Thread: MC12 - Clarkson Review

MC12 - Clarkson Review

By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times
    No, it's not a racing car, it's a road-going train

NI_MPU('middle');
    Cricket, obviously, is a monumentally dull spectator sport. And so is golf, and so is snooker. But the dullest, most excruciating sport of them all — and I’ll brook no argument on this — is the day-long motor race at Le Mans.

At four o’clock on the Saturday afternoon, a grid full of cars from companies you’ve never heard of, and drivers whose names you can’t even pronounce, set off on what in essence is a 24-hour economy run. And then it goes dark.

Now I’m sorry but how, in the name of Zeus’s butthole, can anyone with even a tiny sliver of intelligence imagine that spectators will be interested in watching a sport they can’t see? A pair of headlights is coming towards you and then, after a short, deafening roar, they are replaced by a set of red tail-lights whizzing off into the night. Was that a Courage that just went by, driven by Alfonso Percolinno? And if so, was it winning or coming last? There is no way on God’s earth of knowing.

All you do know is that the race, when it finishes at 4pm on the Sunday, will be won by the team with the most money. And that, for the past few years, has been Audi. Although, for marketing purposes, the car is not always called an Audi. Sometimes they replace the four rings with a flying B and call it a Bentley.

Frankly it would be easier, and quieter, if each team were asked to roll up with a copy of its most recent bank statement. Then the champagne could be given to the one with the most amount of noughts. That way we’d all be spared the public relations-inspired test of a car’s fuel consumption, held under the cover of darkness, half a country away from where 80% of the spectators live.

There’s talk among the sport’s fans that things will improve when the field is made up of proper road cars that everyone recognises. This, they say, is already happening with Aston Martin entering a DB9, Chevrolet a Corvette, Lamborghini a Murciélago, and Ferrari a 575.

Apparently if this new class becomes numerous and competitive enough the one-off Audi-style prototypes will be banned and it will be the basis on which all endurance racing is founded. That sounds great, but there are still two problems. First, it will still go dark, so for a third of the race we won’t see what’s going on. And second, the Italians will bend the rules so hard they are as near as dammit broken.

In fact, it’s already happening. You see, the new class is supposed to be for GT cars. That would be “grand tourers” like the Corvette, the DB9 and the 575. But what Maserati has done is go cap in hand to its sister company, Ferrari, and take away all the components from an Enzo, which is no more a GT car than my dog. From these it has made a racing car.

Of course the rules say that 25 road versions must be sold, but finding 25 people from a customer pool of 6 billion isn’t that hard. Even when the car in question costs £520,000 and doesn’t even have a back window.

If I’d been running the governing body, I’d have smiled while they explained how this car obeyed the letter of the law and then told them to get lost. But I’m not running the governing body, so even though it’s racing on wooden tyres it’s already out there winning races without breaking out of a canter.

More importantly, the 25 road cars have been sold, and last week I gave one of them a damn good thrashing.

Yes, it has the same carbon fibre skeleton as an Enzo and the same 6 litre V12 engine. It has the same flappy paddle gearbox, too, and the same set of controls for raising the nose to get over speed bumps, firming up the dampers and altering the savagery of the gearbox change action. But because it was conceived as a racing car, it needed better aerodynamics than the Ferrari on which it’s based. So it’s a full 2ft longer than the already bulky Enzo and a foot wider. The MC12, then, is absolutely bloody massive. And because you can’t see anything out of the back, parking is jolly tricky.

But amazingly, driving it isn’t. You expect when you see that air intake on the roof and those ludicrous overhangs that it’s going to be a full-on racing machine, a fire-spitting bone breaker. And when you step inside to be confronted with proper race harnesses instead of seatbelts, there is a sense of “here we go”.

But the engine fires quietly, the gearbox slides into first, and the steering is no heavier than a Nissan Micra’s. You can even remove the roof. The most astonishing thing, though, is the ride. This car glides over bumps, the suspension absorbing the roadworker Johnnies’ laziness without transferring a single ripple to the cool blue interior with its Milanese fashion house upholstery.

It’s weird. You climb into what looks like a racing car and yet it behaves like a family saloon. I think I know why they’ve done this. It’s so they can argue that it is a GT car, a comfortable long-distance cruiser with a boot. And we’ll gloss over the fact the boot lid needs an Allen key and three burly blokes to remove it.

I was still thinking along these lines when I first put my foot down. Oh. My. God.

There’s none of the aural histrionics you might expect from a car that churns out 623bhp. You just get a savage punch in your kidneys as the huge rev counter explodes round the dial. Bang, you pull the right-hand paddle and in a couple of milliseconds you have a new gear and a new kind of agony in your spleen. In less than 4sec you are past 60mph and on your way to 205mph.

