Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10-question Engine/Layout quiz...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    This question was already answered
    i know, but i beleive only 2 of three required answers were given before my late attempt at the quiz !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    i know, but i beleive only 2 of three required answers were given before my late attempt at the quiz !!
    Hi just to answer your question you asked me earlier, I was not only in Cairo, but also in Ismaila. I will always remember the return trip to Cairo, when a truck loaded with oranges had toppled over and everybody stopped to collect the oranges, most likely not to return them to the owner!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    There's also a misunderstanding here. Most FF cars have a transverse engine (not though Audi) but a transaxle means the engine in front and the gearbox in the rear dif. This means cars like the Alfa 75, Alfa 90 and the Ferrari Daytona.
    I think transaxle meant any arrangement where the gearbox and diff were in one unit.
    So most rear engine in-line cars have transaxles as the gearbox and diff are a seperate unit bolted to the block. I don't think it's usually referred to the transverse rear-engines as the box and diff share the oil system, so it's not truly a seperate unit. For me that's splitting hairs.
    The transaxle as a compeltely seperate unit in some Portsche, Ferrari, Alfa with prop coming from engine to transaxle helps improve weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I think transaxle meant any arrangement where the gearbox and diff were in one unit.
    So most rear engine in-line cars have transaxles as the gearbox and diff are a seperate unit bolted to the block. I don't think it's usually referred to the transverse rear-engines as the box and diff share the oil system, so it's not truly a seperate unit. For me that's splitting hairs.
    The transaxle as a compeltely seperate unit in some Portsche, Ferrari, Alfa with prop coming from engine to transaxle helps improve weight distribution.
    IMHO Transaxles are always part of a front engined/rear driven car, whereby the dif and the box are put together in the rear axle layout. For rear engined cars this is the obvious position, but then everything is put together as one unit.

Edit: just saw where I made the mistake, in stead of rear engine, I should have written rear driven. Sorry for causing the hairsplitting activities.

Eggnog, please, the EB110 has a central engine, not a rear one.
    Sorry, I forgot what my original question was

I was just thinking AWD

Man, can't believe I messed that one up

Man, can't believe I messed that one up
    If that's going to be your only mistake in life it should be OK

There's also a misunderstanding here. Most FF cars have a transverse engine (not though Audi) but a transaxle means the engine in front and the gearbox in the rear dif. This means cars like the Alfa 75, Alfa 90 and the Ferrari Daytona.
    A transaxle does not have anything to do with the location of the engine. A transaxle is simply when the gearbox and the differential are the same unit. Since most FF cars have a transverse engine, most also have a transaxle to utilize the lack of space.
    Last edited by Ferrari F50; 02-23-2004 at 02:46 AM.

Of course, you'll notice that I never said only

Answers might include the Bugatti EB110, the Porsche Carrera 4, or the Porsche 959
    I did in fact state those cars (minus the EB110 for reasons already discussed) in a subsequent post

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari F50
    1. Name 2 FF cars: Ford Taurus, Honda Accord
    4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4: Porsche 356, Porsche 550, VW Beetle
    550 is mid-engined i think
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari F50
    Since most FF cars have a transverse engine, most also have a transaxle to utilize the lack of space.
    original Mini format engine/box/diff do NOT describe it as transaxle.
    I was lead to believe that this is because it is NOT a 'seperate unit' as the gearbox and diff share the engine casing and oil.

I agree that a seperate gearbox/diff unit bolted to the engine in an FWD or AWD would be a transaxle eg Subaru front.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    original Mini format engine/box/diff do NOT describe it as transaxle.
    I was lead to believe that this is because it is NOT a 'seperate unit' as the gearbox and diff share the engine casing and oil.

I agree that a seperate gearbox/diff unit bolted to the engine in an FWD or AWD would be a transaxle eg Subaru front.

IMHO a transaxle is the shortened version of transmission axle, which denotes the axle that connects the engine with the gearbox. In common literature your will note that the Daytona is being described as having a transaxle, i.e. engine in front and gearbox in the rear dif. The confusion may have been caused by using the interpretation "transverse" axle, which I think is wrong. The linking axle from the f.i. the Skyline's central gearbox to the front dif could also be called a transaxle.

As stated before, a transaxle is the name for a gearbox combined with a differential. These are most commonly used in front engined / rear driven cars. Another option is to have the gearbox bolted onto the engine. A transaxle is better for weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Another option is to have the gearbox bolted onto the engine.

That is the normal option for front engined/rear driven cars, but then the axle is called drive shaft and not transaxle. The transaxle runs with the revs of the engine, the drive shaft with the revs generated from the gearbox.

A transaxle is better for weight distribution.
    but gearshifting is more awkward due to the distance from the shifter.

It has been my understanding/misunderstanding(?) that a transaxle was a combined gearbox with a differential (as previously stated) as with Front engine/FWD cars, this does not apply to most front engine RWD where the gearbox and diff are 2 separate components connected via a driveshaft, 1 exception comes directly to mind is the Porsche 928 which had front engine RWD but the gearbox mounted in the rear making it a genuine front engine RWD transaxle set up.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    It has been my understanding/misunderstanding(?) that a transaxle was a combined gearbox with a differential (as previously stated) as with Front engine/FWD cars, this does not apply to most front engine RWD where the gearbox and diff are 2 separate components connected via a driveshaft, 1 exception comes directly to mind is the Porsche 928 which had front engine RWD but the gearbox mounted in the rear making it a genuine front engine RWD transaxle set up.
    just as the already mentioned Daytona and the Alfa 75.

Thread Information