Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an RWD Car, want advice.

STAY AWAY FROM THE PRRRRRECIOUS!

You cannot protect the prrrrrrrecious..

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    it's only a car !!!!
    "Yep, I coudl never rally in one , I'd NEVER take any corner fast for fear of crashing it."

Turning back on your own words?

Oh now you're just being mean

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    "Yep, I coudl never rally in one , I'd NEVER take any corner fast for fear of crashing it."

Turning back on your own words?
    no coz rallying a car is 50mph faster than you'd ever consider going normally round ANY bend
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    no coz rallying a car is 50mph faster than you'd ever consider going normally round ANY bend
    But he was talking about the same thing I presume. An A610 on a rally stage

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    But he was talking about the same thing I presume. An A610 on a rally stage
    the thread's been about a ROAD car

Not being in the Aussie section I was stayign in context
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Can't believe no one's mentioned a Miata. Cheap, good on gas, RWD, near perfect weight balance. And you can get the tail out on a stock one. Not that I'd know that from experience or anything. That's illegal... Yea.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    I was going to say go with a bmw but, well u said no already.
    hey i was going to say go with bmw but, well u said it already

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Can't believe no one's mentioned a Miata. Cheap, good on gas, RWD, near perfect weight balance. And you can get the tail out on a stock one. Not that I'd know that from experience or anything. That's illegal... Yea.
    yes you can do it in stoick.

Though more fun in uprated versions. See http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...08&postcount=4

not a bad suggestion, that miata. You can pick up an old one for beans.

about pinging the rev limiter- your tires are going to be spinning with no traction, and your foot will be on the gas..the revs are going to start to climb. You can control it, if you're good, but you aren't good, or you wouldn't be asking these questions (no offense).

seriously, if you can manage to be seen in a camaro or fox mustang or etc, those will treat you the best. They are cheap, FR, some came with posi, and they have massive engines that you probably won't be able to kill if you tried. And if you did kill them, finding a replacement 305 or even 350 is like throwing rocks into a lake. Heck, I have TWO small blocks chevies at my house, but we don't own ANY chevies.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

i wouldnt go for the mr2 or miata (i finally came to my senses) due to the praticality issues, for me id pick the 2.5 rs just because it can be fun and fast when you want it to be and docile when you dont, also the insurance wouldnt be as high as on the 2 door coupes or convertibles

i know the 2.5 rs has a vicous center diff and performance speakingly thats not the greatest choice in the world but i would never be pushing it hard enough for it to matter, and since the 2.5 rs has no abs the center diff wont interfere with it since vicous diffs lock up under braking and acceleration, im not sure if the early american spec evos had this problem, i know the new ones now come with acd

cant think of aN good one
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    cant think of aN good one
    Do you want me to edit it?

BTW, what do you guys think of the old Celica Supras...like the 1986-1987?

not a bad suggestion, that miata. You can pick up an old one for beans.

about pinging the rev limiter- your tires are going to be spinning with no traction, and your foot will be on the gas..the revs are going to start to climb. You can control it, if you're good, but you aren't good, or you wouldn't be asking these questions (no offense).
    I don't think I'm good either which 1 of the reasons I want a cheap car. In case I mess up (not even while drifting but the transmission/clutch) it's not a huge loss.

For with it's worth, I'm very willing to learn, even just to be a good manual car driver

PS. you will most likely need an LSD with the 240sx on canada, without it, it'll screech the tires even on dry surface.(driving normal should'nt be that bad).

PSS the VLSD can be damaged if you do hard drifting, but normal every so many weekends drifting should be ok
    What do you mean by "on canada" and what do you consider "hard drifting"? Just more frequent?

Most likely my "drifing" will occur rarely since Illinois is a pretty flat state, tires are expensive, and not to many places to do it over all. Just something to try once in a while?

If I were to get a 240sx from 91-93 do you buys recommend changing the head gasket, timing chain, and what not?
    Last edited by KarateBoy; 04-27-2005 at 03:36 PM.
    Must learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by KarateBoy
    What do you mean by "on canada" and what do you consider "hard drifting"? Just more frequent?

Most likely my "drifing" will occur rarely since Illinois is a pretty flat state, tires are expensive, and not to many places to do it over all. Just something to try once in a while?

If I were to get a 240sx from 91-93 do you buys recommend changing the head gasket, timing chain, and what not?
    I though i saw a canada on yer info, sry.

if its rarelly then the VLSD will be fine, but if you are going to do it often, then no its not gonna be ok in the long run.
    on the timing chain there is 2 timing chain guides, and a tensioner(the top chain, not the bottom, there's 2 chains, 1 in front of the head and 1 in front of the block), you should remove the top 1 and driver's side chain guide, as those tend to make a rattling noise, and no it wont make the chain just run out as there is a tensioner.

the headgasket can actually last 100k + miles, but if there's smoke coming out of the exhaust, then yeah it should need to be replaced.

i've been told that the timing chain will last until it breaks, nissan says is a no-wear item.

as far as recalls i don't know of any except the TSB on the timing chain guides.
    there is 1 thing though, on 91-93 the hatchback(or fastback, not the coupe) after time 1 of the seals around the taillights can break and let water into the trunk(check for that, when i bought mine used with 180k, it had water in there).

more things can be found at http://www.240sx.org/faq/index.html
    (check the 1 with the idle issue, usually related to the IACV or the AAC)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

My friend just bought a 1992 Lexus SC400 its really nice, fast, and great interior.

Thread Information