Thread: Engine Clatter

Engine Clatter

i recently purchaced an 82 s10 it has had a rebuilt 2.8v6 i don't know much about the truck or engine. it idles a little irratic, but has plenty of power. when u give it a little gass it seems to spin-up pretty good, except for a little clatter that sounds like it is comming from the heads. i know that it is a 60 degree v6, but i don't know much about it. somebody told me that on some of the gm engines they have a natural clatter, but i want this truck to last me as long as possible, so i figured i'd get a few more oppions.

when you say clatter, does it hsoudn liek a very very light metallic sound or something more 'solid' ?
    MOST likely problem is fuelling and you're pre-igniting the fuel. Get the timing and fuling checked.
    If it's more 'solid' sounding metallic then it may be a number of things in the valve train.
    Bent rocker arm, out of adjustment rockers, worn hydraulic tappet, worn followers, broken valve spring. What's the oil pressure like and the condition of the oil - IF it has hydraulic tappets it's possible they're not filling properly, is it worse at start up or when the engine is hot ?
    Modern engines shouldnt' sound 'tappety' unless it's a cr@p design or badly maintained !!!

Start with the timing. Then the fulling. Then get a workschop manual and pull the rocker cover and inspect as advised.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I know absolutely nothing about this, except my fatehr has a GM van with (I believe) a 2.8 v6, and he has a huge problem with carbon buildup and the EGR valve

it's like a clicking noise... a soft metal to metal tap. i also noticed it misses at idle more when it taps. i put a screwdriver to the valve cover and listened, in whitch i was warned not to do b/c mooving parts... it sounded almost like a camera click click click. the passanger side makes more noise than the driverside. it does not sound like something with a lot of force like say a rod. it's like that almost out of oil sound. oh yea it is a carburated moter and the noise kinda comes and goes. when the choke goes off the noise fades almost goes away for a little bit, but later on down the road you will hear it from time to time, taking off or gearing down
    Last edited by beejium; 09-14-2005 at 12:38 AM.

Step through my suggestions one by one, beejium.
    I would still suggest tappet adjustment and if not that a sticky follower.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

any idea where i could find a cheap reliable 350v8 to replace all the problems?

Thread Information