Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just 6 drivers at USA Grand Prix

While I agree that the US has a lot more assholes than rest of the world ( maybe they are just more vocal here ) I don't see how that came into this situation, only Michelin and the FIA were involved. Its true that the crowds behaved badly, but we've seen much worse both in America and in Europe ( football ) where people have died in sports riots.

I don't know what Michelin could have done, obviously changing tires would be a violation of the rules, but earlier in this thread someone said the reason for Michelin's failures was in the actual method used to construct the tire, in which case they could definitely not do anything becasue there would be no way to make new tires in time for the race. I cant think that if the Michelin teams would have quit if there was any possible way for them to safely race, considering the money involved.

LOL, check out the tree... GO FERRARI!!!

(click for 500x350)
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Why? I'm not Canadian.
    There, I fixed it.

Wolf03 and aNOBLEman- don't stereotype, and if someone does, intentionally or by accident, don't respond with hostility- I thought there was more respect here than that.
    I wasn't stereotyping I was saying that he did and I was pointing out that I could do the same thing, but I didn't. With that said lets drop the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03
    Sorry about the stereotyping but you have to admit, is it just a coincidence that this is happening in the US?
    Please. We throw beer and water bottles at people. We don't shoot them getting off airplanes or burn down stadiums when a soccer team loses.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    i cant be bothered to read all 6 pages but i have one thing to say...

The F1 really dissapoint me this time... i would chuck a rubish bin onto the track if i was there, those people paid a hell lot of money to see the once a year event in their country and all they got was 6 freakin cars on the track.... the FIA should've just open the chicane.

damn i wasnt even there and i'm pissed off!
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Please. We throw beer and water bottles at people. We don't shoot them getting off airplanes or burn down stadiums when a soccer team loses.
    Yeah, this stereotyping gets out of hand. You're telling me you wouldn't be pissed after spending $120 US Dollars or whatever to get a seat and travel to Indy to watch 14 of the best cars (minus Ferrari) just go to the garage?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Yeah, this stereotyping gets out of hand. You're telling me you wouldn't be pissed after spending $120 US Dollars or whatever to get a seat and travel to Indy to watch 14 of the best cars (minus Ferrari) just go to the garage?
    i would offcourse not be happy.i would find the nearest seats and crash them.I wouldnt trow stuff on the track, endangering the drivers who couldnt really do anything about this.

If the tires are not safe, i understand the teams and Michelin.Even though they know this COULD be a dangerous sport they try to minimize the risk as would everyone.if you could go out of the house in a blizard and are almost certain to crash your car,injuring yourself, or you could wait a day and be perfectly safe, what would you do ???

I find it brave of these teams that they make a fist against Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA.After complaining a lot about tires/other stuff to the FIA, they finally make it clear that if nothing happens they will not race.the drivers safety comes first,as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by McLarenMercedes press release
    F1 Indianapolis: Joint Press Release from the Michelin Teams

Indianapolis, Jun 19, 2005
    Following Ralf Schumacher’s accident on Friday morning, we were advised by Michelin that none of the tyres that were available to the teams could be used unless the vehicle speed in turn 13 was reduced. Without this Michelin did not consider the tyre to be safe to be used for the race.
    All the teams are confident in Michelin and trust their advice as we know they are competent and responsible and their written instruction to us not to race unless changes to the circuit were made was accepted.

After final data from Michelin became available at 06.30 on Sunday morning it became clear that Michelin were not able to guarantee the safety of the drivers. Numerous discussions and meetings took place to find a safe solution to the problem. Every possibility for the race to go ahead in a safe manner was explored. The only practical solution was for a chicane to be installed prior to Turn 13 and nine of the teams were prepared to run under these conditions even forgoing championship points or by allowing non-Michelin teams to take top positions on the grid.

Unfortunately all proposals were rejected by the FIA.

Safety is always the first concern of any team and the FIA. Regrettably the teams were obliged to follow Michelin’s requirements not to race.

