Thread: Government grant helps ensure leaner, greaner Falcon 6

Government grant helps ensure leaner, greaner Falcon 6

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Government gives Ford Bara a push
    James Stanford
    13may05

The Ford Falcon and Territory six-cylinder engine is to become leaner and greener.

A $28 million Federal Government research and development grant is likely to extend the life of the Geelong-designed and built Barra in-line motor.

There was a risk Ford Australia could stop making the engine and get a replacement from the global Ford family.

But the investment shows the engine has a long-term future.

Ford is tight-lipped about how it will spend the grant, though a key goal will be to reduce the engine's emissions in line with stricter standards beyond 2010.

"It has to be seen to be thoroughly modern, more fuel-efficient and deliver power in a more refined way -- those are the challenges," Ford Australia product development vice-president Trevor Worthington says.

"It is not saying that we are unhappy with what we have at the moment. This is just the responsibility we have," he says.

The 182kW 4.0-litre engine had an upgrade in 2002, including dual overhead camshafts with variable cam phasers and electronic throttle control.

The turbocharged version produces 240kW and 450Nm; the Ford Performance Vehicles' engine produces 270kW and 550Nm.

Ford says the $28 million, to be spent between 2006 and 2010, is significant, though it is dwarfed by investment poured into new vehicle projects, including $500 million for the BA Falcon.

The grant is from the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme.

"What we have been able to do through the ACIS program is go to the Government and say, 'The local engine provides great benefits for our customers, but also it is a great benefit to Australia'. It is the only locally developed and tested engine and is something that we are proud of. We want to keep it that way," Worthington says.

Ford wants to maintain its advantage of being able to tailor its powerplant for the needs of customers.

"It is a unique engine in the Ford world and that is fantastic for us because we understand what our customers are looking for," he says.

"We have found a way with the BA and the Territory to give them torque, technology, the four-valve head and the electronic throttle.

"We have been able to pick bits from around the Ford world and integrate and redesign them to give terrific value and great technology."

Herald Sun
    I am the Stig

advanced bullsh*t really. what a waste, i couldve retired or built the first ADC prototype with that money.
    The Datto will rage again...

A bit strange the Fed gov giving money to something you would think the state gov would give to. Maybe John and Peter and sucking Trying to win bracks vote's since he is a geelong boy
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

'Green' isn't exactly a word I'd associate with a V8...unless someone gave the Toyota Prius steroids! Honestly, the british government act like we all drive cars that huge...I'm envious of some of you guys from different parts of the world, partly because of gas / insurance prices (I face paying £1600+ to insure a 1.4 corsa!!!) and partly because british weather is a joke, although not a funny one.

Does anybody have any ideas for a fun car that I could insure when I've only just passed my test (UK)? As Billy Conolly said, the world's too full of people driving 'beige nissans'...you could replace the word 'nissans' with a number of marques and the word 'beige' with a million shades of grey but that comment still rings so true!

The article's not about a V8 though, its about a straight six
    I am the Stig

Thread Information