Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why car names change?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I am sure that you included the famous Fiat Ritmo/Strada case
    Actually no. What was with the Ritmo/Strada?
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Actually no. What was with the Ritmo/Strada?
    Ritmo had to be renamed strada in the UK market, because it was a brand of condoms
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

so No Go meant it stayed in the UK
    The car is sold in Mexico, as the Corsa...like everyware else.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Ritmo had to be renamed strada in the UK market, because it was a brand of condoms
    Oh Great. Thanks for the tip.

A few other cases from last years:
    Mitsubishi Pajero. In spanish-spoken countries it's been, according to my knowledge, sold as Montero. I believe it's because pajero in spanish slang means a jerk-off or a jerker. Can someone from Spain/Latin America say whether it's right? Oh, and why the hell is it called Shogun in the UK?
    Buick LaCrosse. Another masturbation case. From what I heard, in quebec french it means also wanking? Any Quebec guys can confirm? I wonder if it has a dildo in standard trim?
    Toyota MR2. In France it's been sold as simply MR. Cause 'em-er-deux' sounds too similar to 'merde' (shit).

I remember somekind of American Convertible called "SS". You really don't want a car in Europ that is called "SS". Beacause the SS were Adolf Hitler's eltite soldiers. Sow you'll never see a car that might be named SuperSport (SS) in Europe.

If you wanna know all about the SS: http://www.feldgrau.com/ss.html
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Oh Great. Thanks for the tip.

A few other cases from last years:
    Mitsubishi Pajero. In spanish-spoken countries it's been, according to my knowledge, sold as Montero. I believe it's because pajero in spanish slang means a jerk-off or a jerker. Can someone from Spain/Latin America say whether it's right?
    Almost, Pajero is very similar to Pajaro which means bird but in slang in means penis.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I remember somekind of American Convertible called "SS". You really don't want a car in Europ that is called "SS". Beacause the SS were Adolf Hitler's eltite soldiers. Sow you'll never see a car that might be named SuperSport (SS) in Europe.

If you wanna know all about the SS: http://www.feldgrau.com/ss.html
    Let's not forget why the Jaguar name came up. Before the war the car was SS Jaguar, SS being the make, and Jaguar the model. Only after the WW2 they thought the name should be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Almost, Pajero is very similar to Pajaro which means bird but in slang in means penis.
    Actually, I've checked with my spanish friends and yes, pajero is used as a word for jerk-off. In portuguese too.

Quote Originally Posted by sholland
    This may not be true but I heard that when Vauxhall/Opel wanted to release the Nova in Mexico they got poor response because it translated to No Go so they changed the name to Corsa. That's another likely reason for different names though that more or less relates to different cultures as stated before.
    Yeah, No-va means "Doesn't go" in Spanish.. however, Novas sold like crazy in Venezuela back in the day.

Mexicans don't use "La paja" as a jerk-off synonym?

it can be detirmened by language (the Buick LaCrosse is marketed under a different name in Canada because they found that lacrosse in french means masturbation, you inow, they speak french i=n some parts of Canada) but it can also be because of the name being copyrighted in a country (The Mitsubishi GTO had to be sold as the 3000GT in the US because Pontiac holds the copyrights to the GTO name)
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    it can be detirmened by language (the Buick LaCrosse is marketed under a different name in Canada because they found that lacrosse in french means masturbation, you inow, they speak french i=n some parts of Canada) but it can also be because of the name being copyrighted in a country (The Mitsubishi GTO had to be sold as the 3000GT in the US because Pontiac holds the copyrights to the GTO name)
    As for LaCrosse: That's exactly what I wrote in #19.
    The Mitsubishi was in sale in Europe also as 3000GT (in Poland at least?).

in australia the mitsubishi magna was recently changed to the mitsubishi 380, because the magna was doing shit.
    they had to revamp the model completely, so it wouldnt erect memories of the magna to potential buyers, and part of that was to create a new name for it.
    thats one reason

LOL i said erect.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I remember somekind of American Convertible called "SS". You really don't want a car in Europ that is called "SS". Beacause the SS were Adolf Hitler's eltite soldiers. Sow you'll never see a car that might be named SuperSport (SS) in Europe
    Bugatti EB110SS and the Dauer version of it?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

we had the Datsun 1600 SSS
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Bugatti EB110SS and the Dauer version of it?
    Those aren't cars you'll see very often. But you will never see an Peugeot SS or something...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Thread Information