We are totally aware that the USA is an important market for Formula One and there is an obligation for Formula One to promote itself in a positive and professional manner. It is sad that we couldn’t showcase Formula One in the manner we would have liked today.

The date of the USA GP is well known in advance. The layout of the track is wellknown, all forces that will affect the cars and the tyres can be totally computer simulated these days. So what is required of the tyre manufacturers? That they come up with a tyre that meets the requirements of this particular track. That means a compromise between the level of grip required on the very slow infield part of the track and the strength of the left rear tyre to survive the forces in turn 13. The car manufacturer will set up his car with a similar compromise, and will start working from there.

Now if one tyre supplier can not guarantee that his tyre is strong enough to stand the expected forces it is a bit of a mockery to request for track changes. That would throw all the work done by the other tyre supplier into the bin. So the statement of the Michelin teams that FIA refused to change the track layout is pathetic, because this is supposed to be a level playing field, and if one group gets it right and the other does not, then it is the latter's problem and the first group should not suffer from it.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

f1 started doing downhill ever since the f1 body and fia will do whatever "legally" nesassary for ferrari to win.

i guess that's because ferrari don't really win in other major touring championships any more. F1 is the only thing they really have any dominance over.

michilin have the modified tyres which can be used on the race day and these modified tyres will safely last the entire race, however, the f1 rules states that f1 car must use one set of the tires for the qualify and the race, so new tires are a no no.

and as everyone knew already, ferrari is the only one wouldn't agree to the simple modification to the track. well they didn't want to lose this oppontunity to gain points. and unfortunately fia and the f1 body are once again in favor of ferrari than the sport itself.

i wouldn't say f1 sucks, but its certainly not as entertaining as it use to be. and the demonstration of sportsmanship by ferrari is just disgraceful. i'm not sure if Enzo was alive he would have love the way his gp race team is doing, but then again, they said Enzo was an arragont man any way.
    Last edited by KELSA; 06-20-2005 at 01:06 AM.
    '67 Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
    '06 Honda Accord

Maybe Ferrari might win a race for once!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KELSA
    michilin have the modified tyres which can be used on the race day and these modified tyres will safely last the entire race, however, the f1 rules states that f1 car must use one set of the tires for the qualify and the race, so new tires are a no no.
    So shouldn't Michelin have brought the slower, possibly safe tyres to Indianapolis soon enough that the teams could have used them in the qualifying. Aren't they obliged to bring two different types of tyres on each circuit so there is a slower, yet more durable tyre for the teams to use if necessary. Put it this way and the blame is on Michelin again.

But in the end, to who are the races organized for?

If the answer is the teams and the drivers, then the only ones who didn't do they're job was Michelin. The FIA's as well as Bernie Ecclestone's hands were tied from doing anything. Also it wouldn't have been fair to even ask Ferrari about building a chikane in turn 13, that would simply have been unsportsmanlike.

However if the answer is the spectators, then FIA should have accepted the proposition of building a chikane and wait until the end of the race (with 20 cars) to see what happens. Probably Ferrari would have protested and maybe the race points would not have counted in the championship or something else radical. Then at least the spectators would have had their race.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark
    However if the answer is the spectators, then FIA should have accepted the proposition of building a chikane and wait until the end of the race (with 20 cars) to see what happens. Probably Ferrari would have protested and maybe the race points would not have counted in the championship or something else radical. Then at least the spectators would have had their race.

with all due respect but I would never pay the amounts of money now being asked for entrance fees for something that is broadcast life on TV. That is were Bernie has put his stamp, and that is where the spectators loose out heavily.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by KELSA
    f1 started doing downhill ever since the f1 body and fia will do whatever "legally" nesassary for ferrari to win.
    If that is your starting point I don't think you can make any valuable contribution to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    If that is your starting point I don't think you can make any valuable contribution to this discussion.
    OWNED

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    with all due respect but I would never pay the amounts of money now being asked for entrance fees for something that is broadcast life on TV. That is were Bernie has put his stamp, and that is where the spectators loose out heavily.
    maybe once, for "beig there" but i certainly wouldnt go every year/race...

Thread Information