Thread: Cam marking help

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?

Cam marking help

OK. My brother and I are working on his 93 Camry, and he blew a headgasket, and we are fixing it ourselves. We have to take the cams off to access the head bolts, and I really don't want to screw up marking the cam for when it goes back together. Neither of us have done this on a OHC engine, and I watched that Tuner challenge show on Speed a few days ago and it said if you don't mark the cams perfectly, you might as well buy a new engine. If any of you have done this, I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

i would think you would make sure that wich ever cylinder is first in the firing order is at tdc and then mark the position of the cam and the block with a line, then realign it when you put it back in, making sure that the ist cylinder is again at tdc....maybe im talking out my ass.... best wait for matra or one of them
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

yes, make sure you first put it on TDC(top dead center), then put marks on the cam sprokets and the belt.(believe me, you do not want to put it in the wrong way cause bent valves would make you replace the head, hope that engine isn't an interference engine, i really don't know and my brother is asleep so i can't ask him(he works for toyota))
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

There should be alignment marks on the cam and crankshaft pulleys anyway, usually a centre-punched mark near a tooth. There should also be something on the block to align them too. Workshop manual should mention it.
    If there isnt, then mark the crank and cam pulleys with some Tip-Ex (correction fluid) and make another mark on a handy part of the block. Make sure theyre free of any oil first, if its belt drive Id be worried if they were That was our usual plan of attack when working with chain drive cams. Tbh I would be very surprised if there wasnt any alignment marks already, just have a good look for them. Better yet, take a couple of photos before you take the belt off

make sure that the manufacturer of the cam you are fitting confirms that it is profiled to the same cam aligment keys as the original. Some do, some dont.

IF they do then the markgin of the cam drive gears and ensuring they go back in the same place will work fine - just do NOT turn the engine.

It is NOT the end of the world if the cam isn't profiled the same as original or you turn the engine. BECAUES it's realtively easy to "statically" time an engine.

all the diretions so far are spot on.

Once you assenble the cams align all the marks and refit the belt/chains then slowly turn the engine by hand - NOT on the starter - and ensure their is no binding or valve meeting piston. That way you avoid the horror of smashing them when cranking it on the starter

best advice is to go out and buy a Haynes manual ( or equivalent ) and follow the steps in it. It's a dead easy job, nothing complicated but has a number of steps to be done in the right order. That "tuner" show is talking cr@p, if that's the level of their knowledge I'd stop watching it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I know this might be a dumb question, but how do I know when the #1 cylinder is at TDC?

2 ways --
    1) there is usually a mark on the flywheel and a visual inspection hole on the clutch cover. That's the easiest.
    2) Take the plug out of cylinder number one and put a thin metal rod down the plug hole and turn the engine over by hand - NOT on the starter. Watch the rod go up and down. At it's highest, you're at TDC. But you still need to watch how you align the casm as it's usually TDC on the compresion stroke that's wanted. This is the least accurate ( because of the angles and how the rod meets the piston )

Strongly advise you spend the $5 to get a Haynes manual. You are likely to get yourself in trouble without a guide for these basic things. IF/when it gets problematic it becomesvery hard to diagnose via the internet

Better still, have you any mates who are mechanics ? A few beers would get him to help you and you can then learn safely
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I checked out a Chilton's Manual at our public library. I really wish I had access to Alldata right now, but I guess I will have to wait till school starts. Thanks alot all you guys, I think I found out what I needed to know.
    Last edited by Smokescreen; 08-06-2005 at 08:29 PM.

use the detorquing sequence cause u dont want the cam 2 bend, but im sure you did that, changing cams is easy. Its all i did in autos. Yeah, align the marks that you find by the belt on the lil gear thngy.

Thread Information