Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Top Five Engines of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    beat me to it
    The Climax turned the racing world on it's head and pioneered the switch from bigger and more powerful that racing had been on to more efficient.
    IN sports cars it was a beaut.
    Mate like you I'm a real fan of the firepump that wins races. Also of the 'budget-Climax' IMP - if you owned a good one, like I was lucky to

As Eggnogg says, Climax power/weight has only now been eclipsed by LS2 .. albeit 40 years later. One can only wonder the result if those ancient Climax were equally equipped with current electronics systems (EFI & ignition) instead of limited by its primitive carbies & mags/points

Even so, I'd be surprised if mid-20th Century Climax' power/weight is inferior to 21st Century 390lb/320hp LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Supra
    2JZGZE
    Where did you get a supercharged one?

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Mate like you I'm a real fan of the firepump that wins races. Also of the 'budget-Climax' IMP - if you owned a good one, like I was lucky to
    What engine and tuning ?
    Our rally Imp ran a 998, R22 cam and Cosworth internals.
    'fast'
    For soem to get an idea, THIS is the full engien AND transisssion

Lynton developed a 150hp (IIRC) twin cam version, but it never went into serious production. Still only one litre as well !!!!

Even so, I'd be surprised if mid-20th Century Climax' power/weight is inferior to 21st Century 390lb/320hp LS1
    The bike engine develoeprs surpassed the CLimax decades ago and continue to lead the world in power output from small engines. MotoGP is reducing engine size as it was becoming clear that peak power of 300hp was coming from the 1 litre engines
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My IMP GT was not in the same league alas Unknown if internally modded although precision built by expert with hot cam, twin 40mm Dellortos, a really neat set of kustom split Tri-Y extractors (two tiny 'hotdogs' & twin exhaust, very burbly ) boosted ignition (breakerless) and Cooper S oil cooler is all I can remember. Decamber kit, Konis and wide steel wheels. Used zero oil or coolant in the time I had it, never overheated - even in the desert, where fuel economy climaxed @ 62mpg hwy Still to this day about the most engaging & effortlessly rev-happy engine I've had the pleasure of pedalling

The bike engine develoeprs surpassed the CLimax decades ago and continue to lead the world in power output from small engines. MotoGP is reducing engine size as it was becoming clear that peak power of 300hp was coming from the 1 litre engines
    That's amazing! Also those micro engines, not at all sure but possibly recall a reported figure of 3cc & 0.8hp?

For 1960s automotive production engines power/weight, I thought old Honda S600 & S800 ('S4' family) might perhaps be another candidate apart from Climax, looked but alas couldn't find unit-weight
    Last edited by nota; 08-20-2005 at 06:36 AM.

oh em jee...like....ware is da rb26deTT??!?

itz tha bestest moter ever!!?/1??!!
    pondering things

I really love those RR Merlin engines. Howl like crazy - awesome sound !!

Thread Information