Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to launch an awd car

how to launch an awd car

i've heard the things about how if you don't launch an awd car just so, you burn up the clutch so i was just wondering. How DO you launch an awd?

it depends on the car and the power.
    i have a 2.2L NA impreza, i can launch from 2500 to 3500 wiht no problems but with a car like the mucielago you need to get the car rolling before you apply the throttle.

say like my car with 450 hp 3.0 L 3000gt what should i launch from

That deal was legit? It seemed a little fishy to me. I wouldn't try doing anything that strains the clutch because was the clutch just replaced and still in the break in period? You can burn up a clutch on anything if you don't do it right, a kid with a neon at my school revs up to redline and just pops the clutch, he just replaced it because it kept slipping.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Not jsut the clutch, doing launches puts HUGE stresses on the engine and transmission mountings. You better make sure they are uprated or DESIGNED for launches before trying it.
    Seen a Matra Bagheera drop it's engine out the rear after one too many launches - tore the engine mountings apart
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Seen a Matra Bagheera drop it's engine out the rear after one too many launches - tore the engine mountings apart
    "New Feature In Matras's - Automatically tells you when your engine needs replacing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    "New Feature In Matras's - Automatically tells you when your engine needs replacing!"
    Haaaaahahahahahahah!!!!!!! Holy crap, that is crazy! The engine fell out?!!?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Haaaaahahahahahahah!!!!!!! Holy crap, that is crazy! The engine fell out?!!?
    Tore itself out of it's engine mountings, rotated in the engine bay and took a rear suspension arm out.
    Stupid bravado on the part of the driver.
    Too many "dump-clutch" starts and on a VERY grippy stretch of tarmac treated with the Shell anti-skid surface at a set of traffic lights
    The tyres had MUCH more grip than normal, the engine produced enough torque to tear the metallastic mounts. VERY liekly to happen to anyoen who increases their tyre grip either by sticky rubber r surface.
    he designers make assumptions about the loads engine mounts will face.
    rally Mini's ALWAYS have extra stabiliser bars fitted on top and extra mounts to the rear of the gear extension
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Tore itself out of it's engine mountings, rotated in the engine bay and took a rear suspension arm out.
    Stupid bravado on the part of the driver.
    Too many "dump-clutch" starts and on a VERY grippy stretch of tarmac treated with the Shell anti-skid surface at a set of traffic lights
    The tyres had MUCH more grip than normal, the engine produced enough torque to tear the metallastic mounts. VERY liekly to happen to anyoen who increases their tyre grip either by sticky rubber r surface.
    he designers make assumptions about the loads engine mounts will face.
    rally Mini's ALWAYS have extra stabiliser bars fitted on top and extra mounts to the rear of the gear extension
    Lesson here: Kiddies, Matras are not made for drag racing I can just hear the wife: Honey, what took you so long? Husband: err..I kinda left the engine behind!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Lesson here: Kiddies, Matras are not made for drag racing
    1442cc Simca engine -- you're bang on !!!

i thought neons were fwd? or were you talking of the just general launch process

i love in my moms car because of the turbo lag (albeint a small amount) when you smash the throttle it basically goes to 30 in a matter of about 2 secs, then BAM goes from there really fast, but that is a fwd car, and you can feel the torque steer, and it deosnt really "burn out" on launch

in my dad's audi you could floor it and there would be no slippage even in the rain, iyt was really great, just push and go, you didnt have to worry about traction
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

SRT-4 is awd... maybe he was refering to that. though maybe not
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

ok so srt is awd

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    SRT-4 is awd... maybe he was refering to that. though maybe not
    The SRT-4 isn't AWD af far as I know. It's FWD like other Neons.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

ooooooo burn hahahaha

Thread Information