Thread: assistance, if you please

assistance, if you please

i currently own a 1990 mazda b2200 truck, and was wondering if anyone had some ideas that i could use to boost the performance a bit. im operating on a university students budget(carleton engineering) and want to keep it drivable and reliable. as it stands, the truck is ok up untill around 80kph, where the engine starts to run out of go. if there were a reasonable way to kick in 15-20horses it would be a pretty big improvement. its running the 2.2l block, similar, if my research is correct, to the 2.2l probe gt and mx-6 gt
    Last edited by i<3corvette; 11-19-2005 at 04:04 PM.
    1990 mazda b2200
    85hp, 115 ft/lb's
    5 speed manual
    thats my baby.

A 2200 should do better than 80 mph. So maybe the issue is lose of compression in the motor. If that's the case, any attempted to run more power through it might make the blowby worse. Does it burn oil? Do you have to add oil between oil changes?

I'd start with a tune-up. Change the sparkplug cables, sparkplugs, air filter, gas filter and see if there is a improvement.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    A 2200 should do better than 80 mph. So maybe the issue is lose of compression in the motor. If that's the case, any attempted to run more power through it might make the blowby worse. Does it burn oil? Do you have to add oil between oil changes?

I'd start with a tune-up. Change the sparkplug cables, sparkplugs, air filter, gas filter and see if there is a improvement.
    he said 80KPH thats like, 50mph, pathetic
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv

That's good advise, make sure everything is working properly before attempting any modifications. 80kph is too soon to run out of power.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    he said 80KPH thats like, 50mph, pathetic
    Right, and I said 80 mph as something his truck should be easily capable of, which is closer to 130 km/h. Something is really wrong with that truck if it can't go faster than 50 mph!!
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

the truck doesnt run out of power, it simply looses the jump it has at low speeds, i would assume the engine is falling out of powerband, at the higher rpms. when i parked at the end of the summer, the engine ran well, with the exception of a very low(nearly stalling) idle speed. as far as the whole tune up thing, i will definetly do so, towards the summer when i take it back out of storage. as far as oil goes, havent seen any leaks, and doesnt seem to be burning oil (although i dont check as often as i should, i havent had any problems). so far as engine compression, i wouldnt be surprised if that could be the case. my truck is still very drivable, that isnt the concern(im still faster than my buddy's escape) its just if i were able to squeeze in some upper end, with out going so far as a turbo kit, or full engine swap, those both cost too much in time and money. so far as the ultimate top end, ive never really given it, the higest ive gone was 110, and its not so much that power isnt there, its just far less responive, not surprising, as it is a truck engine, tuned for hauling crap(witch it does do quite well for so small a truck)
    thanks for the insight, none the less,
    Last edited by i<3corvette; 11-20-2005 at 04:30 AM.
    1990 mazda b2200
    85hp, 115 ft/lb's
    5 speed manual
    thats my baby.

Thread Information