Thread: Urgent Help Needed - Rust!

Urgent Help Needed - Rust!

I have a problem - surface rust on my car.
    What are the ways to remove it and prevent it from spreading? There are a number of damaged spots, so something cheap and quick is preferable
    Rust is like this:
    [img=http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7838/163630217xv.th.jpg]
    It really hurts to see rust like that...

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I did not know where to put it, but since my car is Australian I thought I will put it here.
    Thank you in advance.

scrape off the obviously loose flakes and treat with POR-15 or similar ( usually cheaper ) treatments which convert Iron Oxide into a stable finish. Then prime and paint.

OR the traditional method ... scrape off the flakes, wire brush and sand/grind down to 'good' metal - shiny - and then treat immediately with primer. Then paint.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I am planing on doing some patching up on my car before fall starts. Matra tell me more about this POR-15. do you have to use it even if you get the surface rust down to clean metal? The problem has just started so its not exactly terrible yet, but i figured its better to catch it now then next spring because of the shitty weather and the shit load of road salt its about to meet.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thanks Matra that's all I wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    I am planing on doing some patching up on my car before fall starts. Matra tell me more about this POR-15. do you have to use it even if you get the surface rust down to clean metal? The problem has just started so its not exactly terrible yet, but i figured its better to catch it now then next spring because of the shitty weather and the shit load of road salt its about to meet.

As far as I understand from their website (http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6) POR-15 is not only rust remover but also rust protection so its worth putting it over the clean metal as well, but don't forget to prime and paint that spot afterwards because the direct sunlight will damage the POR-15 cover.
    Last edited by Azon; 09-19-2005 at 07:28 PM.

Or as my grandfather would say if in doubt cut it out
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Azon, we used Kill Rust on my sister's old morris, there was a lot of surface rust on the inside. That worked a treat.

im with pimento in that kill rust works well. easily findable in Autopro or Autobarn, possibly even Supercheap could have it. Works for what you need it to do.
    The Datto will rage again...

yeah, POR-15 can be expensive and it does tend to go "off" in the tin if left

CHeaper alternatives and locally available rust-convertors will be OK, BUT POR-15 is no doubt THE best I've ever come across. With a classic car when you are treating rust you dont' want to have to come back to redo it in 5-10 years so the expense and hassle is worth it. Sorry, I was showing my bias to keeping old cars on the roads and in use, for "normal" car ownership any over the counter rust-convertor will likely be good enough.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

We did use it to keep an old car on the road, my sister drives a 1963 Morris Major Elite. I've actually never heard of this POR-15. We used it on basically the entire inside of the floor in the back and under the rear seat, because the rear window was leaking.

Thread Information