Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ten tenths in one tenth

Here are some photos of what's on the workbench:
    This is the project 930 engine in 1/8th scale. I had some good reference photos of just the crankcase and the rest was extrapolated from a somewhat confusing single view assembly section drawing that I lifted from an old Porsche book.
    Needless to say, everything was scratchbuilt from Evergreen styrene plastic.
    Ooops, almost forgot...the other site is www.rccaraction.com and my entries can be found in the forums area under "Bodies - Painting and Detailing" and user name of mikevillena. You might have to go back a page or two since I haven't posted in a few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tenthmodeler; 07-13-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenthmodeler
    PS: The earlier reference of a "longtail" A110 stems from a vague recollection of an old Heller model kit from the 70's. I'm not entirely sure so I could be wrong.
    hmm, there were long tail A110 track specisla, but I think you might mean the A210.
    Is it the one mentioned here -- http://www.renault-alpine.com/modell39.shtm ??

I've a few historic pics of the A210 in the pits at Le Mans.
    There is also one that competes in the Classic Le Mans, Wouter may have some pics and certainly a google will turn up a few.

There is a guy in Ilinois currently building a FULL SCALE replica of the A210.
    If it's that one you want to scratch build then you could do a wee trip and see what he has. I'm presusiming he must have factory drawings
    EDIT: see http://www.historicracecar.com/index.htm

PS: I've a couple of the A210's in my "kit stash", but too small a scale to help I tihnk. But happy to assist in any way.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-14-2005 at 05:02 AM. Reason: found the site
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

PS: The earlier reference of a "longtail" A110 stems from a vague recollection of an old Heller model kit from the 70's. I'm not entirely sure so I could be wrong. As you can tell, I have a soft spot for French automobiles (I still miss the old R5 with the foot pump operated windshield washer and the fabric sunroof).
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ead.php?t=2691

the longtail is in there
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    hmm, there were long tail A110 track specisla, but I think you might mean the A210.
    Is it the one mentioned here -- http://www.renault-alpine.com/modell39.shtm ??

I've a few historic pics of the A210 in the pits at Le Mans.
    There is also one that competes in the Classic Le Mans, Wouter may have some pics and certainly a google will turn up a few.

There is a guy in Ilinois currently building a FULL SCALE replica of the A210.
    If it's that one you want to scratch build then you could do a wee trip and see what he has. I'm presusiming he must have factory drawings
    EDIT: see http://www.historicracecar.com/index.htm

PS: I've a couple of the A210's in my "kit stash", but too small a scale to help I tihnk. But happy to assist in any way.
    That's the one!!! Alpine A210!!!!
    Wow, the fact that someone in Illinois is actually working on something that is relatively obscure really blows me away. What is equally amazing is your depth of sources and of course, your kit stash. The only Alpine model I have on hand is the Fujimi 1/20th scale Alpine A310 V-6 (Monte Carlo) still unbuilt for lack of an instruction sheet. As to scratchbuilding an A210 in 1/10th, I have those two painted A110 bodyshells that I could possibly rework. The biggest hurdle would be references. How vastly different are the two cars (bodywork and mechanicals)? Hmmm...could be a real challenge, but then againn, I'm in the midst of scratchbuilding that Porsche engine so... Anyway, thanks for the info. I still have to work up the nerve to contact Msr. Boode so I'll let you know.
    Mike Villena
    PS. Didn't Tamiya release an Alpine A110 kit in 1/24th recently?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Hey henk4,
    You are correct!!! Oddly enough, my recollection was from a very rare AMT double kit that I had seen sometime in the 80's. AMT actually released some of the Heller 1/24th scale cars domestically (in the U.S.) as double kits back in the late 60's and early 70's. I once had the Porsche 907(?) and Ferrari 330 P4 double kit. Being ignorant, I built the kits and then traded them away many years ago! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID me!!!!

Evidently, the mods at RC CAR ACTION's forum has put my build notes away on archive so I'll have to write a fresh set. I'll post them here as soon as they are finished.

Hey henk4,
    You are correct!!! Oddly enough, my recollection was from a very rare AMT double kit that I had seen sometime in the 80's. AMT actually released some of the Heller 1/24th scale cars domestically (in the U.S.) as double kits back in the late 60's and early 70's. I once had the Porsche 907(?) and Ferrari 330 P4 double kit. Being ignorant, I built the kits and then traded them away many years ago! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID me!!!!
    Porsche 908, the P4 was later reissued by Union and can still be found regularly, an amazing kit.
    Tamiya has just issued an A110 which is no more than their previous A110 with some additional Cartograph stickers to depict a Monte Carlo participating car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That's the one!!! Alpine A210!!!!
    Wow, the fact that someone in Illinois is actually working on something that is relatively obscure really blows me away.
    One of the reasons I *USED* to always bang on about putting location in peoples UCP profile.
    It takes 10 seconds and means you can get LOTS of info like that !!
    What is equally amazing is your depth of sources and of course, your kit stash.
    The nic ( and the age ) aren't just for fun
    The only Alpine model I have on hand is the Fujimi 1/20th scale Alpine A310 V-6 (Monte Carlo) still unbuilt for lack of an instruction sheet.
    hmmm.... It's not at the front of my "stash" I'll need to go digging.
    Do you mean this one ??

If , yes, I'll get the instructions scanned and e-mail them.
    As to scratchbuilding an A210 in 1/10th, I have those two painted A110 bodyshells that I could possibly rework. The biggest hurdle would be references. How vastly different are the two cars (bodywork and mechanicals)? Hmmm...could be a real challenge
    The best reference would be the "yellow" Alpine book.
    Fracnois Hurel's "Alpine at Le Mans" has some facts and lots of pics. Again, I can get bits for you, but wuth >30 pages devoted to the A210 it coudl take a while
    There's quite a lot of difference between the A110 and the A210 and if you get into suspension details then it can get HUGE - some A210s ran with hydropneumatic suspension
    The body details are sufficiently different that I think you'd have trouble modelling the 3d curves. BUT having seen some of the work maybe not, eh
    The Mille Miles magazine featured the A210 in No2. Sadly I dont' have that one, but coudl ask around guys in the club. Someone will
    PS. Didn't Tamiya release an Alpine A110 kit in 1/24th recently?
    It's been around for ages, may have gone out of production and re-released recently though !! A nice kit of a standard A110. With your skills I'd love to try a full on GrpIV rally AND race version ( with long tail ). I await your "guide" with interest and awe !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The only Alpine model I have on hand is the Fujimi 1/20th scale Alpine A310 V-6 (Monte Carlo) still unbuilt for lack of an instruction sheet.
    I could send you a copy

Pieter's copy is more accessible than mine - the downside of too-large-a-stash-not-enough cupboards

Here are pics from the 2 A210 kits I have. Any details I can glean from those, pics of sprues, instructions etc, just let me know.

Some basic info at http://www.renault.com/gb/passion/co...alpinetypea210
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found my copy, pm/mail me to see how we can go from here.

Hey gang,
    I'm currently uploading over 50 images at the inage hosting site for the Eunos step-by-step build up, so it might take a while. I'll be back.

Thread Information