Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My 911's

Some day I'd love to have a Ferrari I love those dam things but if they are anything like the two Ducatis I owned or the Alfa my brother had....I'm going to need a better income to keep them in tune, My favorite is the F40.....man that is cool

There are some models of Ferrari that are relatively inexpensive, but like you say, God help you at the first service after just a few thousand miles, which is unavoidable and will cost you $$$$!
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    There are some models of Ferrari that are relatively inexpensive, but like you say, God help you at the first service after just a few thousand miles, which is unavoidable and will cost you $$$$!
    Actually the 1980s V8 are affordable and relatively easy to maintain. If treated well the engines are bullet proof. It gets a lot worse with the V12, which need their belts replaced way more often, which usually means an engine out of car repair. IIRC the V8s can have their belts replaced with the engine still in the car, which should shave 1000s off the bill. The only real problem with these cars is the electronics, and it really pays off to get a modern wiring set installed, with wires big enough to actually handle the currents.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Ferrari Vs Porsche

I see 308's in the 20-30K range but the Ferrari guys I've met kinda blow the car off as the 914 of the Ferrari world....By the way I like and own 914's but the other models seem way out of reach of my middle class income, I guess if it was my only toy and my son grown and gone but as it sits now talking with the guys at the track who own and race these things it seems 2X the amount of a porsche in all ways....I WILL get one one day but it may sit and get waxed alot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. Those pics make me weak in the knees.

back to black

Well went back to the sinister look,Black rims Halloween etc...

Nice!

BTW, I'd settle for "the 914 of the Ferrari world" any day of the week!

Cheers,

G
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

another Porsche to my collection

Just picked up a 83 944 for 5500, orginal owner car, Very clean but spent the last two days getting her in order, Needs seats but I covered till then, No HP but wow it handels great, This is our new Family car!
    Brian

Congrats on your new car! It looks stunning! And it's more practical than the 911's. Better for everyday use!
    Nice taste!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Wow -that's in amazing condition! Looks NEW!!

I remember a local farmer's wife had a red one from new in our village.

(He wasn't an ordinary farmer I should add, since these weren't cheap when they were new! His name is Tony Strawson and at the time he reportedly supplied 20% [that may have been optimistic, but a lot of spuds] of all of Walkers' potatos - Walkers being one of the largest potato chip manufacturers in the UK...)
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Guest Guest
    wow, using a Porsche as a family car!

Thanks guys, Got her registered today....deal with the Calif DMV...What a fun day, It had out of state plates etc.....Waste of a good driving day, But its done.

i've been looking at 944s for when i can afford a good car, any major problems that crop up with them?

Yes, try to find a low milage with the timing belts and water pump changed, its a real weak point, I think the timing belts should be checked/replaced every 30K, I looked at several most had it done, price range for cars in California were 2500-6500, the low being beat. The 5K range will get you a nice one. I know where a mint Cond, Euro model is (automatic) very very clean for 5K, its cleaner than mine and I would have bought but I wanted a manuel transmission. Its a fun car, rides nice, not very fast....but corners great. My friend has the Turbo, They fly but are not too reliable, Same price range , If you go Turbo make sure the wastegate has been replaced too along with water pump and timing belts. If a belt goes good chance you will eat a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfiebl
    Just picked up a 83 944 for 5500, orginal owner car, Very clean but spent the last two days getting her in order, Needs seats but I covered till then, No HP but wow it handels great, This is our new Family car!
    Brian
    Congrats on your 944!! Looks like you need to start thinking about a bigger garage.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information