Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My viper vs SC Corvette C5 in a street race.

My viper vs SC Corvette C5 in a street race.

While my buddy Mike and I where driving around this evening we ran into a Super Charged Corvette C5. The car was yellow and obviously had a lot of work done to it. (Super charged, full exhaust, etc.) It was a really clean car and the sound that came out of the exhaust was truly amazing.

I am not usually one to street race (especially when I think I am going to lose LOL) but we both pulled off into a near deserted street. Where we both felt it was safe to race and I said what the hell.

First Race:

We go from a roll from first around 20mph. I get a 1/2 car length on him at the start (he spun a lot)......................I shift into second then I slowly start to pull on him! At the end of the race I am about a car length ahead. We then both shut it down. To be honest I thought he missed a gear or something so I didn't think much of it. As I was expecting to get killed.

Second Race:

We go from a stop (3 honks) I immediately pull a 1/2 car on him as he spins the wheels. Second gear comes and I am slowly pulling on him where he is between a car to a car and a half behind! Third gear comes and I don't pull much more on him. We both shut it down.

I am not sure how but I won both races. In fact before I raced him I was thinking how I was going to write "how I got killed" here instead. Hell I still am a little perplexed.

Out of curiosity I ask him to stop at the gas station down the street in which he does. His name was Jeff and I start to ask him about his car. He tells me he has a procharger, full exhaust, etc. I say wow what do you put down? He replied 480 RWHP.

Again I am not really sure how I pulled on him (after his wheels hooked up) but it was a nice surprise. And probably my favorite street race.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

What does your viper make on the dyno?

412rwhp and 472rwt
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

that is really surprising, maybe you have shorter gear ratios?

it may be possibe:
    a)you have better skills

b)the viper offers tons and tons of grip
    'vette can't match its traction

c)you have the SRT-10.
    Sure of course he also has tremendous horsepower but yours was FAR more usable.

But in reality i'm happy.....'vettes you know are highly overrated.....vipers are often underrated.
    Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    that is really surprising, maybe you have shorter gear ratios?
    No probably the other way around.

I don't think he was the best driver out there. And I think it helped I have Kumho V700 tires. Still I am not sure how he didn't start pulling on me in second or third gear. I hit the top of third (115 mph) and he was still a car and a half or so behind me.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

Just out of curosity how many miles does your viper have on it? How much horse is that at the crank and what mods do u have. Sweet win.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Just out of curosity how many miles does your viper have on it? How much horse is that at the crank and what mods do u have. Sweet win.
    1993 Dodge Viper Red 412.48 RWHP, 472.09 RWT
    no cats, High Flow muffler, MGW shifter, K&N air filters, smooth tubes, and sticky Kumho tires.

At the Crank that should be around 472HP and 545 RWT

32,000 Miles
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

i think you can thank your tires for your victory...congratulations
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Nice Kill ! Do us a favor and take that viper to the drag strip and tell us what it does in the 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by early93viper
    near deserted street. Where we both felt it was safe to race and I said what the hell.
    Stopped reading at this point.

Sorry, but street racing is STUPID AND DANGEROUS. Take it to a track.

Whether you felt it safe or not is irrelevant. It wasn't.

Street racing is for wooses scared to take it to a track and be shown up !!

(IMHO)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Really because I think everyone seemed to end up okay in this one. Why is it dangerous to race in a place with no one except you and the other car? The only people who are in danger are you and the other driver. Obviously you know your own health and safety are at risk and the other driver knows his are also at risk. If these factors have been considered and are accepted who are you to tell them what they may and may not do with their own lives? Despite the fact it may be dangerous you cannot call it stupid.

First, V, there is the risk of someone arriving while you are engrossed in the "fun".
    They could arrive by car, on foot or bicycle ( I know the latter two are VERY unlikely in the USA )
    Secondly, you may not have seen them.
    Thirdly you described the scene as "near deserted street", "waited till it was safe".
    HOW did you know it was 'safe' ?
    Did you have spotters at each junction on the road, stopped traffic at either end of the road, had checkers that nobody could come on to the sceen mid "race" ?

You can't do all of that without a LOT of organisation !
    Hence why it's only safe at a track - where everyeon has understood and signed the waivers.
    Also, I'm well known for my views. "street racers" seldom have the balls to take it to tracks becase on a TRACK the skill is publicly on display and up for criticism and competition. I've seen many wannabees in "fast" cars blown off by 16 year olds in Ford Fiesta and Clio Cup cars necause teh 16 y/o knew how to drive ( as in drive fast )

re the "everyone all right" consider this .... are you willing to have a nuclear power plant in your back garden ? After all everyone at Three Mile Island was OK. Shame about Chernobyl, huh "Luck" can be a bitch sometimes
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-10-2005 at 12:49 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    First, V, there is the risk of someone arriving while you are engrossed in the "fun".
    They could arrive by car, on foot or bicycle ( I know the latter two are VERY unlikely in the USA )
    Secondly, you may not have seen them.
    Thirdly you described the scene as "near deserted street", "waited till it was safe".
    HOW did you know it was 'safe' ?
    Did you have spotters at each junction on the road, stopped traffic at either end of the road, had checkers that nobody could come on to the sceen mid "race" ?

You can't do all of that without a LOT of organisation !
    Hence why it's only safe at a track - where everyeon has understood and signed the waivers.
    Also, I'm well known for my views. "street racers" seldom have the balls to take it to tracks becase on a TRACK the skill is publicly on display and up for criticism and competition. I've seen many wannabees in "fast" cars blown off by 16 year olds in Ford Fiesta and Clio Cup cars necause teh 16 y/o knew how to drive ( as in drive fast )

re the "everyone all right" consider this .... are you willing to have a nuclear power plant in your back garden ? After all everyone at Three Mile Island was OK. Shame about Chernobyl, huh "Luck" can be a bitch sometimes
    I think that comparing street racing to a nuclear power plant in your back garden is a little much.

Granted it wasn't the safeist thing I have ever done. But for a street race it was done at the safest place and way possible. Period.

As for racing on a track I have taken my car to HPTs roadcourse twice, Autocrossed it 5 times, and took it to the drags (best time of 12.5@113 so far)
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

ive got a nuclear power plant in my back yard pretty much (byron IL nuclear power plant, its like a town over but my town is in the red zone if anything ever happened) so looks like i should street race it up! WOOO
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information