Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best European Supercar Ever

Best European Supercar Ever

Which of these is your most favorite.......?

Ferrari Enzo
    McClaren F1
    Mercielago
    Aston Martin Vanquish
    Porsche GT
    Diablo
    Bugatti Veyron
    Any Others...

other: FERRARI F50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say McLaren F1 that car is amazing, I downloaded a video about it and they show every little spec of the car. Headers are made of titanium cuz they are stronger and they weight a lot less, also the tools were made out of titanium for weight loss. A pice in the engine is made out of gold to resist the force generated by the engine or something like that.... That car cannot be compared with any of the list. McLaren is way over them

In respect to the gold made pieces they're in that car not to provide a stronger piece 'cause gold is one of the softest metals, as far as I know it was put there to provide insulation in the engine bay. Stay cool

Quote Originally Posted by de_michelis
    In respect to the gold made pieces they're in that car not to provide a stronger piece 'cause gold is one of the softest metals, as far as I know it was put there to provide insulation in the engine bay. Stay cool
    heat, or electricity insulation? definitely not electricity, as gold is the best conductor i know of.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    other: FERRARI F50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good call! I've never understood why the F50 never seems to get ranked in these 'Best Ever' type lists. McLaren F1 excluded, the F50 is definitely the best supercar of the 90s, far better than the XJ220 and better even than the Diablo. In terms of chassis dynamics and handling the F50 is reputed to be more than a match for the F1.

I remember former Formula 1 and sportscar driver Tiff Needel claiming in an old Top Gear roadtest that he woud be able to get the F50 round a tight twisty track like Monte Carlo faster than the Big Mac. It's just that the McLaren's extra power would be too much for the F50 on more high speed circuits.

I would still vote for the McLaren F1 overall, but I'd put the F50 in at least the top 5, maybe even top 2 or 3. Good to see there are still some people who value a purity of engineering in their sportscars and aren't wooed by all this high-tech driver aid and paddle gear shift nonsense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by de_michelis
    I think the gold was for heat CONDUCTION as opposed to insulation. Gold leaf was used to line the engine bay and the kind of 'mini-bay' which housed the exhaust. It was intended to conduct the heat produced by the car away from the engine and exhaust. I can't believe that it really made a huge difference, especially for what it must have cost to produce, but cost-effectiveness obviously wasn't much of a concern for Gordon Murray!

i agree, the f-50 is one of my all time favorites along with the enzo
    here are some nice pics of them

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Nice pics! Do you have any pics of black F50s? I've seen loads of red and grey/silver ones but I know they made black ones too, and would love to see one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

McLaren F1 hands down. Personally, I don't anything else coming anywhere near it in ranking

To re-hash all my arguments, you can read them in this thread:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ight=dethroned

f1...i'm sorry but nothing else comes close.

the sheer design of it, there was no compromise. Truly THE dream car....the only problem with it is that they designed it more for overall useability. The suspension isn't that tight. The track (LM, etc.) versions are much tighter, and obviously much faster. Still, it is the ultimate car.

The only thing faster is a dauer, but it still doesn't reach it.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

The McLaren F1, with the Ferrari F50 just behind it.
    The McLaren got more attention because it was so good reviewed by the press and it broke some records (most expensive, fastest). Also the McLaren F1 looked good and was a real icon to everyone. The F50 wasn't because it just wasn't the most beautiful Ferrari ever.

The Ferrari F50 never got the attention it deserved. Everybody looked at the stats and said: ' Not as fast as the McLaren F1, so it'll be not good '. But the F50 was actually a very good car, it just came out at the wrong time and was a bit overshadowed by the F1.
    Dreaming of a Peugeot 106 Rallye...

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist
    But the F50 was actually a very good car, it just came out at the wrong time and was a bit overshadowed by the F1.

Basicly the McLaren F1 was released at a time where most other manufacturers just couldn't make a car like that.... like the F50, but also the Jaguar XJ220, they released it ahead of scedule due to the F1... only so that it could have the ttle of fasted production car (for a year)....

The F1 just is a great car, in it's time and still is... I think it truely is the best sportscar ever.... However we have a couple of nice cars coming... Bugatti Veyron.... -drool-
    Insanity is a stroke of genius

Simplicity is the key to genius

Simple = Insane?

F*ck all those mate, give me an F 40, 33 Stradale ill b happy with a 365 GTB Daytona. The F1 is the most un attractive attempt of a supercar Ive ever seen, I recon actually driving the F1 Vs the Enzo around a race track we would see where the F1 fails, brakes, handling, stabbility at speed.... I wont to see Ferrari turn the Enzo into a lightweight GT car like that of the F1 GTR.
    Performance can Seduce

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    OMG never saw the first pic before, AWESOME

Thread Information