Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    erm you do realise that tracks represent only a fraction of possibel roads and conditions ?
    It's kind of hard to make Nardo as warm as Death Valley and as cold as Iceland !!!!
    you need to drive the prototypes on the road if you plan to make ANY changes that those conditions show up.
    The Jag XJ40s dorve around the world for about 6 months doing these kinds of tests.
    LONG before the latest "paparazzi" desire for these shots.
    There have been many cars spotted in locales that dont have conditions such as iceland and death valley, those are pretty severe places yet most of the time you see them they are in ordinary neighborhoods in places where the tempeture is in a normal range. Ant the fact that its a new jag makes desire for the shots. Thats why concept cars can be around for so long, hence new gtr. Nissan released those pics for a reason, and its been years but there was still a desire.

theres gonna be an AWD Ferrari SUV?...what?....scottie...tell me it aint so!
    pondering things

about 10-15 years ago Ferrari experimented with a four wheel drive train, and produced two prototypes. The set-up was on show in the Ferrari Museum when I visited that in October 2002.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

4 wheel drive, 800bhp and really wide tires......i cant imagine what the next generation enzo 0-60 will be
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    4 wheel drive, 800bhp and really wide tires......i cant imagine what the next generation enzo 0-60 will be
    2.1 seconds

yo, but deis a skyline dat can beat dat shit////yo
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    2.1 seconds

yo, but deis a skyline dat can beat dat shit////yo

have fun buying clutches
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Maybe Ferrari are going to try and dominate the WRC instead?

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    There have been many cars spotted in locales that dont have conditions such as iceland and death valley, those are pretty severe places yet most of the time you see them they are in ordinary neighborhoods in places where the tempeture is in a normal range.
    yep and jsut because I listed the EXTREMES was NOT intended to imply it was empty in between.
    The XJ40 was driven round Canada for almost the whoel 6 months !!
    Likewise if you're trying to get produciton prototype feedback from typical owners.
    Guess what, you have to GIVE typical owners cars long enough to highlight the issues.
    Designers need to see the telemetry of the suspension and chassis on normal roads too
    Now, I'm NOT saying that they don't do some of it for publicity too, I was only pointing out that it's not ALL for PR.
    Ant the fact that its a new jag makes desire for the shots. Thats why concept cars can be around for so long, hence new gtr. Nissan released those pics for a reason, and its been years but there was still a desire.
    yep, but doens't take away from the fact that you need to put mules and pre-productino cars out in "live" environments before you commit 100s of millions in tooling the final production !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm really glad to hear the Ferrari is gonna go AWD It's about damn time!! I can't wait to see the cars that will be using it!!!

The article doesn't say they are gonna make an SUV, why are so many worried about it??
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Maybe Ferrari are going to try and dominate the WRC instead?
    Inside Information!! Ferrari, dissapointed in getting the crap beat out of them in Formula One, is relocating all its resources into WRC... next years rally cars will also drive on slicks, and travel at 160mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Inside Information!! Ferrari, dissapointed in getting the crap beat out of them in Formula One, is relocating all its resources into WRC... next years rally cars will also drive on slicks, and travel at 160mph.
    soo....do i see a F430 WRC?.....nice large STi-like rear spoiler... unneeddedly large roof scoop, anyone?

ahahahahahahahahaha

or maybe a Ferrari sedan about the size of the Evo with an inline four....

ha
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    yep and jsut because I listed the EXTREMES was NOT intended to imply it was empty in between.
    The XJ40 was driven round Canada for almost the whoel 6 months !!
    Likewise if you're trying to get produciton prototype feedback from typical owners.
    Guess what, you have to GIVE typical owners cars long enough to highlight the issues.
    Designers need to see the telemetry of the suspension and chassis on normal roads too
    Now, I'm NOT saying that they don't do some of it for publicity too, I was only pointing out that it's not ALL for PR.

yep, but doens't take away from the fact that you need to put mules and pre-productino cars out in "live" environments before you commit 100s of millions in tooling the final production !!!
    Hey, i never said they did testing purely for one reason, but my point was is that they have no problem with completely hiding what they are working on, so i dont think they would hide an suv in the works by lieing in their press release. No reason to take that any farther.

