Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The Best american car ever made

Its the thought that counts
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    and this is second

yenko camaro
    Why would that be second?

It's a ~ 350 HP (SAE NET) L72, iron engine of ancient design installed in a car with a lousy suspension, terrible steering, no over-drive, no brakes to speak of, virtually non-existent structural rigidity and next to nothing in terms of luxury and safety features. Oh, I forgot to mention that it got ~ 12 miles/gallon (while spewing lot of lead into the air).

Something as mundane as a new Chrysler SRT8 is a better car in every imaginable way and that's pretty far from the top of the list.

A new, base model Corvette would make that Camaro seem anemic by every measure.

Quote Originally Posted by harddrivin1le View Post
    Why would that be second?

It's a ~ 350 HP (SAE NET) L72, iron engine of ancient design installed in a car with a lousy suspension, terrible steering, no over-drive, no brakes to speak of, virtually non-existent structural rigidity and next to nothing in terms of luxury and safety features. Oh, I forgot to mention that it got ~ 12 miles/gallon (while spewing lot of lead into the air).

Something as mundane as a new Chrysler SRT8 is a better car in every imaginable way and that's pretty far from the top of the list.

A new, base model Corvette would make that Camaro seem anemic by every measure.
    Why don't you leave it? We get it, you hate old muscle cars. No need to go through every thread to demonstrate it.

No wonder a 40 year old car will be slower than a brand new one. Of course technology has advanced, if not what have they been doing these years?

Furthermore if he likes the old Camaro, what's wrong with that?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Why don't you leave it? We get it, you hate old muscle cars. No need to go through every thread to demonstrate it.

No wonder a 40 year old car will be slower than a brand new one. Of course technology has advanced, if not what have they been doing these years?

No point asking him I have on numerous occasions why he gos to threads about old cars and prattles on about them or compares 40 year old technology to current GM v8s both of which are pointless and show his lack of people skills.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

There's nothing wrong with that.

But the title of this thread is "The Best American Car EVER Made."

A 350 HP (SAE NET) crate with leaf springs, archaic suspension geometry, poor structural rigidity, terrible noise/vibration/harshness characteristics, lousy brakes, horrendous fuel economy (and emissions), laughable steering, no O.D. transmission, poor seats and next to nothing in the way of luxury or safety equipment simply doesn't qualify.

I am tempted to say the new Corvette, although that's hardly the "best" if one wants to drive 4 people through a snowstorm while hauling a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by harddrivin1le View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that.

But the title of this thread is "The Best American Car EVER Made."

A 350 HP (SAE NET) crate with leaf springs, archaic suspension geometry, poor structural rigidity, terrible noise/vibration/harshness characteristics, lousy brakes, horrendous fuel economy (and emissions), laughable steering, no O.D. transmission, poor seats and next to nothing in the way of luxury or safety equipment simply doesn't qualify.

I am tempted to say the new Corvette, although that's hardly the "best" if one wants to drive 4 people through a snowstorm while hauling a trailer.
    This is a forum and a forum means opinion. And the opinion is subjective. There's no wrong or right.

Furthermore what is "best"? Is "best" restricted to numbers? I think not. There are a lot of other considerations that can't really be measured which are important, and this is where the definition of best can vary greatly.

Just an example. A Jaguar E-Type is rubbish and yet a great car. If you can understand that you'll see my point.
    Visca Catalunya!

Just an example. A Jaguar E-Type is rubbish and yet a great car. If you can understand that you'll see my point.
    I personally dotn like them much at all but Ill never judge anyone for liking them normally I find asking why will give a satisfactory answer why this strange looking british car is so popular the world over.

Like how I dont like minis plenty of people out there love them but minis are good cheap ways into historic motorsport,cheap to drive,recognizeable (people from 10-100 can spot one) and have alot of history behind them and if you cant properly admire that as opposed to faint praise (im sure they where ok for the time) then you really shouldent say anything at all.

Well to be honest the E-Type isn't my favourite car ever either. I just picked it as an example.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well to be honest the E-Type isn't my favourite car ever either. I just picked it as an example.
    Its a good example its a much loved car its a perfect example to get your point out

On my list would be:

1. Volkswagen Fox (my dad has this with newly replaced parts)

2. Ford Mustang

3. Toyota RAV4 - my all-time favorite car (I choose not to upgrade this one)

Quote Originally Posted by kerwin View Post
    3. Toyota RAV4 - my all-time favorite car (I choose not to upgrade this one)
    Um I'm not sure but American car doesn't mean Japanese car manufactured in USA.

Chaparral 2D-The most beautiful American car ever made, with the GT40 a close second.
    "That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

i go with best looks 1/4 mile for production car not hand assembled,
    70 hemi dart,
    best handling ford gt,
    best family car 89-97 thunderbird handles great good pick up not bad styling,
    best milage per gallon Hmmm dont know
    best top speed i like viper gtsr,

best bang for the buck olde 70 340 duster $2,900
    best bang for buck lately mustang gt,

cars ive owned 70 340 duster
    70 charger rt 440
    71 charger se 440-6
    70 monte carlo ss 454 ls5
    70 chevelle ss 396
    70 chevelle ss 454 ls5
    68 fire bird pirated 454 ls6
    69 dart 500 cid hemi stage v conversion heads
    74 vega 350 Lt1 home brewed
    70 duster 440 home brewed
    70 nova ss396

89 tbird sc 5 spd
    90 tbird sc 5 spd
    92 tbird sc 5 spd
    91 tbird sc 5spd

23 T bucket 331 hemi
    and a pt cruiser we wont ever mention again

yes i like tbird sc's i have to i make speed parts for them

Im hoping mopar builds this concept cuda http://http://rides.webshots.com/album/44127527Torgbo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mannysc; 04-28-2008 at 09:22 PM.

my opinion might no matter right here but let me show my list of american cars:

1st: Dodge Charger Daytona/Plymouth Superbird
    Reason: NASCAR wing cars running on the street are exclusivity and perfection

2nd: Pontiac GTO '69 "The Judge"
    Reason: I'm a great fan of GTO's, and IMO is the greates muscle cars ever built

3rd: Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 '67
    Reason: The GT500 is a real and expensive racing car, deserving a sopt in a Top-5

4th: Chevrolet Corvette C2 Sting Ray
    Reason: The Sting Ray is for some fans, and is legendary.

5th: Dodge Viper
    Reason: This is one of the sexiest cars ever, once upon you look to one of those, you wanna drive it until it reaches the limit. It was inspired by the Shelby Cobra.

Pinto babySorry Bobcat by Mecury
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 454MAG; 07-05-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Thread Information