Thread: World's Fastest Blind Driver

World's Fastest Blind Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    A South African became the world's fastest blind driver Thursday after driving across a remote airstrip at 269 kph (167 mph).

Blind since birth, 33-year-old Hein Wagner of Cape Town had a sighted navigator for his record attempt. After crossing the airfield, he told reporters he wanted to do it again but was considering piloting an aircraft for his next record attempt.

"I'm very happy," said Wagner, whose drive in a borrowed Maserati V8 GranSport was monitored by motoring organization Motorsport SA and filmed for the Guinness Book of World Records.

The drive, on an airstrip near South Africa's border with Botswana, was aimed at increasing public awareness of problems facing blind people and raising money for a national charity for the blind.

The previous record, set by a blind British bank manager, was 233 kph (145 mph).

"I drove it with no insurance. No one wanted to give any to us," Wagner told national news agency SAPA.
    It must be an amazing feeling to do this. Just imagine doin 167mph with your eyes closed...that would be one hell of an experience!
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by lithuanianmafia
    It must be an amazing feeling to do this.
    I saw this report on CNN today. Kudos to the guy!! I wonder how he kept the car from swerving?

Quote Originally Posted by lithuanianmafia
    Just imagine doin 167mph with your eyes closed...that would be one hell of an experience!
    Yeah, right before you hit that tree crossing the road.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

i remember that one guy who did this a while ago, they had some sort of device that when he started drifting to one side it would beep in the ear on the other side so that he knew which way he would have to move the wheel to steer himself

that must be a thrilling experience...

Anyone see the segment on topgear with the blind driver.. with Clarkson (i think) giving him directions - RIGHT RIGHT, STRAIGHT, LEFT LEFT!!!
    I think Clarkson got more of a rush than the driver

that is quite freaky. i dont even know if i could give directions as i would be way way to scared.

Bily Baxter did 164mph ON A MOTORBIKE - Kawasaki ZX12 - last year.

Now THAT is a "rush" !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hehe, sounds amazing, but honestly I don't know how much of a rush it'd be for the blind guy because the acceleration at high speed is minimal, so he wouldn't feel all that much. Of course, it'd be scary as hell for anyone else watching him do it

"I'm very happy," said Wagner, whose drive in a borrowed Maserati V8 GranSport was monitored by motoring organization Motorsport SA and filmed for the Guinness Book of World Records.
    Wow, proof that just because you can't see doesn't mean you can't have great taste in cars!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Yeah, right before you hit that tree crossing the road.
    I was unaware of the fact that trees had the ability to walk
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

Thread Information