Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could someone tell me what car this is

Could someone tell me what car this is

I saw this car a few weeks ago on the parking lot of my school, it looked strange so I took a couple of pics of it (camera phone). After that I went back in for my digicamera but when i came out the car was gone. That's why I only got these pics of it and they're not very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jaguar? MG? that looks different. Shelby?
    All bowlers need a 'Hammond Step-up'

"Do you think we'll actually find a communist Car that we actually like?" - James May

At first glance I thought Fiat Abarth 1000 but the logo and the general shape of it make me cetainly think otherwhys. I think the badge is one for Matra to tell us the answer to

Those back fins make me Think Daimler Dart or something.

It's not though....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

man that's a weird ****in car..hahaha

my first thought is a kit car. look at the finishing of the rear lights.a manufacturer "should"never do it that way.

A custom Triumph Spitfire Coupe?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

yep, unmistakably Spitfire based

Spitfire was my first tought as well but the rear end didn't match with any of the spitfires I have seen before. But thanks for the help..

Quote Originally Posted by dul
    Spitfire was my first tought as well but the rear end didn't match with any of the spitfires I have seen before. But thanks for the help..
    the rear lights are spitfire, probably somebody made a special hardtop. Also the hinges for the engine cover are in the typical spitfire position.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It looks afunny hodge-podge of pieces. The holes in the wings fro extra cooling/breating and the rear end treatment, the front also doesnt' look quite right for factory spitfire Finally the wheel badges are MORRIS, who had nothing to do with the spit. So either we're looking at a kit, possibly using fibreglass spitfire front end ? Possibly tacked on something else ? Those rear lights - Daimler Dart ???
    Might it jsut be the work to fit the hardtop that then made the rest seem 'odd' and it IS a Spit ??

Got me stumped unless we get a few more detailed pics showing engine, suspensin and interior configurations.

EDIT> aha, my hardtop comment stuck with me It's an ASHLEY hardtop fitted to a Spitfire : The wheels aren't standard See
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 09-17-2005 at 06:59 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Those rear lights - Daimler Dart ???
    here's your answer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

don't like the hardtop at allfortunately , they don't have it in Maxi 1000

I think I know

I'm not 100% convinced of the origin, but it's definitely a kit car from the late 1980's. I remember I used to get the magazines for car buffs and there were always cars like this that you could make yourself. The badge, I think, is Spanish and this car was called something like the Torreo or the Taurus - something like that - I hope you find out one day! And whoever thinks it's a Daimler Dart needs his head read...
    Last edited by delapau; 09-19-2005 at 07:08 AM. Reason: What kind of a moron would think of a Daimler Dart! - Sacrilege

Quote Originally Posted by delapau
    I'm not 100% convinced of the origin, but it's definitely a kit car from the late 1980's. I remember I used to get the magazines for car buffs and there were always cars like this that you could make yourself. The badge, I think, is Spanish and this car was called something like the Torreo or the Taurus - something like that - I hope you find out one day! And whoever thinks it's a Daimler Dart needs his head read...
    perhaps your head should have read a little further before posting

The pictures posted confirm it's an Ashley.

I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone suggesting Spanish kit car needs a psychiatric consultation AND in my defence !! I did say i looked like parts tacked on a kit suggesting the Dart because of the rear wings - though I DID type "lights" and was wrong. Trygin to identify cars involves making lots in inferences nad guess before getting it right. Part of the fun.

I can e-mail you some humble-pie, but in best tradition it will be deep-fried

Welcome to UCP. Maybe contain the excitement a little !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information