive) AMV8 Vantage, I've put my finger on why Jaguar haven't been allowed to make a good sports car since.... well since they've had the money to. I mean, surely a company like Ford can't be so inept as to let Jag slip into the state its in accidently can it? Can it?
    well look at this way 05 is last year for the "THUNDERBIRD" they cant
    even keep up there own cars, JAG should go back to European car maker where they know how to build cars the rite way,,,,
    Last edited by QUATTRO MAN; 03-14-2005 at 11:06 AM.
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    I've heard the X, S and XJ don't sell very well. Ford is ruining Jaguar IMO, because they didn't dare to put the F-type in production (wich everyone loved), but instead they put money in the Jaguar F1 team (wich is now bye bye)
    If a diesel would have been available right from the start the X-type could have been a much bigger seller. I don't think a limited production car like the F type would have changed much.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche ´77
    since jaguar made a diesel engine, it hasn´t been the same company for me.
    **** ford and **** diesel!!!
    Have you already had chance to drive your friends upcoming 5-series? Than we talk again. The 2.7 litre S-type diesel is one of the most refined available on the market. (developed together with PSA, also available in the Citroen C6 and the Peugeot 607)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The point I'm making is that as a luxury car company, Jaguar needs to lead from the top (of their range), and sports cars make good flagships. Jag's latest attempt looks more Ford than Jag to me. And don't get me started on their pitiful attempt on saloons. Since when was Jaguar about diesel and FWD? And the S-Type, possibly the most awkward looking luxury saloon on the market. Jaguars AREN'T selling and Ford's running them into the ground.

The point I'm making is that as a luxury car company, Jaguar needs to lead from the top (of their range), and sports cars make good flagships. Jag's latest attempt looks more Ford than Jag to me. And don't get me started on their pitiful attempt on saloons. Since when was Jaguar about diesel and FWD? And the S-Type, possibly the most awkward looking luxury saloon on the market. Jaguars AREN'T selling and Ford's running them into the ground.
    Jaguar has been about fwd, diesel, estates and cross over SUVs since it became clear that without a wider range of cars to sell, cars that people actually want to buy, they are going to go out of business.

Jaguar NEEDS a diesel if it is going to sell cars in any meaningful numbers in Europe.

Jaguar NEEDS an entry level compact saloon to attract younger buyers, as their current customer base is dying off.*

Ford don't control what Jaguar make. They don't tell them what to build, or what it will look like. Ford control the money. If Jaguars aren't selling well - that is the fault of Jaguar, not Ford.

*Also the reasoning behind the proposed crossover SUV being tauted this week.
    Thanks for all the fish

The last sportscar Jaguar made was the E-type, which then got replaced in the mid seventies by the XJS, hardly a sportscar at all which then got replaced by the XKR, a similar limousine with rather restricted seating capacity. Jaguar has been trotting on the success of the XJ limo, which operates in the main market segment where BMW, Mercedes and Audi all sell their top of the range cars with hefty diesels. (if you are sat in one you would immediately understand why). Whether you like the S-type or not is a personal matter.

From my point of view, i like what Fords doing with Jaguar, but behind all of that the X Type is essentially a Mondeo and the S type i believ a Lincoln LS, 2 big mistakes for a luxury car maker. Hopefully now theyre not spending $200million a year in F1, Ford will invest that back into Jaguar so that products like the new S type coming in 2008 i think it is, hits the ground running.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information