Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIA releases official 2008 details...

FIA releases official 2008 details...

http://formula1.com/news/3272.html

Thats just SUUUUCH a great picture of Mosley there isnt it
    I am the Stig

That doesn't sound half bad, although it might take the cutting edge away a bit. On the other hand it will most likely offere more competition on the track. Although I am not convinced that the sport needs to be more competitive on terms of pace between the teams, but it would benifit from more action on the track. In recent years only the 2001, 2002 and 2004 seasons were really predictable, and there has come an end to that for now.

The opportunity of being complete cars might convince more teams to enter, which is a good thing, because a twenty car grid is a bit silly.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

These new proposed rules all suck except for the reintroduction of slicks and manual gearboxes. The rest standardise the competition far too much and prevent a lot of the innovation on which formula 1 prides itself. Using standardised ECUs and brakes effectively kills off any potential for originality in these areas and is going to hurt the sport IMO. The FIA have been wrecking the sport slowly for a long time now, and this just caps it off.

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    meh.... formula1 will soon be just another race event in the weekend...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    These new proposed rules all suck except for the reintroduction of slicks and manual gearboxes. The rest standardise the competition far too much and prevent a lot of the innovation on which formula 1 prides itself. Using standardised ECUs and brakes effectively kills off any potential for originality in these areas and is going to hurt the sport IMO. The FIA have been wrecking the sport slowly for a long time now, and this just caps it off.
    The reality is quite different from your romantic view of the sport. If they let this technology run continue, only very few teams will be able to survive. With the tabacco company's pulling out, the funds are drying up quickly. Take Toyota for example, they have pulled out all stops for four seasons now and still have not taken a victory. Teams like Jordan and Minardi will not survive forever and a 14 car grid is not what we want either.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think that F1 desperately needs a new technology revolution. We are stuck on wings, ground effects and carbon fibre. These things are there for almost 30 years. They can come up with something new.... A new material stronger than carbon (NASA has stopped using carbon as too out of date.....) or something to enhance grip. This would revolutionize the sport and we wouldn't argue about who likes manuals or who wants what to fulfill his taste.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    I think that F1 desperately needs a new technology revolution. We are stuck on wings, ground effects and carbon fibre. These things are there for almost 30 years. They can come up with something new.... A new material stronger than carbon (NASA has stopped using carbon as too out of date.....) or something to enhance grip. This would revolutionize the sport and we wouldn't argue about who likes manuals or who wants what to fulfill his taste.
    I think grip levels are currently restricted by the human body.

(Ted Joans)

just the fact something is old dosent mean you should stop using it.
    america's precious "declaration of independance" is old, they havent moved on.

the UK monarchy is certianly not vouge at the moment, they dont move on.

i fail to see where new materials come into this. everything in F1 is limited by the FIA and burney Eclestone (SP?).

IF the machines were allowed FREE run of materials, cars would be 50% faster (just from downforce advancements (underbody ground effects) within the first few months. furthermore within two years cars would weigh alot less, be more reliable (rather then just being able to drive barely 300KM, stronger, and have more Kw at the right foot.

It all comes down to driver safety, thats why there are limits. better technology such as tyres and a different material (granted 80% of the car is CF (NOT including the engine) would have little impact on the governing body, just a few miliseconds off laptimes.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    Using standardised ECUs and brakes effectively kills off any potential for originality in these areas and is going to hurt the sport IMO. The FIA have been wrecking the sport slowly for a long time now, and this just caps it off.
    Well the BIG problem with the ECU is they can STILL not be sure that teams aren't secretly running traction control and launch control systems making the CAR do the driving rather than the driver.

They've struggled with this for a few years now and I do have to accept that the ONLY way they can be sure is to provide sealed ECUs to all teams.

