Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-question Engine/Layout quiz...

10-question Engine/Layout quiz...

Here's a set of questions for you guys...you don't need to answer them all, but answer what you can Some are extremely easy, and some are a little more difficult...

I hate to use the general Gran Turismo fanboy acronyms, but for the sake of this thread, they do make things a lot easier. [First initial is engine location (Front/mid/rear), and second names the drive wheels (front/rear)...

I left the colons and the bold formatting in so that you can copy-and-paste the answer. Just add a " [ " to the beginning of each one and it'll all work.

b]1. Name 2 FF cars:[/b]
    b]2. Name 2 FR cars:[/b]
    b]3. Name 2 MR cars:[/b]
    b]4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4[/b]
    b]5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6[/b]
    b]6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8[/b]
    b]7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12[/b]
    b]8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)[/b]
    b]9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle[/b]
    b]10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheels[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Here's a set of questions for you guys...you don't need to answer them all, but answer what you can Some are extremely easy, and some are a little more difficult...
    1. Name 2 FF cars:Nissan nx2000, my car :-) vw bug
    2. Name 2 FR cars: ford taurus, caddy sixteen
    3. Name 2 MR cars: vauxhall vx220, ferrari 360
    4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4 original vw bug, porsche 356, i can only think of those
    5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6 m3....
    6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8 ferrari 360, ford gt40, ferrari 355
    7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12 lambo murcie
    8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle) mazda rx8, rx7? maybe a vw?
    9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle no idea
    10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsariel atom, maybe a go kart

Quote Originally Posted by nat0_turbo
    1. Name 2 FF cars:Nissan nx2000, my car :-) vw bug
    2. Name 2 FR cars: ford taurus, caddy sixteen
    3. Name 2 MR cars: vauxhall vx220, ferrari 360
    4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4 original vw bug, porsche 356, i can only think of those
    5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6 m3....
    6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8 ferrari 360, ford gt40, ferrari 355
    7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12 lambo murcie
    8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle) mazda rx8, rx7? maybe a vw?
    9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle no idea
    10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsariel atom, maybe a go kart
    1. Both are correct.
    2. The Sixteen is correct, but the Taurus is FWD.
    3. Both are correct.
    4. Those two are correct, but we need another
    5. Nope, the M3 has an inline-6.
    6. All three are correct.
    7. Nope, the Murcielago has a V12.
    8. The RX-8 and RX-7 are correct, but we need another.
    10. Nope... this was kind of a trick question

So, nat0_turbo got a few of 'em done... let's finish up the rest

Still to go:

b]2. Name 2 FR cars:[/b]
    b]8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)[/b]
    b]9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle[/b]
    b]10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheels[/b]

Aww c'mon guys.... I know there's a few trivia buffs out there that would like to tackle at least a couple more of these!

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    2. Name 2 FR cars:Mustang GT, Camaro SS
    7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12Ferrari Berlineta (sp?) Boxer
    8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)TVR Speed 12, Viper GTS(?)
    9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Toyota Supra
    10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsAWD? Murcielago, TommyKaira ZZII, Gallardo, Bugatti Veyron, Porsche 959

Sweet, getting close!

Still four more remaining: (Remember, you must answer all of them)

front mounted flat six : Opel Senator 3.0i and any BMW with over 2 ltr engine
    front mounted "mid engine" : Donkervoort D8, Caterham Seven, Lotus SuperSeven (kinda cheating since they are simular cars)
    Insanity is a stroke of genius

Simplicity is the key to genius

Simple = Insane?

rear mounted flat 4 ... a lot of porsches ..
    356B
    356 Abarth

mid mounted Flat 12
    Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512 BB
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Well, you guys got three more, which only leaves one remaining. Burrito, the Opel Senator and the BMW's have a V6 up front, rather than a flat six.

So: There's only one car I can think of with a front-mounted Flat-6. What is it?

(No, it's not a 911 driving backwards )

I'm sorry mate, the senator has a line engine (there has been a V6 version, but trust me on the line engine, my bro has one).... you could be right about the bmw though.... let me check...

edit:

or do you mean by flat a boxer?
    that's a Subaru Outback
    Last edited by Burrito; 02-10-2004 at 06:25 PM.
    Insanity is a stroke of genius

Simplicity is the key to genius

Simple = Insane?

Well, you guys got three more, which only leaves one remaining. Burrito, the Opel Senator and the BMW's have a V6 up front, rather than a flat six.

So: There's only one car I can think of with a front-mounted Flat-6. What is it?

(No, it's not a 911 driving backwards )
    Jaguar Mark II?
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Subaru wedge in the 1980s had a 6 cylinder version of their normal 4 to get some decent performance !
    had to use www to get the model though - the XT6 and it was the mid-late 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Burrito
    I'm sorry mate, the senator has a line engine (there has been a V6 version, but trust me on the line engine, my bro has one).... you could be right about the bmw though.... let me check...

edit:

or do you mean by flat a boxer?
    that's a Subaru Outback
    Sorry about the Opel Senator information. We don't get Opels in Canada, so unfortunately I have a fairly limited knowledge. I searched "Opel Senator V6" on Google on the basis of a hunch, and one of the first site mentioned a V6 Senator. So that's where that information is from, but I'm sure you're right regardless.

Anyway, it occurs to me that there's actually a host of Subarus that have a flat-six up front. A couple of you got some right answers

Possibilities are: Subaru XT6, Subaru Outback H6, and (the one I was thinking of) the Subaru SVX.

The SVX never sold very well, probably because they never even had a TV ad for it, and also because it was only ever available with some odd automatic-ish gearbox. A friend of mine's Dad owned (or maybe still owns) one of the only ones I've ever seen. Pretty comfortable and fairly fast; it's a shame they sold so few of them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Subaru wedge in the 1980s had a 6 cylinder version of their normal 4 to get some decent performance !
    had to use www to get the model though - the XT6 and it was the mid-late 80s
    I also think that the very latest Subaru Legacy estate can come with a front-mounted flat-six in top of the range guise. In the UK it does anyway, couldn't really say about anywhere else.

Also, on the subject of the whole "front/mid-engined" thing, the big sportscar companies (Ferrari, Aston, Mercedes-McLaren) are coming out with all the spiel about how clever they are by using this apparently revolutionary layout. However, it isn't new or revolutionary in the slightest. Every TVR ever made has been front-mid engine, rear wheel drive. Also virtually every sportscar and racing car of the 10s 20s 30s and 40s was layed out like this. It's just common sense really, makes you wonder why anyone ever bothered sticking the engine on top of the front axle at all!

Thread Information