Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carsguide Aussie Motoring Survey: The Results

25kph is a joke honestly.

130 on the highway... HELL YES PLEASE GOD YES! 110kph is ridiculously slow on the runway/freeway between sydney/canberra/melbourne. you could sit on 140kph easily (i know, ive done it)

flashing school zones, would be nice if youre in an unfamilar area but you should know where they are around where you live anyway.

who has $35k to spend on a car? i dont!

Drug tests arent accurate enough and should be pulled. lowering the BAC. its fine at .05

People who have a problem with my music level can turn theres up. Screw them.

untill theres a turbo hybrid with the same performance as my 200 im not going near one.

petrol is about $0.45 in government tax. enough said.

speed cameras are a joke, they dont make you slow down because you know where all the fixed ones are and the mobile ones have their spots so you treat them like fixed camera areas. Again screw them!

Please take people who are over 75's license away. ive been run off the road by an old person changing lanes and not indicating.

The dattos 26 and going strong and ill ensure it sees 30 and beyond.

/rant
    The Datto will rage again...

it would be interesting to see if the national highways at least ever get an allowed increase in speed, and keep motorways at 110km/h....that'd allow the Hume and Pacific Highway just to name a few to make those interstate journeys alot easier
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Drug tests arent accurate enough and should be pulled. lowering the BAC. its fine at .05
    Totally agree for pot, those tests are demonstrably innacurate as THC lurks in you for ages, long after the effect goes

Why won't the wowsers & cops target all those so-called 'normal' druggos who drive while they are doped up to the eyeballs on legal prescription mindbenders? I bet there are more motorists affected & afflicted by these, than are affected by illegal drugs. I was almost run over recently by this elderly fart who was completely/utterly zoned out on prozac, 100% overdose and when I admonished him he could barely think let alone responsibly drive a motorcar
    Last edited by nota; 08-07-2005 at 07:28 AM.

If the old VB can sit on 140kp/h then 110kp/h would be easy
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Totally agree for pot, those tests are demonstrably innacurate as THC lurks in you for ages, long after the effect goes

Why won't the wowsers & cops target all those so-called 'normal' druggos who drive while they are doped up to the eyeballs on legal prescription mindbenders? I bet there are more motorists affected & afflicted by these, than are affected by illegal drugs. I was almost run over recently by this elderly fart who was completely/utterly zoned out on prozac, 100% overdose and when I admonished him he could barely think let alone responsibly drive a motorcar
    You have to wonder if theres some reading or some level they could get for the past 12-24hrs etc. Might takeanother 10 years of medical development first...
    I am the Stig

SlickHolden:

On your earlier comment re safety budgets: Yes, true $for$ the Europeans can spend more, but thats a relative thing - safety isnt a relative thing.

If I ram a $30K BA Falcon into a tree and die, it's all very well saying that $for$ it's safety was pretty good when in a $60K 3 Series I might have survived. Therefore I don't think the public's "perception" is unwarranted in believing European cars are still safer, because, measured absolutely, they are...

Re speed limits, definitely, the road to Geelong is pool table smooth now and is reasonably properly divided so it should at least be 110-120. My car maxes out at 83mph, so I'm not entirely concerned!

A $30K Falcon would stand a better chance than a $60K 3 series though, as the larger frontal mass can absorb alot more energy than the 3 series. A $90K 5 series on the other hand though, comparing similar mass and size...then you'd be getting somewhere

But you'd be still hitting a tree of all things
    I am the Stig

Not necessarily. The car's safety cell would play a major part in it, not to mention little things such as the way the pedals and dash collapse, and how quickly the airbags are deployed. Not saying that a BA Ford is an unsafe car (far from it) but there are a lot more variables than frontal mass.

But also on the other hand these cars hit polls over seas that are made to absorb the impack of the car. Here they are not.
    But if a $60,000 car can't save my life over a $30,000 car then the $60,000 car isnt getting it right. And when they do all the testing for Crashes here the Holden and Ford are always right up there near the top in accident testing
    2003 VY Holden Crash test score
    2002 BA Ford Falcon crash test score
    2004 MERCEDES BENZ E-CLASS
    And the merc had side airbags which gave it 2 more points. Not bad for some base model ford and holden i would say

Yeah I wasn't saying that Commos and Falcons are unsafe - they are up there with the best of them. I was just stating that there's more to crash safety than frontal mass.

All that said, when you sit in a 60K BMW or Merc or whatever, you just know it's a safe car - it just feels so solid around you. Its hard to explain. Even my 11 year old E36 BMW gives me more confidence than a lot of brand new cars.

Gonzo:

Right with you - our 2001 BMW 320ci (E46) feels so solid, and the handling and active safety would certainly better, well.. lets say a monaro for example's sake.

But that's a 4yr old car with 80K kms on the clock - quite frankly sitting in some of my mate's VTs and VXs, they just seem to deteriorate very quickly and although i havent driven a big dunnydoor recently as a passenger they feel very.. dunno.. flimsy. I'm not being biased because as people have said, Aus turns out some very good cars and Im as proud as the next australian of our industry, but back to perception and that certainly is the case.

ALso Gonzo re ur comment about the E36 - I had a 2002 for a year or so and even then in a 1968 car it felt fantastically well built - especially compared to say BMC/Holden/Ford products of the same era.

PS, the 320ci can do more than 83mph, it's my Mini 1100 that cant

Maybe as example we could use the VZ Calais. With all it's new saftey gear.

The Calais isnt the one making up near 90% of the Commodores monthly sales though, that'd be like trying to take a GTS and saying a Commy is faster than a 5 series
    I am the Stig

But sales are good I see 3-4 everytime on on the roads now.

the 200 gets 3 stars! YAY i drive an average car!

funnily enough the datsun isnt there
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information