Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ****ing Bastard Alister Darling

****ing Bastard Alister Darling

anyone else seen this, in england we are now charging motorists to drive on the roads

it will cost between 2p and £1.34 per mile depending on traffic

darling says it will benefit motorists and the fee's arent ment to discourage them... yeah rite

but it will take 10-15 years to heppen
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

foolish badger
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    anyone else seen this, in england we are now charging motorists to drive on the roads

darling says it will benefit motorists and the fee's arent ment to discourage them... yeah rite

yeh but that might mean that people start taking a or b roads or start going throught villages isnt this going to damage the environment.

lol

Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    yeh but that might mean that people start taking a or b roads or start going throught villages isnt this going to damage the environment.

and will turn more traffic onto roads that arent ment for it

lol
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

same sh* t was tested here a few years ago.they wanted to stop other taxes for motorists , only taxes for driving x km were left. they made a test site over a highway near utrecht. i think 99,9 % of the people were against it.didn't got it eventually.

I understand the frustration that this measure causes. I wouldn't want it to happen also, as it is one more tax.

Nevertheless, from the point of view of Public Economics it is tottally justified. When you use a public good (public goods are the goods that are consumed by everyone, opposed to individual goods such as Coca-Cola for example) you must pay for it.
    The bus is a public good. When you use it, you pay the ticket. The road is a public good. When you use it you must pay a fee. The fee must be according to the distance and the significance of the road.

Up to now, there wasn't a similar tax anywhere in the world partly because it was technologically impossible to figure out how much you would be charged. But now the circumstances encourage such a measure. All European countries face heavy traffic as well as extensive pollution from cars. This law serves as an anti-incentive for motorists. This way the miles that Britain's cars cover will be reduced and hopefully as a result traffic will be reduced as well as pollution.

I'm not for or against this measure. It's like any other tax. The implementation of taxes is something that depends on the policy of each government, external factors and many, many other parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Up to now, there wasn't a similar tax anywhere in the world partly because it was technologically impossible to figure out how much you would be charged. But now the circumstances encourage such a measure. All European countries face heavy traffic as well as extensive pollution from cars. This law serves as an anti-incentive for motorists. This way the miles that Britain's cars cover will be reduced and hopefully as a result traffic will be reduced as well as pollution.
    There is a tax already. It's on the fuel that you buy. The government just wants to double dip for every mile driven.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Does Alistair Darling remind you of anyone?

Where'd I leave that gun?

The government is only doing that because they're set to lose about £50bn from fuel tax when we run out of oil in 25 years' time. They need the cash to attack innocent people
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang

what do we care. we live in the north. keep off the mways adn we'll be fine. laugh at all the suckers near the m25!

i'll be even better as i'm not near any mways really

Well it's not just the tax... to make this work they have to track every car by satilitte. That means they will also have the facility to track your speed too. So hello automatic speeding fines if you accidently go over the limit.
    UCP's MR2 Turbo Guru

It is so utterly, utterly stupid.

A good way to reduce pollution, and congestion in towns and cities is to disuade people from making unneccessary short trips.

Charging a piffling 2p per mile for these short trips isn't going to have any effect at all is it.

It should be £1.30 for trips less than a mile, and 2p for longer journeys.
    Thanks for all the fish

OK guys, what is the problem, when you take the toll motorways in France you pay about 10 eurocents per km. You pay in Italy, in Spain and a flat rate in Switzerland. Space is become a scarce good which can be priced. Lightweight gave a good introduction into public finance economies, Holland is considering a similar system, whereby the more you drive the more you pay. (It is like you consumption of electricity) You will also pay more when you drive on times when the roads are congested. Time and time again it has been proven that more roads will attract proportionally more traffic, so there is no other way to stop congesting by putting a related price on the use of the road. At the same time the fixed road taxes will be abolished, resulting in a system where the user pays.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information