Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Downtime

Possible Downtime

Good day,

As you all have already heard, there is a big hurricane heading the direction of Texas. Our server is located in Houston, Texas, which is expected to be right in the path of 'Rita'. Our host has a full emergency plan in place, and is prepared to continue operation even when the power supply is cut. There is enough fuel in store to propel the generators for a few days, and arrangements have already been made to purchase more fuel locally if necessary.
    Regardless of the precautions in place there is always the possibility of unpredictable damage, so if the site seems down over the weekend there is a big chance the hurricane hit harder than expected.

We would also like to express our sympathy in advance for the forum members and others in the area for which these must be very terrifying times. Let's hope the hurricane will not be as volatile as expected!

Thanks for your time,
    WM
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

indeed... I would first like to concur, that my thoughts are with everyone in the area.

I would also like to throw in my $0.02 about the server/transport to the server. We have equipment in the area and we've been getting generators positioned the last couple of days... so the switches will run to make the transport go, and if the web hosting place has generators, we should be good to go on UCP - unless there are span problems on the transport (which has been known to happen in hurricanes) or there is detruction of a site (which has also been known to happen in hurricanes) - but I think UCP will, most likely stay up...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Man that sucks! Hope nothing happens to the sever.
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Hope UCP stays up, but you knever know with hurricanes. Good luck to all UCP members riding the storm. Hope you are all gonna be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by man 430gt
    Man that sucks! Hope nothing happens to the sever.
    Yeah, screw all the people, so long as the server survives
    Thanks for all the fish

Good luck to all those in the Gulf area, my prayers are with you and your families. Hopefully the server remains in tact as well.

Isn't it something like the 3'rd largest hurricane to hit America in history or something? If so, THAT'S INSANE!!!! Good lukc guys, but if I were you, I'd stay at cousin Joe's or whatever for a while
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

My thoughts and prayers are with all UCP members in the path of this storm. Don't take any more risks than you have to guys!!! Hope to hear from you all when it's over.

If the UCP server stays up, that would be cool too.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Isn't it something like the 3'rd largest hurricane to hit America in history or something?
    3rd strongest of all time in the atlantic. God speed to those in the gulf.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    3rd strongest of all time in the atlantic. God speed to those in the gulf.
    Two words - HOLY SH*T!!!!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Yes, maybe now people will start getting knowledgable about global warming.

My heart goes out to those unfortunate souls fleeing thier homes in the least favourable of conditions right now, likely to a place of which they have no idea where.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Yeah, screw all the people, so long as the server survives
    That was uncalled for. You know what he meant.

Sometimes communication is as much about what you don't say more than what you do.

I don't like it when people think it a good use of their time to post "the poor server" or "oh that poor enzo that was crashed", but "those poor people" is apparently not worth their time or consideration.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    That was uncalled for. You know what he meant.
    sarcasm

Used to highlight the concern for the servers seemed to be on a par with the concern for people.

The smiley was there from CS, you need to observe these and consider how it is trygin to be humourous AND make a point.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Sometimes communication is as much about what you don't say more than what you do.

I don't like it when people think it a good use of their time to post "the poor server" or "oh that poor enzo that was crashed", but "those poor people" is apparently not worth their time or consideration.
    His condolence post to the people was in the other threads in the miscellanious forum. So he doesn't have the screw people attitude.

Also if you notice he was not the only one in this thread who didn't mention anything about the victims.

This thread in itself is about the server in anycase, he can't be blamed if he posted that immediately after reading about the server. He infact did mention the storm (Man that sucks! - for who obviously??) and THEN the server in the next line. If you say he was talking about the server with that too then he was obviously remembering the forum and his friends here on UCP, not to mention some of his Texan ones who he already wished the best of luck to. You can ask him too.

Quote Originally Posted by MetA
    The smiley was there from CS, you need to observe these and consider how it is trygin to be humourous AND make a point.
    I know very well it was sarcasm. And it was a sarcasm smiley. Funny for everybody else maybe but often not for the original poster. See above too.
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 09-22-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Information