Thread: How proprietary are digital dashes?

How proprietary are digital dashes?

I'm a big fan of digital dashes (I just like the aesthetics of them). I'm wondering, I'm sure there are some that are completely proprietary, but are there any that are swappable, especially within the same company? I'm thinking, Nissans and Mazdas.

I'm interested in how expensive or difficult it would be to put a digital dash in a 1990 rx7. I don't have much experience with this but I know how to solder and did ok in electronics in high school. Thanks in advance!

EXCEPT for the newest gen, they are swappable because they use the same ANALOG inputs - you MAY need to fit an extra pickup for road speed.
    Problem with newer cars is many of them ( well overe here anywa ) are now usign CAN busses and so it's digitial messages to turn things on/of and to read measurements.
    THESE aren't swappable unless you can reprogram them COPMLETELY
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    EXCEPT for the newest gen, they are swappable because they use the same ANALOG inputs - you MAY need to fit an extra pickup for road speed.
    Problem with newer cars is many of them ( well overe here anywa ) are now usign CAN busses and so it's digitial messages to turn things on/of and to read measurements.
    THESE aren't swappable unless you can reprogram them COPMLETELY
    Awesome! So I shouldn't have problems installing say, a working 300zx digital dash into an rx7? I wouldn't have believed it'd be so easy, that's awesome news for me, thanks!

What do you mean by an extra pickup for road speed though?

Quote Originally Posted by Airthrow
    Awesome! So I shouldn't have problems installing say, a working 300zx digital dash into an rx7? I wouldn't have believed it'd be so easy, that's awesome news for me, thanks!
    What year 300ZX ? I can ask mate who has oen and has pretty much changed most things on it
    What do you mean by an extra pickup for road speed though?
    All inputs to the dash can be different.
    Analog measurements of fuel, temperature etc can readily be accomodated with either simple voltage dividers or amplifiers to match them - or in the case of my daughters, just ignore that the temp is in the red until it goes high and to refil the tack when it reads quarter

The speedo however is a digital counter and it depends on the number of pulses per mph that the 300ZX supplied versus the RX7. SOME digital dashes have ersisters to control the dividers to handle differeign wheel sizes. SOME you can get a simple divider that matches them OR the easies is to fit a new sensor from the donor car on the propshaft or wheel.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I didn't have a particular year in mind, I guess around 1990 for the 300zx.

Uh-oh, that Speedometer part for the digital dash sounds a bit complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Airthrow
    Uh-oh, that Speedometer part for the digital dash sounds a bit complicated.
    Can eb as easy as fitting it to a push bike - pretty much the same technology

you could buy one, a lot of the digital speedo/tachos have data logging as well
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information