Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper vs C6 (Fifth Gear)

Does anyone know who Chysler lost the rights to te Viper name to? And is that only for UK/Europe? Also, the Viper sucks because of its low technology. If it had communicative suspension and steering, and an output from its 8.3 litre engine that was slightly more than laughable then it'd be great, but it just isn't. Sure, it goes in a straight line well and pulls like a train out of a corner, but that's not enough for 70000+ pounds. Is it similarly expensive in the US? Dodge could have something magnificent with the Viper if only they put more engineering into it. Also, the original looked better.

Quote Originally Posted by What
    I'd say it's just....absolute....GARBAGE.

Why, o why, do American car companies allow their cars to be tested on Top Gear.
    Because if you dont' SUPPORT a Top Gear request to test a car they'll do it anyway and take the piss.

Anyone remember City Rover ?? One of THE best ever car tests EVER done on TV
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

In PERFORMANCE, yes, they do.
    Please list all aspects of what you consider PERFORMANCE and indicate the Viper's rating in your opinion for each.
    Thanks.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Because if you dont' SUPPORT a Top Gear request to test a car they'll do it anyway and take the piss.

Anyone remember City Rover ?? One of THE best ever car tests EVER done on TV

and Oh look here is the fiat pands the rovers biggest rival
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

The Viper sucks. I like this quote..

"There is not one thing I like about this car (the Viper), it's just absolute GARBAGE."
    Do you have any personal experience with this? Or do you just believe two guys who never gave a good review to an American sports car?
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Also, the Viper sucks because of its low technology. If it had communicative suspension and steering, and an output from its 8.3 litre engine that was slightly more than laughable then it'd be great, but it just isn't. Sure, it goes in a straight line well and pulls like a train out of a corner, but that's not enough for 70000+ pounds. Is it similarly expensive in the US? Dodge could have something magnificent with the Viper if only they put more engineering into it. Also, the original looked better.
    What makes the Viper great is its lack of Technology. A drivers car that doesn't need traction control, etc.. It’s a pure driving experience.That is incredibly fast around a track and in a straight line. I am willing to bet there are very few European cars that can keep up for under $100,000 (the SRT-10 is around $85,000 US)
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Please list all aspects of what you consider PERFORMANCE and indicate the Viper's rating in your opinion for each.
    Thanks.
    No, I will not make a list.
    I like the Viper's performance, I just don't like the car.

Chances are the reason you (What) and Top Gear and Fifth Gear hate it.......is because it was NOT meant to be driven as an everyday car: You got 505 screaming cubic inches in front of you, creating enormous heat, vibration, and noise. You have a car that has no comforts, except that you don't have to turn a key: you push a button. Only ABS brakes in terms of safety technologies, and it behaves like a car that will rip your head off if you force it to slow down.

That's why Viper's don't sell all too well: They are meant to be the big brutal monster, while the Corvette can be both your everyday car, yet still be your track car.

EDIT: Question and comment: If a Z06 were racing that Viper......of course it would win.......but the Z06 will be close in price

As for the new Z06, anyone know anything about how it's "attitude" will be? Will it be Viper-like and brutal, or closer to the C6's every-day-ability and track-day-ability? I hope it's closer to the Viper then the C6......it really has that look, and with how it's being made, that feel too.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 05-08-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by early93viper
    What makes the Viper great is its lack of Technology. A drivers car that doesn't need traction control, etc.. It’s a pure driving experience.That is incredibly fast around a track and in a straight line. I am willing to bet there are very few European cars that can keep up for under $100,000 (the SRT-10 is around $85,000 US)
    It's not the lack of technology that doesn't make it great, it's the lack of engineering. Compared to a TVR or a proper little English track car, they say it lacks feeling and doesn't communicate well.

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    Is the Viper not a performance car?

Quote Originally Posted by early93viper
    Do you have any personal experience with this? Or do you just believe two guys who never gave a good review to an American sports car?
    This BS again?

Of course they hated the Corvette didn't they? Not a single nice thing to say about it...

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Chances are the reason you (What) and Top Gear and Fifth Gear hate it.......is because it was NOT meant to be driven as an everyday car: You got 505 screaming cubic inches in front of you, creating enormous heat, vibration, and noise. You have a car that has no comforts, except that you don't have to turn a key: you push a button. Only ABS brakes in terms of safety technologies, and it behaves like a car that will rip your head off if you force it to slow down.

That's why Viper's don't sell all too well: They are meant to be the big brutal monster, while the Corvette can be both your everyday car, yet still be your track car.
    Poor excuse. "It's supposed to be rubbish."

I don't think so. No review I have seen outside the USA is complimentary about the Viper. I'm sure that is not to do with this silly notion of "prejudice" that all Americans seem to pull up as an excuse.

Who am I going to believe? The opinions of six or seven proffessional drivers and automotive journalists, or the league of American teenagers on the internet who spring to its defense without ever having driven it?

If it is even remotely plausible that every single automotive journalist in Europe is so prejudiced and racist as to not allow a good word to be said about the Viper; is it not just as plausible that all American reviewers are so patriotic that they can't stand to see the American car loose - proclaiming the Viper to be better than it is?

Why would it have been impossible for them to have an 8-litre V10 with a chassis that delivered good feedback, or easy to judge on-the-limit handling, or good braking performance?

I don't buy it at all I'm afraid.
    Thanks for all the fish

Ok, so Europeans don't like it. There happen to be dozens of magazine editors who agree with me here in America by the way.

Just because a bunch of journalists in one area do not like it, does not mean it absolutely sucks. Damn.......you piss me off sometimes with the "league of American teenagers on the internet who spring to its defense without ever having driven it?" comments. Why? Because you forget that A) as I mentioned, LOTS of journalists over here love the Viper on the track, and B) they are such generalizations, that that part alone is annoying.

If you disagree, say "I disagree". Not "I disagree and you are wrong, you foolish teenager", because that is NOT cool. Seriously, just say "I don't agree, because I have hear 'xyz', more often then I have heard 'abc'". The way you said it here sounds like you are trying to verbally harass and attack me.

Everybody needs to calm down a bit.

These guys drive Astons, Ferraris, Paganis and what not and giving a critique to a car that has a hard time beating another car that costs almost half as much and with a poorer power / weight ratio is really not hard for them.

Maybe the term "Garbage" was too harsh, but the Viper definitely needs some improvement.

I'd take the SRT-10 over the C6 though

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    I'd take the SRT-10 over the C6 though
    Well.....with all my love of the Viper.......it's getting VERY hard to decide (I still haven't fully decided).

EDIT: And coming from me, that should mean alot

Theres an answer to this : Tvr.

Thread Information