Thread: Chevy (Daewoo) Aveo - Oops!

Chevy (Daewoo) Aveo - Oops!

I read a report this morning about the new Chevy Aveo, which is made in Korea by the GM-owned remnants of Daewoo. I've only seen a couple on the road, this car literally just came out in the last few weeks. If you don't know what it looks like it's very similar in size, shape, and style to a Scion xA. (Ok, I know, a lot of people haven't seen those either, but that's what it looks like). The Aveo was featured in a couple Superbowl commercials including the one with the 4 basketball players that got in and then looked small sitting in the car. The punchline of the ad is, "Big where it counts."

Anyway, according to this report Chevy dealers have been instructed to stop selling Aveos. Word is there's a major quality recall in the works. It must be pretty serious for them to freeze sales. A Daewoo by any other name............

Update this morning from www.thecarconnection.com:

General Motors Thursday lifted a do-not-sell order to dealers on its new Chevy Aveo. Last week, the automaker issued the order following five crashes that were reported from the field in January. The automaker investigated to see if the crashes could have been caused by a common mechanical problem. GM spokesman Jim Schell said neither a defect nor common cause was discovered. GM is being extra careful about quality these days as it tried to close the quality gap with industry leaders Toyota and Honda, and especially tries to close the perception gap that its quality lags its Asian rivals by miles instead of inches. The Aveo is a rebadged Daewoo, built in South Korea. The car, which comes in sedan and hatchback, began shipping to dealers in early January. Priced from about $10,000 to $13,500, the car is meant to cover the entry-level market filled recently only by deeply discounted Cavaliers and Pontiac Sunfires. -Jim Burt

how is that car selling? i had heard it was pretty popular.

I've only seen a couple and I think they were rentals. The dealers around here only started receiving them around New Year's I think, so they're still pretty rare. To get a better idea of how they're selling, it would be better to ask someone from California, I'm sure they've been out longer there.

Thread Information