Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F40 vs Viper (engines)

F40 vs Viper (engines)

Ok ... don't get all flamey on me, I'm not stupid enough to make this direct comparison I was just wondering if anyone knew if the engine from the F40 is lighter than the V10 from the Viper. I was speaking to some friends in another forum and they were discussing the economy of each because the argument started with someone saying "The Viper has a huge gas guzzling 8-litre" and then someone said about the F40 being less economic than the Viper.

But I recon that having an 8-litre would make the engine much heavier, in theory. Has anyone got the weights of each engine or would like to explain which engine is lighter and if possible, why. Thankyou

I don't have any official figures...

But I'm guessing the Viper's would be alot heavier
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

I would imagine the Viper engine is heavier. But I guess the point the guy was making about economy is that even though it's a relatively small engine there are a pair of hooooooooge turbos and intercoolers on the F40, so it would inevitably be pretty hopeless fuel consumption-wise when driven on full boost.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Yeah im sure the F40 is alot lighter. The vipers got that hugh block in it. The F40 is to barebone for me though

Well the point I was trying to make is that fuel economy doesnt matter with supercars and that the problem with cars with a large capacity is that they weight much heavier.

damn I can't find a reference to it.

But I'm pretty sure at the launch of the Bristol Fighter they talked about the decision to modify the Viper V10 for it and they said it was able to give them better power for about the same weight as the F40. SOrry I can't find the original report

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/BristolFighter.htm
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Bristol live in a world of their own though...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Bristol live in a world of their own though...
    yeah I know, 300 grand for a car and you didn't even know if it woudl take off at speed

only referering to it as I remembered the owner/designer at the time mentioning how light the Viper block was and that with their lightened components and headers it was the asme as teh Ferrari
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Also, anyone know the best lap time of the F40 round the 'Ring? Ive got the time for the SRT10 .. just need the F40 now

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    Also, anyone know the best lap time of the F40 round the 'Ring? Ive got the time for the SRT10 .. just need the F40 now
    From Tsububa circuit .

1,03,73 Ferrari F40
    ( top of the list )
    1,07,89 Dodge Viper
    ( it was about 50-odd in the list )

This was from last year some time.

Nordschliefe is difficult as their not supposed to time unless you have closed the track . AND most private owners don't post their times publicly.

had a search throught the various clubs and links I know of who go regularly and coudlnt' find any SOME of them have removed the lap times too, seemingly they're getting lots of guys crashign now because they're thinking lap time rather than corner !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    From Tsububa circuit .

1,03,73 Ferrari F40
    ( top of the list )
    1,07,89 Dodge Viper
    ( it was about 50-odd in the list )

This was from last year some time.

Nordschliefe is difficult as their not supposed to time unless you have closed the track . AND most private owners don't post their times publicly.

had a search throught the various clubs and links I know of who go regularly and coudlnt' find any SOME of them have removed the lap times too, seemingly they're getting lots of guys crashign now because they're thinking lap time rather than corner !!!
    Gutting, wouldn't mind seeing the lap times...

I'm guessing it would probably be low eights.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    Gutting, wouldn't mind seeing the lap times...

I'm guessing it would probably be low eights.
    aha, got sent this from one of the guys....

Dodge Viper GTS 8:10,

This is an old time with the older heavier VIper.

berzzzzzt....psht.....wot bout teh skyline injin? its fastr n bettr den dose to other injins......pfft.....my skyline can beat de F40 wid out dem turbo's init......
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    berzzzzzt....psht.....wot bout teh skyline injin? its fastr n bettr den dose to other injins......pfft.....my skyline can beat de F40 wid out dem turbo's init......
    Tsububa time ...

1,04,57 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R34)

so you skyline iz not so fast.
    Better than da viper though sho 'nuff!

I'd imagine that the fact when you run off the throttle in the F40 its dumps fuel would reduce fuel economy, unless it was a particlularly big one
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information