8 50.00%
  • Williams

5 31.25%
  • Ferrari

1 6.25%
  • Other???

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future for Williams, Button etc....

The Future for Williams, Button etc....

There have been rumours flying round the internet for weeks from so called insiders, which have now found their way to The Guardian Newspaper, that Williams have signed a deal for 2006 with Cosworth. The rumours are that it is just a 1 year deal, used as a stop-gap until getting a longer term deal with Toyota from 2007. I personally think it is the best thing for Williams in their present predicament. Things had turned horribly sour with BMW, Toyota have already stated that it's too late in the day to put together a deal, and there are the obvious wranglings with Honda which would stand in the way of a potential deal. Cosworth have been developing their V8 for some months now and it looks like Williams will be the only team using the engine for 2006, so Williams should get undivided attention from the engine developers. And this season so far Cosworth have performed remarkably well (decent power and outstanding reliability) considering all the turmoil that has been going on behind the scenes, so they're clearly on form at the moment.

So if that's all sorted now, the only thing that remains to be sorted at Williams is who's gonna be driving the darned thing! Buttongate 2005 is in full swing at the moment with new rumours surrounding his future coming out seemingly every day. SFW seems determined he'll be with them for 2006, Nick Fry of BAR seems desperate to do anything in his power to keep him. Fry's even gone so far as to say that forcing JB to honour a contract at Williams would be a breach of his human rights (*cough* hypocrisy *cough*). Then of course there was the link with Ferrari ( ), the rumour that BAR would offer Williams Honda engines in exchange for Button's services, and yesterday the big rumour was that BAR would give Williams Anthony Davidson in exchange for Button (even paying Davidson's wages for 2 years, essentially giving Williams a free driver). All these rumours seem to have been scotched fairly quickly by the relevant parties, so we're still none the wiser. It'll probably all come down to meetings between Button (and his lawyers no doubt) and Sir Frank Williams. If it is true that Button is now keen to stay at BAR then I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting!

Button also seems to be the key to where a LOT of other drivers will be going. If Button goes to Williams then Heidfeld will almost certainly go to the new BMW squad, but if not he might be tempted to stay. There have been rumours that Barrichello could fill the void left at BAR if Button jumps ship leaving a space at Ferrari, with Felipe Massa the favourite to be Schumi's new lapdog. If Massa leaves Sauber/BMW then that could mean a lifeline for Jacques Villeneuve with a place alongside Heidfeld. GOD this is confusing!!!

So what do you guys reckon, where will Button end up next season???
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    So what do you guys reckon, where will Button end up next season???
    If he's not smart enough to keep his agent ( and his own mouth ) under control this time he'll be lucky if he's driving a milk cart
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    If he's not smart enough to keep his agent ( and his own mouth ) under control this time he'll be lucky if he's driving a milk cart
    Apparently he ditched his manager/agent from last year, the one who engineered Buttongate 2004, so maybe his new manager will have a bit more sense!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

For a man looking to become world champion, i seriously doubt he would opt to become schumi's backup. Staying with BAR unless they pick up pace again i doubt he would be able to reach winning form with the team until 2007. Williams are a championship winning team, who have reached the end of their troubled partnership with BMW. With a new engine supplier being cosworth, Williams can work soley on their own plans without having the team split in 2 when it was always williams and bmw doing everything between them. That i think will work much better and they can concentrate on getting button and webber winning races.

well he says he wasnts to stay at BAR because it gives him best chance of being champion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4713073.stm

and it's costing Williams $11.5M for the Cosworth engine - OUCH ! .... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4722519.stm
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

This will be a toughy, for a while no one really even knew if Williams had a solid 2006 contract or if it was simply an option
    I am the Stig

Williams don't need button they need a donk and car
    The new Williams car has been disapointing it's speed is bad, Also as good as BMW is williams has got the second slowest car on the grid. They need some speed no wonder they go crap at the start's they got no power. they got problems right now and button might not want to go to williams at this time.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Nah, Williams isn't quite the second slowest car on the grid. That honourable title undoubtedly goes to Jordan. But Williams sure are trying their best to overthrow them!

I'm fairly sure he'll stay at BAR for at least one more season...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    Nah, Williams isn't quite the second slowest car on the grid. That honourable title undoubtedly goes to Jordan. But Williams sure are trying their best to overthrow them!
    You might have mist the coments from niel crompton sunday night, He spoke to Mark and he told him they were 25kp/h off the top guys and second last in speed For a top team that is bad. But i don't know if Cosworth can help them bridge the speed gap?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    You might have mist the coments from niel crompton sunday night, He spoke to Mark and he told him they were 25kp/h off the top guys and second last in speed For a top team that is bad. But i don't know if Cosworth can help them bridge the speed gap?
    If that figure is true then it's absolutley astonishing! How BMW, with all their resources, can be so far behind in power terms is beyond me.

If Cosworth can carry over their form from this season then power won't be too much of a problem. Their V10 has been able to hold it's own at most tracks this season. In fact I remember at the Barcelona GP this year the MINARDIS were frequently the fastest cars throught the speed trap at the bottom of the main straight!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Speed on the main straight doesn't mean much with an F1 car...it's more to do with aero setup. The Minardi obviously can't generate enough downforce to be among the fastest of cars.

As far as Williams and Button, no driver can save Williams...they obviously have inherent stumbling blocks which have kept them from being champions lately and I don't think they'll ever be again. And Button is overrated IMO... not really champion material either.

I think JB will be made to honour his contract and for Williams. Kind of a reverse of last year. Unless Frank wants to be ruthless and see how much Honda are willing to fork out for Jenson's services - thus getting Honda to fund Williams' Cosworth engine deal.
    Not UCP's only Crystal Palace fan!!

RIP Richard Burns.

Speed is important when you don't have it
    Both williams wen't back fast and both are down on the speed traps bad.
    Here are some speed traps from friday practice and Qualifying. They had a good Qualifying lap but second pic is Qualifying speed trap.
    Really they got problems if they are that far off the front runners in speed always.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Speed is important when you don't have it
    Both williams wen't back fast and both are down on the speed traps bad.
    Here are some speed traps from friday practice and Qualifying. They had a good Qualifying lap but second pic is Qualifying speed trap.
    Really they got problems if they are that far off the front runners in speed always.
    Depends on the track though. At Monaco, the slowest track of the season, Williams performed brilliantly. The Hungaroring is the second slowest track so maybe they'll be slightly further up the grid this weekend than in recent weeks. Provided they've finally made some sense of their new aero package that is!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information