Thread: Aussies are crazy afterall

Aussies are crazy afterall

Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press
    Football Player Plans to Amputate Finger

Brett Backwell, who plays Australian rules football for Glenelg, a suburb of the city of Adelaide in South Australia state, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. he has suffered from pain and restricted movement since he broke his left ring finger three years ago.

Doctors had suggested fusing the bones in the finger, but Backwell rejected the proposal.

He said he believed that amputating the finger was the only way to stop the pain and allow him to keep playing.

"To chop a finger off, that's a bit drastic," Backwell told the ABC. "But I love my footy (football), and love playing sport, and if that's going to help me to succeed at this level then it's something you've just got to do."
    At best this guy may play for 5-10 years. Is it really worth it?

thereve been times when i wanted to blow my brains out because of a headache. i just never get around to it

It's only a finger !!

I've known guys make choices like that ( maybe not quite as extreme ) over my years in Rugby.

At Uni the guy I shared a flat with had the ends removed after an accident rather than face years of reconstructive surgery adn pain. He decided he didnt; really need the last 1/2" of 2 fingers. Got on fine and was back playing prop in 3 months !!

As long as his wife doesn't mind, nobody's likely to even notice the finger is missing !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I don't know about that decision......
    pondering things

I'm no expert, but doesn't Aussie rules football involve a lot of catching and handling of the ball? Surely losing a finger is gonna hamper that somewhat!

On the subject of bravery in the face of sporting injuries, try this one out for size.....

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNews.com
    PAINFUL TACKLE FOR PLAYER

A footballer had to have six stitches in his penis after it was ripped open in a tackle.

Chavdar Yankow, 21, sustained a three-inch gash playing for Hamburg 96 in Germany.

His shorts were "soaked with blood" but team doctors managed to patch Yankow up.

Amazingly, after the painful incident Yankow returned to the pitch and played on.

And the German went on to score in his side's 2-0 win over Frankfurt.

Gotta respect a man who can score with a torn penis!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Perfect use of a pun!

I'm no expert, but doesn't Aussie rules football involve a lot of catching and handling of the ball? Surely losing a finger is gonna hamper that somewhat!

On the subject of bravery in the face of sporting injuries, try this one out for size.....

Thats nothing. This guy, Buck Shelford, in NZ rugby, literally had his testicle fall out. He got stiched up and started playing again.

Being the ring finger it wont alter his ball handling that much. If it was his index finger it would be a big issue, as thats a major finger and how players have to pass the ball in AFL would make it near impossible to do so, unless he was left handed of course..
    I am the Stig

This is not a 1 off. Westcoast Eagles player Daniel Chick had his finger amputating some years back. And this season was his best by far.
    There has been many before him EX Bulldog Skipper Scott Wynd had 2 missing fingers.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information