Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Five Engines of All Time

Top Five Engines of All Time

What are, in your opinion, the top 5 engines ever produced and one-offs count. F1 engines, production engines, concept engines (so long as one was built), Strickley racecar engines, anything. What are in your opinion the top 5 preferable with reasons why.

1. 1969-1970 Ford Boss 429 OHV V8 This engine was built to battle the dominant Chrysler Hemi engine on the NASCAR circuit. Its got Wedge style heads making it a "semi-hemi" so it reacts to high boost like a hemi with just as little problem. With a stock block and heads you can bore and stroke it to over 800 cubic inches, the biggest I've heard of was 830ci. The stock intake ports could almost swallow a tennis ball. All this and the factory expected people to believe it had only 375hp.

2. 2005 Bugatti 8 Liter DOHC W16 What a marvel of engineering. 16 cylinders compacted into two very thin V8 banks on either side along with aluminum and magnesium wherever possible makes the engine as light as a cast iron V8. It makes 1001 hp and 1250 nm. It has an F1 derived oil system with high power oil pump on block. It has 4 small turbochargers that give the engine enough boost to eliminate the lag a turbo has giving the engine strong torque during acceleration.

3. The Offenhauser DOHC 4v 4cylinder This engine dominated indy racing for nearly 30 years. The engine was able to make more power than the competitors and rev higher. 15:1 compression, and 420 hp with little tuning made this one of the greatest racing engines in history.

4. The Hemi in all forms Think of it, what engine drove the most powerful musclecars of the 60's and 70's? What engine is used most in every drag racing class? What is the most famous engine to car guys and others? What are the most powerful piston engines in the world? The domed combustion chambers and piston just ate up as much boost as you could shove into it easily making more power than a normal engine would, combined with the EXTREMELY STOUT early chrysler hemis they could handle much more punishment and last half again as long with 2 times as much abuse. Its a Hemi. Nuff said.

5. Chryslers 1964 Turbine engine Able to run on anything that burns, made 425 hp at idle, and whined like nothing else. It was compact and lightweight. It could be moved back further to the middle of the car to better handling and the only bad thing about it was the exhaust temperature was 1200 degrees! Instantly killing the grass beneath the pipes and often singing the hairs on the legs of anyone who got to close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

what about the mazda RX rotory that won LeMan?

The rotory engine was outlawed before it was race actually. Hell i think the 302 is a hell of an engine. I think the 429 boss you are absoutlely correct it was said to be the fastest engine back in the day and could beat a hemi anyday. Ive seem it beat a hemi challanger in a drag both stock cars.

Small. Block. Chevy.

Also the 343 hp 3.2l BMW m3 engine and the 250hp S2000 engine.

the engine from the Honda S2000

the engine from the Fiat 2300SCoupe.6-cilinder inline. it produced about 150hp from 2,1 liters.This was quite a lot back thn.

What about the Mclaren F1 BMW V12, The porsche 911 6-cilinder boxer, the duesenberg Supercharger V8 400 bhp in the 30'ies these are all legends and can't be ignored

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    The rotory engine was outlawed before it was race actually.
    Mazda WON Le Mans in 1991 with the rotary.
    They also have the highest reliability of any regular manufacturer at 66% finishes !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Dont' have time to collate and list all FIVE at the same time.

here's one of my candidates ( though to be fair any modern F1 I love the engineering on ) BUT this is a cool video, the intake turbulence is beautiful
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

was that running without rocker covers?

And i gotta go with spastik there, wheres the 350? the small block in its various capcities powered chev's for years and is still one of the most popular drag racing engines
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    was that running without rocker covers?
    no, only the airbox was missing.
    That's the inlet and injectors you see 'working hard'
    I still can't find a higher res version of that, I'd love to get a better version
    320 is the best I can find on any of the renualt and renualtSport sites the full vid is at http://wmediavod.coltfrance.com/wmeu..._0_320x240.wmv I just topped and tailed the specs etc to fit here.

so the mist was the fuel? thats nuts! i loved that video, the flame were incredible, most runoff flames i've seen are yellow and billowy, but that looked like a massive propane torch
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Ford/Cossie DFV
    I am the Stig

The new BMW V10

1) BMW S70/2, best BMW engine produced, 10 year old, the brandnew M3 is practically that engine choped in half. a bench mark for not only BMW engines, but proboblly all V12

2) Ford Hi 289, stuck in most early mustangs, and the GT40 won leman 4 times, its old, but proboblly the best engine ford made. economical and great power.

3) Porsche Flat-6, need i say more? proboblly the one of most efficiant performance engine.

4) Ferrari 355, 360 5 vale engine. best ferrari engine, small, compact, high reving full of punch. at high rev, its magical, sounds better than some of the V12

5) Honda S2000, after driving one (once only), proboblly the best japanese engine, great to drive around town, nice, smooth and quite. when reved, it fully reflect honda's f1 involvment. who would think tha a NA 4 cylinda can punch out this much power.
    '67 Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
    '06 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by KELSA
    2) Ford Hi 289, stuck in most early mustangs, and the GT40 won leman 4 times, its old, but proboblly the best engine ford made. economical and great power.
    Were all 4 with the 289? Out of the 4 versions Ford made, only 2 had the engine but i havent heard how that reflected on LeMans
    I am the Stig

Thread Information