Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lots of NASCAR crashes and otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by SolidStradale
    Uh, I believe they do downshift in the corners on some of the shorter tracks, and your bragging about how hard it is to flik your finger 40 times a lap? They may not shift that much in NASCAR, but it takes alot more work than in F1 racing. The whole sport does. Take an F1 pitcrew for example. When they go and change a tire, its one lugnut on, one lugnut off. Then the jack is built into the car. I know it shaves time, but it just seems lazy.
    Again - trying to compare F1 with NASCAR?

No point.

They are completely different sports, with different goals, requirements and rules.

An F1 driver only has to flick his finger to change gear because a rather large number of people spent a very long time and an awful lot of money so that the gear change could take 0.05s, rather than 0.5s, not because he is "lazy"...

The Pit crew only have to change 4 nuts because the rules allow it, and that is the fastest way to do it.

Do you seriously think that if the NASCAR rules allowed, they would not also be using paddle-shift transmissions, airjacks and single nuts per wheel?

NASCAR is Entertainment.
    It is easy to watch -
    There aren't huge volumes of complicated, intricate rules, and technologies that need to be understood.
    The track doesn't wander off behind some trees, so the paying public can't miss a vital part of the "action".
    And there is "action" by the bucket-load.

Lets face it - without the changes of lead and the closeness of racing NASCAR would be less interesting than watching grass grow.

So, NASCAR is controlled to keep things close and exciting so that thousands of fans can pay their money, watch a race and are guaranteed some sort of entertainment.

The races are 4 hrs long for no other reason than that it makes a proper afternoon out of it. Pleanty of time to drink beer and wave foam fingers around.

F1 is a Sport.
    It is about technology and skill, be it the skill of the driver, or the skill of the guy who designed the new barge-boards which make the car 0.001s per lap faster...

The teams do not want "excitement" and "action"; they want their car in front from start to finish, and they will spend vast sums of money to make that happen.

The fans do not get a look in, the racing is not for their enjoyment. I suspect it probably was long ago, but now it is a corperate display of power; who can afford to hire the best people to make the best cars and the best drivers to drive them.

The fans are only there so that the teams can point out to advertisers / investors that lots of people watch F1, because I doubt Vodaphone would spend $40 million a year for cars to go round an empty track.

There is no "excitement".
    The drivers and most of the crew are about as interesting as a radio show for deaf people. Have you ever seen a post race interview?

All of the fans are tedious bores as well, eagerly awaiting the newest revisions to the brake ducts. "Oooo! how exciting! The Renault has a new front wing endplate set at 5 degrees, rather than 4.75 degrees!!!"

The only people having fun are the ones being entertained by corperate sponsors, and that's only because they are getting free helicopter rides and champagne...

So, in summary:
    NASCAR - something to keep "the masses" happy on a sunday afternoon; quick, cheap and uncomplicated

F1 - Corperate chest-beating followed by geeks who pretend to know how an extra slot in a rear wing helps downforce; long, boring and expensive.
    Thanks for all the fish

So then whats the point of spending hundreds of millions of dollars to put a car on a track if nobody cares about it?
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

I'm kinda too sided when it comes to nascar. If im in the mood, ill watcha few laps, but usually its boring. F1 is faster, and more turns, close competition, etc. Nascar is way to spread out and way to boring. As i could watch anyother racing, motorcross, quad racing, rally events, f1, touring, etc. I even find rock crawling more interesting sometimes. Ive been crying ever since i herd nascars goin to be plastered all over Speed TV.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

So then whats the point of spending hundreds of millions of dollars to put a car on a track if nobody cares about it?
    Who said nobody cared about it?

The teams care (about winning)
    Their investors care (about people all over the world seeing their adverts, and that cars with their parts in are winning)
    The fans care

I said there isn't much entertainment to be had from F1 because that isn't what it is about.

Fans are a by-product, rather than the objective (as with NASCAR)
    Thanks for all the fish

I'm with u coventry. Nascar will never compare to other types of racing. I dont even see figure eight, sprints, modified classes, etc as sports. They go in small circles. Turning the SAME direction. Nascar has what 2 or 3 circuits in which left hand turns are made. (and not coming out of a pit stall, turning onto the track, off of, etc) Competitive yes, but it brings up the rear in excitement too.

