Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acura rsx type s

11 25.00%
  • mitsubishi lancer evo viii

33 75.00%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Acura rsx type s vs mitsubishi lancer evo viii

have you driven either of these cars? impossible to slide out ? yeah right, no lsd makes a car impossible to slide out, actually lsds make a car easier to slide out, if you had a car with open diffs then throttle will just make the inside tyre spin which has minimal grip and has least effect on the cornering attitude of the car, lsds make it turn tighter by sending the torque to the outside wheel, this if anything makes the car EASIER to spin out, perhaps you're thinking of stability and traction control, both of which arnt used in racing, well most of them anyways

the street type "active" diffs are too much trouble then they're worth, if the car was competition oriented then active diffs make more sense (theyd have to be ALOT better then the stock ones tho)

last time i checked the ayc unit had to be serviced every 4000 miles or something

the acd and dccd uses electromagnetic or hydraulic clutches (i dont know which one) hydraulics would add weight and a leak will severly affect handling, the electromagnetic ones should be better but from a purely engineering standpoint id prefer old school mechanical engineering to electrical, too many things can go on with electronics while mechanical parts are easier to maintain diagnose and treat

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    the street type "active" diffs are too much trouble then they're worth, if the car was competition oriented then active diffs make more sense (theyd have to be ALOT better then the stock ones tho)

last time i checked the ayc unit had to be serviced every 4000 miles or something

the acd and dccd uses electromagnetic or hydraulic clutches (i dont know which one) hydraulics would add weight and a leak will severly affect handling, the electromagnetic ones should be better but from a purely engineering standpoint id prefer old school mechanical engineering to electrical, too many things can go on with electronics while mechanical parts are easier to maintain diagnose and treat

Nothing hard about diagnosing electronics if you understand the system and have the specs as where sometimes it's harder to determine a mechanical untill you have it fully dissasembled. Ive driven evo's with and without AYC and I guess it's like ABS, it makes it a bit more fool proof, but alot of the better driver's would choose to go without it.
    UCP's Biggest Murph Fan, dont tell him though, he might think im a bit gay.

Thats me and Murph on the left. Im the taller one.

Put a 15 year old who has just got there licence in a an EVO with and without AYC and put them on a race track and tell them to go and set a new lap record, and then see which one gets around in the fastest time, I bet it would be the one with AYC, and now for a bit of a challenge make the track wet. . . .
    UCP's Biggest Murph Fan, dont tell him though, he might think im a bit gay.

Thats me and Murph on the left. Im the taller one.

Quote Originally Posted by Waatz
    Nothing hard about diagnosing electronics if you understand the system and have the specs as where sometimes it's harder to determine a mechanical untill you have it fully dissasembled. Ive driven evo's with and without AYC and I guess it's like ABS, it makes it a bit more fool proof, but alot of the better driver's would choose to go without it.
    i couldnt agree with you more, a good driver would do much better in a car without electronic aids like e throttle abs t/c s/c and ebd to a certain degree but a newbie driver would have to have all those on to stop himself from crashing

true with today's electronics all you need is a computer to see what's wrong and where its at but just the shear amount of electronic components involved makes the unit more succeptible to system failure since each part is crucial to the unit as a whole

also ive done programming quite a bit and i know how when there's just one variable thats faulty it throws the whole program outta whack and debugging the thing takes forever, in competition when reliability and performance are both equally important a good mechanical lsd still has its uses

getting these things serviced is easy as long as you get them done at a dealer, as they have dedicated diagnostic equipment, so all they have to do is plug in
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

its still making things more complicated then they have to be tho, you're also losing money each time you do it since a regular lsd is just as good and wont take as much time and money to run

if ayc and acd were optional on the cars where the stock car would have torsen and clutch type lsds then i think the car would do alot better since prices would go down and sales would go up

ayc and acd would really be for those hardcore enthusiasts who plan to rip out the interior, replace all the body panels with c/f and put a roll cage and tune the engine to give out 500 hp, those people will have the time resources and ability to eak out every last millisecond out of their lap times

Thread Information