It goes like a train, this car, but the most impressive thing is that it also feels like a train; one of those 180mph TGVs that whistle through France while you sit in silence eating cheese.

Sadly, things aren’t quite so satisfactory in the corners. Where an Enzo is flat and grippy, the MC12 wallows and understeers. And every time you go near the throttle you’re told via a dash warning panel that the traction-control system is keeping you out of the hedge. But hey, driving a car like this with the traction control on is like eating boil-in-the-bag food at the Wolseley. So you turn it off. And once again. Oh. My. God.

When the understeer comes, you give the throttle a tiny nudge to unstick the back end and . . . whoa, it’s as though the rear wing has been hit with a wrecking ball. Now you’ve got an armful of opposite lock and you know things are about to get messy.

It takes practice, getting this car to power slide. In the same way that it would take practice to get an aircraft carrier to power slide. But it is possible. And it’s worth it, because then you feel the Enzo foundations. The sense of total balance. That said, it’s not as good as an Enzo. It’s not as savage or as exciting. And it’s not as fast. But they only made 399 Enzos, so if you weren’t one of the lucky ones the MC12 might appear to be the next best thing.

Yes, it is very, very quick and it will, if you concentrate, blow your mind clean in half in the corners. But you’re always aware somehow that it’s a big, ugly, cobbled-together con trick with no back window. And that for couple of hundred grand less you could have a vastly superior Porsche Carrera GT.

Sure, this car was built to win races. But I’m afraid it fails to win something more important. My heart.

Vital statistics

Model Maserati MC12
    Engine type V12, 5998cc
    Power 623bhp @ 7500rpm
    Torque 582 lb ft @ 5500rpm
    Acceleration 0-62mph: 3.8sec
    Top speed 205mph
    Suspension double wishbone with pushrod
    Fuel 12.3mpg (combined)
    Price £515,000 (approx)
    Verdict It will win races but not people's affection
    Rating 3/5

Hopefully this car will appear in the next series of Top Gear
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    Hopefully this car will appear in the next series of Top Gear
    God yes that would be A-freaking-mazing.

yeah jim i read that too, good article

Good read, Clarkson sums things up quite well.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

That just seems to say that the Enzo chassis is rather rubbish.

No wonder they fitted every single electronic aid known to man if that is what it would be like without them.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    Engine type V12, 5998cc
    Power 623bhp @ 7500rpm
    wow very impressive engine
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    Yes, it is very, very quick and it will, if you concentrate, blow your mind clean in half in the corners. But you’re always aware somehow that it’s a big, ugly, cobbled-together con trick with no back window. And that for couple of hundred grand less you could have a vastly superior Porsche Carrera GT.
    yeah...

wait did Jeremy clarkson just say a porsche was superior to something other than dog poop????....
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    wait did Jeremy clarkson just say a porsche was superior to something other than dog poop????....
    nice try, but jeremy always loved the CGT
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

It takes practice, getting this car to power slide. In the same way that it would take practice to get an aircraft carrier to power slide. But it is possible. And it’s worth it, because then you feel the Enzo foundations. The sense of total balance. That said, it’s not as good as an Enzo. It’s not as savage or as exciting. And it’s not as fast. But they only made 399 Enzos, so if you weren’t one of the lucky ones the MC12 might appear to be the next best thing.
    That to me suggests that JC likes the Enzo chassis.

wow very impressive engine
    The Enzo had the same engine with 660 bhp.

The car does have vastly more overhang than Enzo.....the road car being heavier and more softly sprung would make that more apparent with no benefit of the extra aero working for you like the racer would....

Plus they turned it into a opentop, probably losing some chassis rigidity there....

But like any JC stuff, half of it is rubbish......the man is too full of himself that I can't take anything he says seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    But like any JC stuff, half of it is rubbish......the man is too full of himself that I can't take anything he says seriously....
    Partly I agree with you, he is overly steadfast in some of his opinions. His obvious bias towards British cars is a good example of this.
    However, here in the US where our motoring journalists spend 6 pages to give you no more feeling of a car than partially filled stars and then hem and haw about a cars different aspects and dynamic characteristics, it's very refreshing to have someone put if very bluntly with gut-feeling displayed proudly. Thats why I respect what he has to say and how he says it.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I also like his writing style. He leaves no questions as to how he feels. That's pretty refreshing.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Yeah, I love the look of this car, and the speed and performance is spot on, but the charm i'm not so sure about - it's all very well building a car like this, but Maserati will not get back any of their image purely through this car!
    THIS FORUM is clearly better than web sites touting for business !

Thread Information