2006 Scion tC..

Uh, I believe they do downshift in the corners on some of the shorter tracks, and your bragging about how hard it is to flik your finger 40 times a lap? They may not shift that much in NASCAR, but it takes alot more work than in F1 racing. The whole sport does. Take an F1 pitcrew for example. When they go and change a tire, its one lugnut on, one lugnut off. Then the jack is built into the car. I know it shaves time, but it just seems lazy.
    Oh and F1 is different totally. They flick their fingers yes, but when you are slowing down from 190+ it takes a little more than a finger flick. Its not wide open like nascar, its very pick up, slow down. There arent many 1 mile ovals in F1 racing. Actually there are none. That i know of atleast. Its very much different than nascar, as coventry has said. And what does pitting have to do with anything, its all the same whether its 1 lug, or 5, built in jack or pull along. I disagree with the whole part about it takes more work too. If nascar was better, wouldnt it be on a global scale?

2006 Scion tC..

Quote Originally Posted by PininfarinaPIMP
    You wanna try me asshole??? Ive driven a NASCAR before, ive raced a 70' AMX at over 100mph on a track in Colorado, ive done 80mph around a corner youd take 20mph on on a daily basis. Dont get all high up on your horse because ill tell you, NASCARS dont pack any more punch than ANY muscle car ive driven at the local track, the only difference is i can put up with racing "The Long and Winding Road", i couldnt IMAGINE how ****ing boring it would be to drive in circles all day, and circles are A LOT easier than a track...
    Yeah really, try it with 42 other cars doorhandle to doorhandle, rubbing fenders, and trade'n paint. And you wouldn't keep the car out of the wall if someone bumped you, not like if F1 where if you so much as skim someone else your car is obliterated. You would shit yourself so fast. Its much more then just going fast and turning left. Its hard keeping your car clean and not to crash. So don't start with me, asshole.
    Last edited by PrevlingPushrod; 12-28-2005 at 01:15 PM.
    Fords suck, Chevys rule, but its Ferrari that makes me drool

Quote Originally Posted by PininfarinaPIMP
    Im not talking about taking those corners at 80mph in my ****ing Saturn, im talking about taking them in a race car dumbass. Ive raced long races, more than 2 hours, but not in some circle jerk with a bunch of ****ing inbreds. That little turn at 80mph???, i could take that at 80mph in my ****ing Saturn, that turn is nothing, im talking and almost 90 degree turn at 80mph...
    Who said anything about a Saturn?
    And I was talking about race cars too. OMG?! 2 Hours?! I've done that in bumper to bumper traffic at 60Mph, that make me a pro like you?
    And I doubt you can take that turn at 80Mph, but if you do, I'll see you in the hospital.

BTW, whose the dumbass when the tracks are actually ovals.
    Last edited by F1_Master; 12-27-2005 at 08:43 PM.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by PrevlingPushrod
    So don't start with me, asshole.
    Doesn't sound as if he is the one trying to "start" something here...

I believe Mr PininfarinaPIMP was given a short ban after his posting got a little "unrefined" in its use of the English language.

You wouldn't want to find yourself in a similar position would you?

Why is everyone getting so worked up about people not liking NASCAR?

So what if some people don't like it?

It doesn't hurt you, does it?

You certainly aren't going to change someone's opinion of the sport by insulting them.
    Thanks for all the fish

Very true. As this seems to happen to every thread on here. It goes into a arguement, i'm not saying i dont participate when i think there is a wrong, or something needed to be said. But sometimes u guys take stuff way over the line. Its not like your goin to find each other and beat one another to a pulp. Just cool it. Everyone has an opinion.

2006 Scion tC..

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Doesn't sound as if he is the one trying to "start" something here...

I believe Mr PininfarinaPIMP was given a short ban after his posting got a little "unrefined" in its use of the English language.

You wouldn't want to find yourself in a similar position would you?

Why is everyone getting so worked up about people not liking NASCAR?

So what if some people don't like it?

It doesn't hurt you, does it?

You certainly aren't going to change someone's opinion of the sport by insulting them.
    True, but you gotta admit, sometimes, they start from someone posting something stupid and then trying to make them sound right and smart....
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

I am just here to so I am sorry for my inapropriate language. I am sorry if I upset anyone. But the profanity of this thread made my blood boil. I am truely sorry for my behavior and I will asure you it will never happen again and I will not swear on this site again. I bit you good day.
    Fords suck, Chevys rule, but its Ferrari that makes me drool

Thread Information