Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a good laptop to get?

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    2) Wireless internet no matter where I am. This is not a requirement but it would be nice. I do not mean an airport thing, I mean ANYwhere. Kind of like an ethernet card type thing.
    You know that's actually quite difficult. The ONLY way you can get internet anywhere, anytime is through a wireless service provider (like Verizon or Sprint) and they only offer in a very few locations right now. And even then you're limited to the same locales you would be with a cell phone. And it will be slow. Plus you have to pay a fairly hefty service charge and I believe their basic card is around $100.

So, really you're asking for way too much for way too little and you're also probably asking for a service that isn't quite there yet as far as availability.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03
    Whatever you get, DO NOT get a Toshiba. They're horrible, well the A20 is anyway.
    Well, I have got a Toshiba Satellite L10-104 (working with it right now) and I'm very happy with it! No problems in 3 months.
    Costs 850 Euros at 3rd of January 2005, but they brought out the following model (Satellite L10-105) shortly after that.

Technical datas:
    60GB HDD
    WLAN
    15" XGA TFT
    DVD Super Multi Writer (+, - and RAM)
    1.3 GHz Celeron M
    512 MB Ram
    TruSurroundXT Sound
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Sub $600 is impossible. US$1,016.00 is the price for an iBook 12" with a 60GB HD (edu price). Now this thing comes with 256MB of RAM, whatever anyone says you this is NOT enough bump it up to at least 768MB. A 512MB chip from crucial is US$142.13 to get to that 768MB of RAM (the standard 256MB is solderd to the main board an can not be taken out and there is 1 RAM slot free in the iBook). Again do not believe anyone who says that 256MB of RAM is enough because it's not.

Ok, I am going to disregard the last few posts, but I think a mac is a bit too pricey, and I will go with a PC. Anything with 35 gig+ harddrive, 14 or larger screen, a better then average but not quite gaming video card, and at least 2 ghz. Price can stretch to something more like 750-800, possibly higher now.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Ok, I am going to disregard the last few posts, but I think a mac is a bit too pricey, and I will go with a PC. Anything with 35 gig+ harddrive, 14 or larger screen, a better then average but not quite gaming video card, and at least 2 ghz. Price can stretch to something more like 750-800, possibly higher now.
    You're still going to have a hard time finding something...
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Your best bet is something like ebay. Try to find something you want on there. Overstock also has a lot of stuff for cheap.

Thread Information