Look, im sure you have a pretty good train of thought backing your opinion and i respect that, but my opinion just happens to differ. Here i will explain a couple reasons why i think that ferrari wont release a suv, i was going to do more, but this isnt a term paper.

Reasons why i dont think it is smart for Ferrari to release a suv.
    A. Can Ferrari make a suv with enough quality to be worth a high price tag?, or would Ferrari have to sell it at a comparable price to the other high end suvs? (cayanne) If ferrari sold a car at comparable price to another brand besides any other car make thought of in its class (lambo), that would lower the exclusitivity of the brand, therefore soiling the brand name and image that ferrari has built over years of business. A brand image is one of the hardest things to achieve, and therefore should be one of the first things a brand protects. And sure porsche may be high in your opinion, but it isnt really thought that way by the majority of people on this earth, let alone the market that ferrari aims for.

B.Fiat may be loosing money but is Ferrari? Last i have read Ferrari was doing really good financially, so would the owner company of ferrari try and fix its own financial woes by making ferrari build a suv? Most likely not, why? Well even consider that if ferrari did and it actually was successful what would that do for fiat? not much but only offset their losses, not fix them. and how is that smart? When a company finds that some of their products are loosing money and some of them are making money they do not mess with the successful ones to make up for the loosing ones. Nope, they try to find ways to make their lacking ones successful that way to have a completly well rounded successful company. So dont look to fiat to mess up the ferrari winning combination it is running currently, loot to it to make changes in other parts of its company.

so thats 2 reasons why i dont think ferrari will release a suv, i could be wrong however but thats just my opinion. All i wanted to say from the beginning is that there really is no reason to start worrying about an suv and people should just take the press release at face value.

Look, im sure you have a pretty good train of thought backing your opinion and i respect that, but my opinion just happens to differ.
    but this is america! and in america that is unacceptable. completely, utterly unacceptable!
    pondering things

Reasons why i dont think it is smart for Ferrari to release a suv.
    A. Can Ferrari make a suv with enough quality to be worth a high price tag?, or would Ferrari have to sell it at a comparable price to the other high end suvs? (cayanne) If ferrari sold a car at comparable price to another brand besides any other car make thought of in its class (lambo), that would lower the exclusitivity of the brand, therefore soiling the brand name and image that ferrari has built over years of business. A brand image is one of the hardest things to achieve, and therefore should be one of the first things a brand protects. And sure porsche may be high in your opinion, but it isnt really thought that way by the majority of people on this earth, let alone the market that ferrari aims for.

so thats 2 reasons why i dont think ferrari will release a suv, i could be wrong however but thats just my opinion. All i wanted to say from the beginning is that there really is no reason to start worrying about an suv and people should just take the press release at face value.
    I dont think so. If ferrari can make a high-volume SUV, it can be priced according to ferrari standards.
    And about the brand image, i think it will only aid in ferrari's suv. One reason why the 612 sells is because it is a ferrari. If it were sold as a Maser ,Bentley or Lancia it would'nt have been selling as it currently is.

But really, i don't think so that building a AWD platform is about making SUVs (Lambo Murcielago, Audi RS4)

Go back 10 years.
    Replace Ferrari with Porsche.
    See it was an unbelievable premise back then.
    SO, the idea that it mihgt happen in th future is there too.
    Car makers HAVE to make profit and if the flotation of Ferrari succeeds it will lose the bankrolling of FIAT that kept it afloat for the last 30 years !!
    The bean-counter at Porsche who justified the Cayenne may move jobs to Ferrari

PS: Learn "humour". Nobody is SERIOUSLY saying it WILL happen. But to try to say it will NEVER happen ignores history !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information