Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Accelerating Supercars

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    The only thing is see wrong wit the Hemi Darts were that that's all they could really do, and I doubt they went a whole lot fast after the 1/4. They might have been affordable then, but I bet you could pick one up today for under a quarter mil, and those would only be in collections. BTW, the "not nessecarily accurate" meant horsepower rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    BWhile it is a helpful measurement, the 1/4 mile is usually the official way of rating a car's performance. 0-60 mph only shows a car's low-to-mid range performance.
    I see you point but:
    What is officially? The rest of the world has gone metric
    400 or 1000 meters are "officially" used everywhere else (except the UK and may be Australia)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The point is how fast it goes, that's what this thread is about. If you want to re-define what we're arguing about, start a new thread. Our history of going off-topic is probably best kept away from this one

But the fact is that the 962LM production car runs a 9.2 second quarter mile, and there's nothing else to it as far as this thread is concerned.
    Didn't Porsche take a '80s 962, strip it down, and put in a rebuilt engine with modifications? And, how many were made? 5?

I've seen photos of it... look at that extremely low ground clearance- I don't see how it could go over a driveway leading into a parking lot or a speed bump.

I'm curious as to why it wasn't in the list I posted?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I see you point but:
    What is officially? The rest of the world has gone metric
    400 or 1000 meters are "officially" used everywhere else (except the UK and may be Australia)
    I was going by track drag racing. The 1/4 mile has been the standard since at least the 1940s. I mean, at the drag strip, they don't accelerate up to 60 mph and stop!
    Can you tell me... are there 1/4 mile races and strips in Europe, and if so, since when? The 1950s maybe?

I was going by track drag racing. The 1/4 mile has been the standard since at least the 1940s. I mean, at the drag strip, they don't acclerate up to 60 mph and stop!
    Can you tell me... are there 1/4 mile races and strips in Europe, and if so, since when? The 1950s maybe?
    There are some, but I have no idea where and what is being measured. I find drag racing one of the lesser and totally uninteresting aspects of motorsports even topping oval racing in this. If I want to know what a car is capable of I'll take it to a circuit, where handling, cornering, braking etc are the decisive factors and not whether it has a braking parachute
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen
    The only thing is see wrong wit the Hemi Darts were that that's all they could really do, and I doubt they went a whole lot fast after the 1/4. They might have been affordable then, but I bet you could pick one up today for under a quarter mil, and those would only be in collections. BTW, the "not nessecarily accurate" meant horsepower rating.
    Yes, very true. They were far from being practical and were made for only one purpose- to dominate the S/S class of NHRA drag racing.
    In fact, Chrysler had literature printed which warned potential owners that the car was not recommended for street use. Still, some bought them anyway as the ultimate street racing car- even though they would stall frequently in cold weather and have a 1,200 rpm idle speed!

If I wanted to drive this type of vehicle, I would go for the '69 440 Dart (also a production car) and have an easy 12-second car but with the relative smoothness of a 440.

This was also true with the early '60s Chevy 409, Max Wedge (413 and 426) Mopars, 421 Super Duty Pontiacs.

There are some, but I have no idea where and what is being measured. I find drag racing one of the lesser and totally uninteresting aspects of motorsports even topping oval racing in this. If I want to know what a car is capable of I'll take it to a circuit, where handling, cornering, braking etc are the decisive factors and not whether it has a braking parachute
    I'm really curious now. I would guess there must be some 1/4 mile strips (or were some not so long ago).

I'm really curious now. I would guess there must be some 1/4 mile strips (or were some not so long ago).
    I think if it is done in Europe they use the straight of a normal racing track.

Didn't Porsche take a '80s 962, strip it down, and put in a rebuilt engine with modifications? And, how many were made? 5?
    You might be thinking of the LeMans car made from the roadgoing version of the 962LM. I'm pretty sure they made 5 of those.

Dauer took the completely street-illegal Porsche 962 LeMans car and decided to use it as a foundation for a roadgoing car. They built new bodywork (all carbon/kevlar), new suspension (see my comment below), and stuffed in a 730hp engine which makes it through EEC emissions requirements. the interior is all leather, with DVD/Navigation system options, surround sound, air conditioning, etc.

Very cramped though, I'd much rather indulge in the creature comforts of one of your favorite cars if very much distance factored into the equation.

I've seen photos of it... look at that extremely low ground clearance- I don't see how it could go over a driveway leading into a parking lot or a speed bump.
    Luckily Dauer created a trick modifiable-ride-height suspension for the road car, so you could adjust up for speed bumps and down for photo-ops

I'm curious as to why it wasn't in the list I posted?
    It should be on the list, although I'm not surprised that it isn't. It doesn't show up on most lists. It could be due to a lack of an "official" 3rd party test, similarly to the situation with it's top speed record.

They're planning on making 50 cars, and 13 of these currently exist.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 03-28-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Some sources do correctly report on the Dauer, calling it the world's fastest street-legal production car, etc. One such example is EVO magazine. This article is from April 2004.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (277.5 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (279.9 KB, 6 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (421.7 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (414.6 KB, 13 views)

I think if it is done in Europe they use the straight of a normal racing track.
    Yeah, it would make sense to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    You might be thinking of the LeMans car made from the roadgoing version of the 962LM. I'm pretty sure they made 5 of those.

Very cramped though, I'd much rather indulge in the creature comforts of one of your favorite cars if very much distance factored into the equation.

Luckily Dauer created a trick modifiable-ride-height suspension for the road car, so you could adjust up for speed bumps and down for photo-ops

It should be on the list, although I'm not surprised that it isn't. It doesn't show up on most lists. It could be due to a lack of an "official" 3rd party test, similarly to the situation with it's top speed record.

They're planning on making 50 cars, and 13 of these currently exist.
    Yeah, it must be what you mentioned.

It does look cramped; you're right- I think my cars have a little more room inside.

Ahh... I forgot about air suspension. That would certainly help on that car.

What year are they considered to be?

What year are they considered to be?
    I think the first 13 are generally considered to be 1994 cars. The planned 2006 update should have revised bodywork, more options, etc.

That's what I've read, too. a 1994 model.

I was going by track drag racing. The 1/4 mile has been the standard since at least the 1940s. I mean, at the drag strip, they don't accelerate up to 60 mph and stop!
    Drag racing is a very American sport.

The first strip in the UK was Santa Pod in the mid 60s.

As it was on an ex US base and was surrounded by US bases it wans't a solely UK decision to start the sport

"standard" is for the US, but just like the "world Series" it isn't

Personally I think it's because we are steeped in a tradiion of road and track racing where multiple skills are needed in the designers, pits and driver. Drag has less breadth of skill needed and a real PEAK in engine build. It also reflects I think the US sports where there is action for 30 seconds and then a break for a minute and then another little spurt of activity - and THAT from an NFL fan too

Dart anyone ? ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-29-2005 at 02:08 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information