Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good computer sites?

Good computer sites?

I am trying to get a collection of computer sites, and I could use some help, as I am not exactly......that experienced in these subjects. Do not actually go LOOKING for anything. Just post the links to any good ones that you actually know about. There are certain categories that I am looking into (no order of importance):
    1) Computer security (in general)
    2) Networking (not the kind for setting up a home network)
    3) Special software (E.G.: Honeynets, SSL, Kerberos, etc.)
    4) IPv6 info, and detailed information about internet protocols (FTP/TFTP, SMTP, TCP/UDP, etc.)

Do not spend your time looking! It would be nice.......but it really is not THAT important. Just post any good sites you might know about that have information about these things.

Thanks!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

well if your buing parts:

http://www.newegg.com (the changed the format of their site sadly, its a we harder to use.)
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    well if your buing parts:

http://www.newegg.com (the changed the format of their site sadly, its a we harder to use.)
    No parts. Mostly software-type stuff.

CNET is good and their techie section in http://techrepublic.com.com/ is one of the best for learning abotu anything to do with PC
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    No parts. Mostly software-type stuff.
    weeeeeeeeeeeelllll thennn......
    i guess id have to say....

UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    CNET is good and their techie section in http://techrepublic.com.com/ is one of the best for learning abotu anything to do with PC
    Damn Matra! Computers, guns, cars, religions........is there ANYthing you don't have a good understanding about? Great site by the way

EDIT: How do you change settings in Adobe? It wants all my .pdf files to be IE........but it somehow broke.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 05-05-2005 at 06:14 PM.

Damn Matra! Computers, guns, cars, religions........is there ANYthing you don't have a good understanding about? Great site by the way
    as said before and "damn you" for making me say it again ....

I've been around a long time and led a busy life My first "real job" was in computers and set business up with brother. back in 1976 when computers were big things kept in special rooms and only 'special" people got to touch them

Thansk, just added 20 year sto my age
    EDIT: How do you change settings in Adobe? It wants all my .pdf files to be IE........but it somehow broke.
    "Start" .. "control panel" .. "Folder options"
    "File Types" and scroll to PDF extension.
    Click on "Change" and pick Adobe from the program list.
    Bingo now Adobe will be used to open pdf files.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ok.......I have no idea what I was doing before. So: Not Adobe, anything that will work without Internet Explorer. Please tell me IE isn't neccasary for .pdf's.

EDIT: Got it, thanks Matra.

EDIT2: NOT GOT IT! WTF?! Now I get a continuous loop, where I save it/open it/open it with Mozilla, and it brings up Mozilla....and asks me what file I would like to open!
    Last edited by CdocZ; 05-05-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    [url=www.howstuffworks.com]wont really work here, will it?
    [/QUOTE]

Already have that listed.

ah, right. if you click on a pdf file on your computer it shoudl use Adove ( and if it doesn't you need to do the above )

If you click on a pdf file on a web site then by default your browser tris to open the docuemt using the browser window. So Adobe is staill called but now as a helper for the browser.

Right click and save to computer and then double click on it to open in Adobe or copy the url, open Adobe and chose "File open" and paste the url in the filename.

so quick to judge....
    Last edited by targa; 05-05-2005 at 06:38 PM.
    pondering things

Um.......goody goody.......another "wtf?!"! It turns out I somehow do not HAVE Adobe! So much for the illegal version of XP being worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    so quick to judge....[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't worry. It's just that I have A) used it up pretty much, and B) already have it on my list of sites. It's pretty well known, and rather accurate, if not very in-depth. Perfect for me right now.

Um.......goody goody.......another "wtf?!"! It turns out I somehow do not HAVE Adobe! So much for the illegal version of XP being worth anything.
    Adobe has nothing to do with Windows, never has and never will.

Go to www.adobe.com and d/l the free reader

Thread Information