Thread: Completely Instantaneous Gear Change

Completely Instantaneous Gear Change

Zeroshift has developed a new transmission system that changes gear without the usual acceleration hesitation that comes with conventional transmissions.

Even the DSG is inferior to this new trans.

http://www.zeroshift.com/products/ge...ce.htm#cerbera

The last diagram is the one with Zeroshift. Note that it is fitted on a 4L Cerbera
    with gobs of torque.

Designers claim that it is cheaper than an SMG and pretty close to a conventional manual pricewise.

I'd like to see how the final product develops. Let's see it in F1!!!

id love to have the cerbera if it had that kind of changes, the 4.5l would have an even more insane acceleration time that would obliterate any other 4 seater ha ha ha ha ha

oooo
    just came to mind why not have the speed 12 with that gear change. he he ehe he he
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

I'd like to see how it works

This gearbox is like a CVT but without the friction involved. It's the best of both worlds.

The fact that intrigues me more is the cost factor. All truly innovative ideas increase performance and at the same time decrease costs.

If it turns out to be as good as it is claimed to be, I guess that it will be the choice for sports-oriented models as well as luxury ones. The sportscars will use this tech for improved acceleration, while luxury barges will concentrate on the refinement (lack of gear changes and bodumovement that goes along with them)

I guess that entry level models will still use conventional manuals. They will still have a cost advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    I'd like to see how it works
    The idea behind it is simple.

It still has 2 clutches like the DSG. It works like this:

1. You have 3rd gear engaged
    2. You select 4th gear
    3. 3rd gear is disengaged gradually. At the same time 4th gear is engaged gradually. Both clutches slip. So we have a situation where torque is transmitted to the wheels from both gears.
    At t=0 sec the 3rd gear gives 100% torque and the 4th gear 0%
    At t=0.1 sec the 3rd gear gives 50% torque and the 4th gear 50%
    At t=0.2 sec the 3rd gear gives 100% torque and the 4th gear 0%

So the truth is that the actual shift lasts for a given time, but the driver doesn't feel it and the torque delivered to the wheels (thus acceleration) is not interrupted.

Numbers are not actual. They serve as an example.

This was first reported ages ago on TVR forums etc. The big selling point was that the technology could be implemented on existing standard manual 'boxes like the T5 in the TVR. Slightly worrying that nothing really seems to have come of it after first being hyped up a long time ago.

Edited to say repost See it was originally posted Feb 2004.
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 09-10-2005 at 09:20 AM.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

oops. I tought it was a new thing. I red it on a tech magazine and thought it was a brand new thing.

Anyway, closing a deal with an automotive manufacturer isn't the easiest thing. Parts suppliers like Visteon etc won't like the idea that someone else is "taking" their sales.

Cool little animation of how it works
    It basically a system to replace the standard manual gearbox synchros, which is why they reckon most cars could be converted cheaply. That makes it more attractive then DSG as it gives the same benefit (low shift time, constant torque) but using the existing casing, shafts bearings, gears etc. Plus its a fully mechanical system, no ECU's involved.
    In fact it is quicker than DSG when shifting, as it is an instantaneous shift, whereas with DSG it takes a few milliseconds to swap the clutches. Don't think it would be that noticeable in practise though
    One thing I don't like is it looks like you'll get a shock load when the next gear engages the shift 'bullet' (as they call it). The relative speeds may not be that high but it certainly going to have implications for fatigue. Maybe its little problems like that which are putting the big names off? The idea has been around for a few years now and I don't know of any products incorporating it, yet.

like BjD i'm suspicious of the materials those little bullets woudl be made of and their wear rates. But looks good.

PS: TECHICALLY nothing like CVT which is truly continuously variable and has NO gear teeth involved. Engine still alters revs to a set of fixed gear ratios so not as engine efficient. BUT with current 'belt' technology a much better gearbox efficiency solution.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

so.....when will we see this in the Sentra?
    pondering things

That's pretty good, especially if it's not anymore expensive than a manual
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information