Thread: Some "What To Buy" Help

Some "What To Buy" Help

To begin, I would like to apologize for not being the frequent poster I used to be, however, I have found I have much less time than I used to. I come to you now looking for help. It is time for me to get my first car. I am fairly open, however I have a few requiremnts/restriction:

$20,000 price cap (extra money = extra parts)
    Effective Airbags (dicouraging, however not eliminated older cars)
    The ability to outhandle others (rather than simply blow the doors off them [not ass essential])

Right now I am looking at a 2001 VW Jetta 24v VR6, which would leave me with approximately $8,000 for aftermarket parts.

Thanks again, all suggestions welcome
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

Quote Originally Posted by bk4uyeah
    To begin, I would like to apologize for not being the frequent poster I used to be, however, I have found I have much less time than I used to. I come to you now looking for help. It is time for me to get my first car. I am fairly open, however I have a few requiremnts/restriction:

$20,000 price cap (extra money = extra parts)
    Effective Airbags (dicouraging, however not eliminated older cars)
    The ability to outhandle others (rather than simply blow the doors off them [not ass essential])

Right now I am looking at a 2001 VW Jetta 24v VR6, which would leave me with approximately $8,000 for aftermarket parts.

Thanks again, all suggestions welcome
    As long as you're considering VWs, look into a Golf VR6. Same engine as the Jetta but lighter and better handling do to it's lighter weight. Good luck!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

How deep into mods are you looking to get? If you're going to leave it stock, or close to stock, the 24v VR is great. Lots of torque off idle, decent enough gas mileage. And there's that distinct sound. But if you're looking for more power, get a 1.8T. They're cheaper to insure, better on gas, lighter, and easier to upgrade. A chipped 1.8T will mop the floor with a chipped/exhaust/intake VR6.

There's the GLI models to consider, too. They came with both the 1.8T and VR6, with 6 speed manuals, Recaro seats, and special front and rear lips and sideskirts. They're a little more expensive, but they're nicer overall.

The above is assuming you're set on a Jetta. If you are, sign up on www.forums.vwvortex.com; it's the biggest VW forum in the world. There's a lot of great information, and they can answer any real specific questions about the MK4 platform that I don't know.

Edit: The Golfs only came with the 2.0L 4cyl. Economy motor to the extreme. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME MODIFYING ONE. The only exception to this is a few thousand 1.8T 2001 models they made. The GTI is a lighter platform than the Jetta. The Jetta GLI essentially has the same suspension and drivetrain as the GTI, except regular GTI 1.8T's have 5 speeds.
    Last edited by Quiggs; 05-25-2005 at 09:04 PM.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

a 91-98 nissan 240sx.....can be as low as $2000 for a shell and $10k for an rb25/26DETT with everything to get it installed by a pro and enough hp to outrun most stock cars, and it doesn't throw off the weight balance that much so handling would be the same.(or you can stay with the stock engine and turbo it, which can still outrun some stock cars that run 12s), upgrade some suspension parts and brakes(300zx slotted brakes are a good upgrade) and you can outhandle most stock cars, and still be under the 20k budget(with some leftover to go to legal race tracks). other options would be a used mustang GT(most years cept 05 and special models), SRT-4, a na supra, rx-7.....list goes on and on for 20k.

a Golf GTI sounds good too, like they're sayin on above posts.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

I'd say a nice VR6 is your best choice, err, what Quiggs said. I dunno much about the used American car market so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    other options would be a used mustang GT(most years cept 05 and special models), SRT-4, a na supra, rx-7.....list goes on and on for 20k.
    i probably wouldn't go with an RX-7 given the rising fuel prices
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

scooby / evo

obviously not the brand new one lol
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

stick with a golf or jetta. I bought my '01 BMW 330Ci for about 33,000 canadian, thats a bit more than 20,000 US but if you try to find the extra cash its worth it.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

definately 1985 carrera
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information