Thread: Plymouth Superbird question

Plymouth Superbird question

The Plymouth Superbird was an automobile that existed for one reason only - to win at NASCAR.The Superbird was basically a modified Plymouth Road Runner, but it was realized that while it was alright on the street to have the 'aerodynamics of a brick' (typical of most American cars of the period), something a little better would help at high racing speeds. So, following the lead of the previous year's Dodge Charger Daytona, the Superbird sported an aerodynamic nosecone adding nineteen inches to the length and containing retractable headlights, a slightly smoothed-out body, and to counter a tendency to lightness at high speed, a rear wing was mounted high on very tall tailfins. The reason for the fins was mostly to give clearance beneath them to lift the trunk deck lid, but it probably didn't hurt that it put the wing into less disturbed air.

NASCAR banned the Superbird and all the other aerodynamic speedsters in the 1971 season, concerned about dangerously high speeds and that the cars didn't look all that 'stock'

Does anyone knows its performance figures?
    John Buffum was the man.

UCP's most violent member; a lump of destructive energy.

here's the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Buffum was the man.

There is a complete thread about it in the classic forums:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ight=superbird

There were two versions available, one with the 426ci 425 bhp Hemi and the other was the six pack 390 bhp 440ci.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Stats, the road car would do 225Km/h(140Mph) the racers were doing about 300(185mph) with the 'hemi'.
    I have a 0-60 time of 5 seconds.

It also broke records worlwide for ugliness.

man that car and the winged charger 69 to 70 nascar car kicked chevy and ford, mainly chevy butt. The fords had no problem with the Plymouth Superbird and Dodge charger daytona. The chevys on the other hand hated so they sreamed and yelled about the mopar 69 to 70 nascar racer.
    [FLASH] WHAT YOU THINK, YOU SEEN, YOU NEVER SAW HAVE NICE DAY [FLASH] MIB AND MIB2 ROCKS SORRY I HAVE TO NERLIZE YOU AGAIN [FASH]

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    There were two versions available, one with the 426ci 425 bhp Hemi and the other was the six pack 390 bhp 440ci.
    They were also offered with a regular 4v 440.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Quote Originally Posted by MOPAR KICKS ASS
    .... The fords had no problem with the Plymouth Superbird and Dodge charger daytona. The chevys on the other hand hated so they sreamed and yelled about the mopar 69 to 70 nascar racer.
    Between the Daytona and the Superbird, Chrysler was taking all three top positions on all tracks for most of the '69 and '70 seasons - I'm sure Ford had a problem with that as did GM, but the real reason for the NASCAR ruling changes were the cars were hitting speeds back then that surpassed the safety guidelines of the day. Though I'm sure one manufacturer dominating the sport may also contributed to the regulation changes.

Personally I hate NASCAR, left hand turns are not that exciting for me - odd as I'm a ¼ mile junkie - but I did hear from someone that the speeds they were hitting on the straights back then was faster than they were hitting in the last few years with all the safety upgrades that have occurred over the last 30+ years. I can't verify this off the top of my head but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    It also broke records worlwide for ugliness.
    At least it looked like a finished car... check out a pic of the Ford King Cobra- it looks like the nose wasn't quite finished when it was released to the public!

And I can name many, many cars from the '80s, '90s and today which are so ugly they make the Superbird look like a work of art (which they are, in a way).
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

At least it looked like a finished car... check out a pic of the Ford King Cobra- it looks like the nose wasn't quite finished when it was released to the public!
    hehehe, I did see that.
    But at least the cobra looks good from some angles, you can't look at a roadrunner from anywhere, except maybe from inside.
    And I can name many, many cars from the '80s, '90s and today which are so ugly they make the Superbird look like a work of art (which they are, in a way).
    Well, looks are subjective but to me it appears to be an awful cross between the Dukes of hazard and Flash Gordan.
    The black vinyl roof adding a final touch of class.

I heard that the new nosecone didn't ventlate the engine well egough, and production models at least had problems with overheating.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Some guys in Detroit told me that Dodge was planning a revival of this car.
    John Buffum was the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    I heard that the new nosecone didn't ventlate the engine well egough, and production models at least had problems with overheating.
    I see a yellow '69 440 Charger Daytona at the weekly car gathering once in a while and it doesn't seem to be overheating when it pulls into the parking lot or waiting to pull into the parking lot... even on a 90 degree day.
    I also see about half a dozen '69 Daytonas and '70 Superbirds at the Mopar Spring Fling which drive right in off the street. Remember, it's the fan which draws in air through the radiator. If the fan is big enough and has a sufficient number of blades (and if the radiator is big enough, like a 3-core) overheating shouldn't be a problem.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    nah, the ventilation was just fine. C&D never said anything about "overheating" of engines.
    John Buffum was the man.

Thread Information