As safety is important then the drive to exotic materials in brakes whcih unfortunately mean HUGELY differing braking distances and catastrophic failure modes their hands are tied if they still want F1 to be a sport where the spectators can get within 200m of the track I'd rather see them devise a standard test for brakes and that it must pass before any team can adopt them. Bit like the tub crash test used today.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    i fail to see where new materials come into this. everything in F1 is limited by the FIA and burney Eclestone (SP?).
    and proposed by the designers, consultants and constructors.
    The FIA-phobia is out of place
    IF the machines were allowed FREE run of materials, cars would be 50% faster (just from downforce advancements (underbody ground effects) within the first few months. furthermore within two years cars would weigh alot less, be more reliable (rather then just being able to drive barely 300KM, stronger, and have more Kw at the right foot.
    Ah how short memories are.
    The problem with untethered ground force it THEN requires perfectly smooth tracks to prevent unpredictable handling. We do NOT want F1 circuits to become boring ovals and we MUST keep tracks with interesting undulations and height variations. SO you cannot rely on increased ground force. The Porsche and Audi crash in prototype racing proved that clearly in recent years !!!
    How do you imagine in your wildest dreams that cars coudl be 50% faster ?
    Check out the lap records in recent years
    You misunderstand racing design. Components since Colin Chapman's days are designed to last about 10% longer than they are required to. ANYTHING longer is a waste of material IF F1 races are required to be 12 hour races then you'd have engines that on average lasted longer. They're not and they don't.
    More power isn't the right answer as it increases speeds and THAT will mean having to have larger gravel tracks, walls FURTHER away form the track and that means spectators even FURTHER away. Tracks that are tight and narrow become "unsafe" and races removed from them. Personally I NEVER want to see F1 reduced to racing on ovals coz it's the only place the cars are stable.
    NO THANKS.

Returning to DRIVER CONTROL on clutch and gearbox is great.
    Increasing rubber and reducing aero will be good for racing - assuming the designers dont' find ANOTHER way to sneak aero aids back in
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

you seemed to have missed my point, or gotten it and twisted it around...

im not agruing with these things, and i agree, the clutch and gearing is a good idea.

and ovals are reserved for KART, and nascar *sleeps*
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    you seemed to have missed my point, or gotten it and twisted it around...
    my sorry.
    and ovals are reserved for KART, and nascar *sleeps*
    Comparing classic tracks with modern tracks there is about the same difference between modern tracks and ovals - it might happen that way over the next 20 years

My thoughts...|
    ....................|
    ....................|
    ....................|
    ...................\|/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    eat cicada

I think the key word here is "proposals". The FIA will propose these changes to the major teams and they will probably turn their noses up at most of them. There are too many things there that will take too much advantage away from the big money teams, and they would never agree to them all. They will most likely end up coming to some sort of compromise. I certainly can't see them taking away 90% of down force, it'll probs end up more like 70% I reckon.

And I certainly can't see them agreeing to let other teams buy FULL cars from the manufacturers. Engines and chassis tubs maybe, but not the whole nine yards.

I don't really understand the bit about controlling the materials used on the cars' bodywork. Don't all the cars use carbon fibre all over the bodywork anyway?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    And I certainly can't see them agreeing to let other teams buy FULL cars from the manufacturers. Engines and chassis tubs maybe, but not the whole nine yards.
    Given the lack of money that will be floating around the F1 pool in the years to come i can see ALL the major manufacturers wanting to be able to sell complete cars, hire out complete teams etc etc The SETUP is going to be where the real skill is anyway, so it's not like the teams are ever goign to be "equal"
    I don't really understand the bit about controlling the materials used on the cars' bodywork. Don't all the cars use carbon fibre all over the bodywork anyway?
    Notice how this last couple of seasons they've brought in rules abotu deflection of the c/f wings etc. They could chose to go even more exotic and strt using some of the REALLY clever materials in current top line military aircraft !! Stopping them heading that route is a good option to keep prices down ( assumgin everyeon agrees cost is the biggest problem - I don't )

Thread Information