Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Handling car

Let's see...
    It has to be very light-weight....kinda small (better agility) and nice weight distribution...

Mx-5, S2000, Elise, MR2....
    I think I agree with cargirl1990

Elise. Definitely. (or Exige )

Quote Originally Posted by Nago View Post
    Let's see...
    It has to be very light-weight....kinda small (better agility) and nice weight distribution...

Mx-5, S2000, Elise, MR2....
    I think I agree with cargirl1990

Elise. Definitely. (or Exige )
    permaban
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

good suggestions. however, my experience over decades of driving is that it's too easy to say: "rwd = fun" and "FWD = boring". i've driven boring back wheel drive cars (Opels, Lexus, most executive barges) and fun, adjustable front drive cars (Mark II Golf, Mark I new Mini). In the old Golf, you only understeered if you pitched in too fast, and, if you did, which you often did, all you had to do was lift off the accelerator briefly, the nose tucked back into line, and then you nailed it on the exit. of course, if you didn't get back on the power quick, you were in trouble, but the genius of the car was that this fun technique was intuitive for an average driver. but i've driven too many boring rear drive cars to buy the notion that all you have to do to get a fun car is to specify RWD. there are boring cars (most of them) and fun cars; and they exist in all layouts, try widely before jumping to second-hand conclusions

The best handling car for me is ford flex. Its really superb.
    -----------------
    buying a used car
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-09-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Removed the website ... please no advertising

You cant have fun in a fwd. You can have to much fun in a rwd. So maybe a awd 30-70 best balance ?. is there such a thing ?.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.S View Post
    You cant have fun in a fwd. You can have to much fun in a rwd. So maybe a awd 30-70 best balance ?. is there such a thing ?.
    You are so wrong.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You are so wrong.
    I'm just thinking of better grip all round, but still have oversteer for fun an excitement.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

I'm just thinking of better grip all round, but still have oversteer for fun an excitement.
    Front wheel drive cars can provide plenty of oversteer if you know how to do it. And grip is overrated.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Front wheel drive cars can provide plenty of oversteer if you know how to do it. And grip is overrated.
    But they lack the throttle control that can steer the rear. Grip is overrated until you have none lol.

But they lack the throttle control that can steer the rear. Grip is overrated until you have none lol.
    You can steer the rear with FWD and throttle... so easy..

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    You can steer the rear with FWD and throttle... so easy..
    But it's a bit un-natural for it ?. I remember years ago at brands hatch i think ?, John Cleland doing a drift in his Vectra. Wasn't easy to hold onto, that looked spectacular though.

But it's a bit un-natural for it ?. I remember years ago at brands hatch i think ?, John Cleland doing a drift in his Vectra. Wasn't easy to hold onto, that looked spectacular though.
    ive you drive a properly set up fwd sportscar, you can slide the back end around all you want. it takes some practice not to drive it into a ditch, but its actually less tricky than a tail happy rwd car. (btw this is from experience, not bench racing)
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    ive you drive a properly set up fwd sportscar, you can slide the back end around all you want. it takes some practice not to drive it into a ditch, but its actually less tricky than a tail happy rwd car. (btw this is from experience, not bench racing)
    Agreed. The Mini is a car you drive with the throttle, arguably more than the BMW.
    Visca Catalunya!

You can have loads of fun in a mk.I GTI, so FWD is not all bad. That said, the best handling production car I've driven hard would probably have to be a Caterham - if it qualifies as a production car. If not, then the first Exige.

With regards to the 118d vs. the Mini, I think the premise for the two are different. The 118d is, arguably, set up from the factory to be an autobahn econocruiser, where as the Cooper S is supposed to be the heir to the exceptionally handling Cooper S of old. Not having driven them back to back, I would be surprised if the Mini didn't make me smile more around a twisty mountain road.

Anyway, my point being, it's less of an RWD vs. FWD, and more of a cruising RWD vs. performing FWD question.
    Turning money into memories.

you don't really "steer" with the rear in a FWD.
    You can make the rear kick out like a RWD, but it's slowing you down in all but a hairpin.
    As long as you have grip, FWD "steers" where the front wheels are pointing if the driver limits the wheelspin. Left foot braking, handbraking and steering flicks can get the back end to break loose so you can get better drive by straightening up the fronts and acelerating.

Personally you can have as much fun in both -- just "different"

Thread Information