Page 394 of 410 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 6138

Thread: Music - Right now?

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Undisclosed Desires - Muse, The Resistance.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Emancipator - Safe in the Steep Cliffs

Fans of Emancipator will be well aware of this evolution from the first album, but for those of you who are new to his music altogether, please allow me to introduce him. Doug Appling was a 19 year old college student who decided to make a full length album of symphonic trip-hop music in his spare time. All sounds were created through his own hands and computer, with the exception of several vocals and Cindy Kao on violin, putting together an incredibly cohesive album that belied his age. Soon it will be Cold Enough was initially released by Doug himself in 2006, limited to only 500 copies. Nujabes discovered the album and stepped in, signing it to his Hydeout Productions label and remastering and re-releasing it in 2008. 5000 copies were sold within the first 6 months, an incredible achievement considering the humble beginnings.

After years of accolades for his debut album, we fast forward to 2010 to find the now 23 Emancipator’s sophomore album Safe in the Steep Cliffs. A serene symphony of notes washes over the listener on the opening track, Greenland, and we find ourselves in familiar territory of a sound that is categorically Emancipator’s own. The track quickly picks up into produced beats overlaid with unique noises and beautiful violin, creating a musical aura that doesn’t depart from the rest of the album.

Two of the three tracks that follow are rife with evidence of Uyama Hiroto, a jazz musician from Japan, and this guest star’s new genre provides a brilliant new addition to the arsenal of unique elements in Emancipator’s music. Soon thereafter we find Old Devil, which dares to introduce banjo to an album that two tracks ago was knee-deep in jazz influence. And it works, better than almost any other album I’ve ever heard. Old Devil is not only banjo though, laced throughout the track are familiar and not-quite so easy to place instruments that create a deliciously discordant and yet oh so competent sound.

Nevergreen, the track that follows, returns to the simplicity of piano and a light beat with an incredible highlight of overlapping string instruments before introducing an unexpected and yet entirely plausible distorted electric guitar sample that intertwines with a cello. It’s this seamless integration of instruments and styles that makes Emancipator one of the most accomplished artists in the industry in 4 short years and 2 incredible albums. Safe in the Steep Cliffs is a record where the listener is engulfed in a stunning aural vacation for the entire album’s length, with great variety in the individual songs and yet an over-arching sound that links the entire album into one cohesive and beautiful listen.

The ninth track to appear on this new album, Rattlesnakes, provides yet another surprise, with a seemingly traditional Japanese instrumental integrated into the track, evident through a number of traditional instruments that are not regularly experienced in trip-hop. Nujabes’ influence, and consequently Uyama Hiroto’s style becomes apparent once again on tracks such as Hill Sighed, which reintroduces jazz elements but also the familiar string instruments and beats that Emancipator is synonymous with.

The final two tracks, Siren and the title track, Safe in the Steep Cliffs, see the album shift back to the traditional Emancipator format, but both do so in a refreshing manner that makes the two tracks as enjoyable to listen to as any of the more experimental songs. Final notes of the last track fade away into silence where the listener sits in awe at the preceding 14 tracks, punctuating the incredible achievement that this album is. It cannot come highly recommended enough.

Improving Silence

Trying my hand at music reviews.

Well, you intrigued me.. but that's mainly because you said trip-hop and Nujabes. Giving it a listen now, first impressions are good.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpPts2by_A]YouTube - unit blue - deejays feel - chill mix ibiza radio lounge music[/ame]
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    Emancipator - Safe in the Steep Cliffs

Fans of Emancipator will be well aware of this evolution from the first album, but for those of you who are new to his music altogether, please allow me to introduce him. Doug Appling was a 19 year old college student who decided to make a full length album of symphonic trip-hop music in his spare time. All sounds were created through his own hands and computer, with the exception of several vocals and Cindy Kao on violin, putting together an incredibly cohesive album that belied his age. Soon it will be Cold Enough was initially released by Doug himself in 2006, limited to only 500 copies. Nujabes discovered the album and stepped in, signing it to his Hydeout Productions label and remastering and re-releasing it in 2008. 5000 copies were sold within the first 6 months, an incredible achievement considering the humble beginnings.

After years of accolades for his debut album, we fast forward to 2010 to find the now 23 Emancipator’s sophomore album Safe in the Steep Cliffs. A serene symphony of notes washes over the listener on the opening track, Greenland, and we find ourselves in familiar territory of a sound that is categorically Emancipator’s own. The track quickly picks up into produced beats overlaid with unique noises and beautiful violin, creating a musical aura that doesn’t depart from the rest of the album.

