Thread: Supercharger Info

Supercharger Info

Hey im looking for a supercharger for my 1987 v6 2.8L engine any info please reply

Seriously, the cheapest performance gain would be a V8 swap, by far. Then again, I doubt that the stock tranny could take the power for too long...

Regardless, the costs of the supercharger and the installment of the entire system would surely be more than the difference in cost from selling your V6 firebird in favour of a V8 model...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Seriously, the cheapest performance gain would be a V8 swap, by far. Then again, I doubt that the stock tranny could take the power for too long...

Regardless, the costs of the supercharger and the installment of the entire system would surely be more than the difference in cost from selling your V6 firebird in favour of a V8 model...
    I concur. But If you insist on a V6, that 2.8 won't hack. This Guy had a 2.8 and swapped it for a 3.4, then he supercharged it. Probably easier to do and still have a/c and heating, but more expensive than putting a 305 or 350 in it.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

yea if i just do the engine swap what else will i need besides the engine

Quote Originally Posted by firebird87
    yea if i just do the engine swap what else will i need besides the engine
    Depends.... if you're putting a non-tuned 350 in there, it should work fine, providing it will bolt in. If you're putting something with more power in, you will DEFINITELY need to put a fitting transmission that can take the extra horsepower and torque the engine will make. You'll need to do research on it yourself- engine dimensions/engine bay dimensions to design or purchase engine mounts. If changing transmission, mounts will aslo be needed too. Be advised, if you put Big Block in (400 ci+). You may have an engine and no A/C.

If I think of anything later tonight, I'll post more.

thanks the one in my loacal wantads here is what it says Chevy 305 from a 1987 caprice has 120k miles on it.was working fine when swapped for a chevy 350

Sounds good. I looked up the specs of the engine you may be buying, and it is the same as the 305 that would come in the V-8 F-Body, also, It seems like they share a transmission, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.... I would invest in a Chilton's manual from that era to get the swap done right.

it was gone i called today i was waitin for the guy to call me back and he sold it altough i found another one its a chevy 350 long block less then 10k miles 4 bolt main 1.94 heads 8.5:1.Hes puttin his old engine and selling this one.......and i have a fuel injected in mine now do i have to get the same fuel inj or no and do they have to be th same year

Thread Information