View Poll Results: For or against the chiptuning?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • For the chiptuning

27 90.00%
  • Against the chiptuning

3 10.00%

Thread: For or against chiptuning?

For or against chiptuning?

What do you think about this this practice?

Some people disapprove it, but it can increase the power, especially on turbo and diesel-engines.

Can it damage the engine?

Chipping an ECU is the fastest way to get a little more bump, or in some car's cases, a lot more bump. It remaps the timing to run on high octane fuel. The downside to this is if you try to run low octane fuel afterward, you'll get predetonation. That can harm the motor. But otherwise, there's little to no risk involved. Turbo motors usually benefit more than NA cars, because the ECU can be reprogrammed to allow more boost.

Just make sure you buy from a reputable manufacturer.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

After reading Quiggs there I say I am for it. Its most likely the future of car tuning since everything is getting more computer powered now-a-days.

I see nothing wrong with it.

could you explain why running the car on lower octane fuel after chipping might damage it? please

have always wondered and nows the time to inquire

cheers
    www.britishmods.co.uk

I don't like it because sometimes it can hurt your cars handling. I used to have one in my bimmer and it really hurt the cars driving skills.

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    could you explain why running the car on lower octane fuel after chipping might damage it? please

have always wondered and nows the time to inquire

cheers
    Higher octane fuels have a higher resistance to pinging/predetonation. With the extra timing that an aftermarket chip runs, it needs the higher grade fuel to burn fast enough. I've seen some nasty scorched pistons come out of cars that were predetonating. It's not a pretty sight.

Run the good stuff and you'll be fine.

I don't like it because sometimes it can hurt your cars handling. I used to have one in my bimmer and it really hurt the cars driving skills.
    Did change parameters of your stability controls? Or did it increase the torque beyond what the tires could handle? If it was the latter, you needed better tires to begin with.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I'm for it, it's an economic and easy way to increase your engine's out put. It's an investment that actualy improves performance, even if it's only a little. Better than spending money on rice.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

almost all road cars are tuned for economy and emmissions as their primary concern, if you're willing to make ur car not road legal and dedicated to the track there's no reason why you shouldnt have more agressive ignition timing and richer mixtures (or leaner depending on the car)

it's just the same as changing the jets and the valve timing that tuners have done for the last 60+ years !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

and at least u wont look like a chav with a little nova with a massive wing on the back, and an exaust made from kitchen pots stolen from their mums kitchen
    much preffer the idea of a chip u get all the benefits but non of the gay looks or asociation with chavs
    thats my view on things
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

I had my car chipped at just over 100000 km and is still running without any problems, 130000 kms later. (HDi 2.0 110 BHP to 135 bhp and torque from 250 to about 300 NM, trick is to increase turbo pressure). Economy is about the same between 16-18 km per litre.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I like the chips because they generally give your car a bit more power and are pretty cheap, well from the prices I have seen.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

the cheapest way to go is to get a "clone" chip from ebay...

basically someone gets a bunch of blank chips and the hardware needed to write a program to those blank chips, and then they buy a chip from a known tuner (AC Schnitzer in my case) and they make a bunch of copied "clone" chips that they sell for cheap (about $40, compared to hundreds for an original)

now im not sure if thats legal or not, and you cant always be really sure of what quality youre getting...

but all i know is that my clone chip bumped my rev-limiter up just past the end of my tach, and the overall power gain was much more than i expected...

i should record something so that you guys can hear the beautiful sound of an un-muffled 2.5L inline 6 at 7000+ RPM

so yeah, im for chips

Thread Information