Two of the three tracks that follow are rife with evidence of Uyama Hiroto, a jazz musician from Japan, and this guest star’s new genre provides a brilliant new addition to the arsenal of unique elements in Emancipator’s music. Soon thereafter we find Old Devil, which dares to introduce banjo to an album that two tracks ago was knee-deep in jazz influence. And it works, better than almost any other album I’ve ever heard. Old Devil is not only banjo though, laced throughout the track are familiar and not-quite so easy to place instruments that create a deliciously discordant and yet oh so competent sound.

Nevergreen, the track that follows, returns to the simplicity of piano and a light beat with an incredible highlight of overlapping string instruments before introducing an unexpected and yet entirely plausible distorted electric guitar sample that intertwines with a cello. It’s this seamless integration of instruments and styles that makes Emancipator one of the most accomplished artists in the industry in 4 short years and 2 incredible albums. Safe in the Steep Cliffs is a record where the listener is engulfed in a stunning aural vacation for the entire album’s length, with great variety in the individual songs and yet an over-arching sound that links the entire album into one cohesive and beautiful listen.

The ninth track to appear on this new album, Rattlesnakes, provides yet another surprise, with a seemingly traditional Japanese instrumental integrated into the track, evident through a number of traditional instruments that are not regularly experienced in trip-hop. Nujabes’ influence, and consequently Uyama Hiroto’s style becomes apparent once again on tracks such as Hill Sighed, which reintroduces jazz elements but also the familiar string instruments and beats that Emancipator is synonymous with.

The final two tracks, Siren and the title track, Safe in the Steep Cliffs, see the album shift back to the traditional Emancipator format, but both do so in a refreshing manner that makes the two tracks as enjoyable to listen to as any of the more experimental songs. Final notes of the last track fade away into silence where the listener sits in awe at the preceding 14 tracks, punctuating the incredible achievement that this album is. It cannot come highly recommended enough.

Improving Silence

Trying my hand at music reviews.
    Well thought review. I love the word Dischordant used. Gives a really good idea, better then most reviewers using "busy". Cant wait to give this a listen, althought I dont really know the Genre.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Well thought review. I love the word Dischordant used. Gives a really good idea, better then most reviewers using "busy". Cant wait to give this a listen, althought I dont really know the Genre.
    Thanks, glad to hear that my review made it pique your interest.

Given your song posted above, I daresay you'll enjoy Emancipator. Genre-wise it's hard to place, trip-hop includes the likes of Portishead/Unkle, which aren't what I'd use to describe Emancipator's compatriots, so I'd prefer to place it in the 'Good Music' genre.

Phish- Backwards Down the Number Line
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mop5IjftUo]YouTube - Phish - Backwards Down The Number Line[/ame]
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Went to the Muse show at the Palace of Auburn Hill last night, saw them back in 06 in Toronto at The Docks and that was a club venue. Seeing them in stadium is a whole new ball game. Awesome laser and light show and lots of big sing-along and saw some people doing crowd surfing near the end. Great experience....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Went to the Muse show at the Palace of Auburn Hill last night, saw them back in 06 in Toronto at The Docks and that was a club venue. Seeing them in stadium is a whole new ball game. Awesome laser and light show and lots of big sing-along and saw some people doing crowd surfing near the end. Great experience....
    You lucky man...
    PINGAS!!!!

Stand back - Linus loves.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    im seeing them in a few weeks for the first time.. excited as hell.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    Your....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    Enjoy it! The show was awesome....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

dude crazy laser....didn't look as insane in memory when I was there....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpDYp_c-Fk&feature=channel]YouTube - Muse - New Born Live Detroit 2010[/ame]
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PM5iTlmRE"]Deadmau5 - Brazil[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBcjgIUoeA"]Funkagenda - Man with the red face[/ame]

Over the past year I've seen my music taste turn inside out. Going from a concrete upbringing on rock & roll, I've become much more centered on House music. As of the past 6 months, I've spent every weekend trailing events around the UK as the electro music scene becomes more and more prominent and evolving it seems at each and every venue around the country. Its coming up to spring/summer season now. So its all about to explode. Big events so far this year have been Deadmau5 (possibly one of the best live electro acts in the world. see above), Eddie Halliwell, Above & Beyond, Eric Prydz, Sander Van Doorn and Funkagenda (see above). Next destination: The warehouse project in manchester for an act amongst many, named london Elektricity (see below). Build on the foundations of drum and bass, they have a much more chilled approach to the genre. Dance/Electro music is not everyones cup of tea. But there are so many variations and takes on every aspect of the music that wherever you go there is something new and fresh to be heard. Without a doubt it has the biggest uprising fanbase in Europe in terms of new music.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LERwqzaZXA"]London Elektricity - Just One Second[/ame]
    Last edited by Cotterik; 03-15-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Thread Information