Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is swearing allowed?

I'm fine with swearing, as long as its in the proper context and not to lash out at someone else. But there's one thing i never quite understood. Why do people bother to censor themselves by putting "f**k" or something of the like. We all clearly know what it means and read it as if the word was written in full. Though I suppose it does show that you're considerate enough to at least think about what your going to post.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I checked some of your other posts and they all relate to secondary issues (personal attacks, referring to another wiste) and do not in any way reflect yor views on cars or other automotive issues, which is the priority topic of these forums. On the other hand I agree with you on the unnecessary use of swear words. Sarcasm and irony most of the time work better to p... somebody, but sometimes you need to address people in languague they are sure to understand.
    Good point. The key point to being at this forum is to talk cars and associate w/ petrol-heads. If you're coming here to just critique and then leave, it's not really worth it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I checked some of your other posts and they all relate to secondary issues (personal attacks, referring to another wiste) and do not in any way reflect yor views on cars or other automotive issues, which is the priority topic of these forums.
    I came here to learn. When the time is right, I'll start posting about cars. But for now, I learn from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario1999
    I came here to learn. When the time is right, I'll start posting about cars. But for now, I learn from others.
    your welcome, but then concentrate on the informative threads. There are a few around
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I would like to add something. My aunt lives by the lake and they have this small pier in front of the house which they share with neighbours. One day there was some guy sitting there and fishing. My aunt's neighbour went out to him and said politely:
    "Excuse me. Could you please remove yourself from here, because this is ours and we would like you not to fish here anymore ok?"
    The guy looked at her and said:"Huh?"
    And so my aunt went out (she is very small, but she had a dog which was almost as high as herself, so that might add some persuasive bonus) and she said something like:
    "What the f^^k are you doing here, you lowlife? Take your f^^ing fishing rods and get the f^^k outta here you f^^ing moron" The guy was gone in 5 seconds.
    I apologise for all the swearing and I assure you that my aunt isn't a vulgar person. The important thing was that unlike her neighbour, my aunt was speaking this guy's language and thats why he understood what she was saying.
    Swearing is sometimes "sort of" necessary and sometimes it can be funny.
    (South Park 502 - "It hits the fan")
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

Quote Originally Posted by emperor
    I would like to add something. My aunt lives by the lake and they have this small pier in front of the house which they share with neighbours. One day there was some guy sitting there and fishing. My aunt's neighbour went out to him and said politely:
    "Excuse me. Could you please remove yourself from here, because this is ours and we would like you not to fish here anymore ok?"
    The guy looked at her and said:"Huh?"
    And so my aunt went out (she is very small, but she had a dog which was almost as high as herself, so that might add some persuasive bonus) and she said something like:
    "What the f^^k are you doing here, you lowlife? Take your f^^ing fishing rods and get the f^^k outta here you f^^ing moron" The guy was gone in 5 seconds.
    I apologise for all the swearing and I assure you that my aunt isn't a vulgar person. The important thing was that unlike her neighbour, my aunt was speaking this guy's language and thats why he understood what she was saying.
    Swearing is sometimes "sort of" necessary and sometimes it can be funny.
    (South Park 502 - "It hits the fan")
    I think what did the trick was that your aunt had a big dog with her. If she had not had the dog, the guy fishing would have replied in a similar tone, did she even give him a chance to respond to your neighbor's polite "request"?

I try not to get agresive and use profanity unless provoked. Like my grandfather told me once: "Don't throw the first punch, but make damn sure you throw the last one."
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

90% of the time, it's being used to flame another member. The other 10% of the time, it's being used to describe something.

Why do we need this? It's almost asking for trouble. Seriously, which sounds worse:

"Your opinion sucks."
    Or:
    "Your opinion is shit."

It's not rocket science, people. Swearing only causes arguments.
    Bro you miss one!!! F@ck your opinion....now that is flaming stuff.
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Are you serious?

So someone questions why swearing is allowed.....Whoop-di-doo, get over it......Its not the end of the world, UCP is no more tarnished by Marios actions for raising a question.

remember when Mario first joined, he tried to shut the site down.........
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Yeah well theres alot of stories of what people did when they first joined, and you dont see everyone parading them around like chinese new year do you.
    I am the Stig

^^
    He above you. He talks now
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    remember when Mario first joined, he tried to shut the site down.........
    For god's sake, I was half joking. I didn't think you guys would take it so seriously.

Swearing gets the point across better and stresses the point more than other words.

But things I hate about cussing are when some people swear they yell the swear word out louder than any other word which is really annoying and tells me that they suck at cussing and should give it up. Some people are good at cussing and comes natural and makes what there saying sound more in depth and more interesting.

I mean after all, they are just words that people made up.

But seriously...
    Last edited by shr0olvl; 05-28-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl
    Swearing gets the point across better and stresses the point more than other words.
    Only if the person's vocabulary and intellect are limited. Any point accented by swear words can be answered the same way. An intelligent, well though out argument can't be refuted that easily.

But things I hate about cussing are when some people swear they yell the swear word out louder than any other word which is really annoying and tells me that they suck at cussing and should give it up. Some people are good at cussing and comes natural and makes what there saying sound more in depth and more interesting.

I mean after all, they are just words that people made up.
    How so swear words make anything more in depth and interesting??

But seriously...
    But seriously...what?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Only if the person's vocabulary and intellect are limited. Any point accented by swear words can be answered the same way. An intelligent, well though out argument can't be refuted that easily.
    Yeah, but that just takes longer to say what your going to say in a different way without curse words. Sometimes I like to make a quick conversation so why not swear and make it easier. I think im confusing myself now...

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    How so swear words make anything more in depth and interesting???
    I didn't say that. I said they make it "sound" more in depth and interesting.

Curse words are just words somebody made up like they did with other words except they just thought they would logo these words as "bad words" and should be cautioned when used.
    Last edited by shr0olvl; 05-28-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Finally, somebody who I agree with!
    I agree, too.
    I think swearing is completely unnecessary and so does Marilyn vos Savant, who is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records Hall of Fame for "Highest I.Q.":
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Thread Information