Thread: Forum Needs To Update Daylight Savings

Forum Needs To Update Daylight Savings

I'm saying this now because I believe it's already happened around the world-and I'm still an hour behind. Just a reminder.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

I'm not quite sure on this but I know that some parts of the world (Indiana, bunch of Luddites in cornfields) don't observe Daylight Savings Time. It's an American invention from the Energy Crisis and not an act of God as some will tell you.
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

Its not from the energy crisis, I think it stems from the 1800s when the railroads became the first transportation to go anywhere fast enough to run into the time problem. So yeah I think thats where daylight saving times comes from or at least times zone comes from. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sutton4481
    I'm not quite sure on this but I know that some parts of the world (Indiana, bunch of Luddites in cornfields) don't observe Daylight Savings Time. It's an American invention from the Energy Crisis and not an act of God as some will tell you.
    Franklin and some philosphers basically came up with the idea during his time in Paris. It was written and published as a "funny story" a crazy notion to show how Paris coudl bring rules in to change man and nature.
    It was pretty much forgotten till the early 1900s and then an English builder - Willet - published a serious article on the "waste of daylight" and lobbied and a few years later Britain had "British Summer Time". Sadly AFTER he'd died after lobbying for years !!!
    Most folks followed suit after WW1.
    Ediburgh had the confusing case where Mons Meg was fired at 1 o'clock BST and the ball was dropped at 1 o'clock GMT. As both these wer meant as signals to sailors in the Forth to set their maritime clocks by it must have been fun They now BOTH go at 1 o'clock BST.

In Britain, we've even had double summer time - first tried during WW2 - to increase the usae of daylight and reduce the need for articifial lighting.

We've had it since inception.

America has had an on-off relationship with it and I think it is corect to say the last time it was re-enabled was during the oil crisis. If anyoen woudl like to share WHY it switches it's mind about the usefullness I'd be interested to here.

In the UK it often comes up as being unecessary any more, btu as Sctoland is further North, common sense tends to prevaila nd it remains much to our benefit.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by sutton4481
    Where the hell are you getting infor it was based on the energy crisis? Oh, and thanks for telling me that last bit, I ALWAYS thought it was God! silly me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Its not from the energy crisis, I think it stems from the 1800s when the railroads became the first transportation to go anywhere fast enough to run into the time problem. So yeah I think thats where daylight saving times comes from or at least times zone comes from. Whatever.
    That's time zones.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

I once heard they did it for the sake of farmers.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I once heard they did it for the sake of farmers.
    Well not really.
    If you knew any farmers you'd realise they basically work according to the daylight hours anyway and NOT by clocks.

it was mainly industry
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information