Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Factory Five Racing GTM

It's well documented that the exterior design of the GT40 was penned in Dearborn by Ford and that Broadley's Lola is the father of the project.

The original GT40 was built by Ford, powered by Ford, and raced by Ford. As far as the design I don't know much, but I do know that as soon as Carrol Shelby got involved it started winning. If thats not an american car, then what is?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    The original GT40 was built by Ford, powered by Ford, and raced by Ford. As far as the design I don't know much, but I do know that as soon as Carrol Shelby got involved it started winning. If thats not an american car, then what is?
    The only things American about the first GT40 were the engine that powered and the dollars that were used by Brits to design and build it. Caroll Shelby installed a much bigger engine to equal the Ferrari's pace. If the Americans had not insisted on using a steel chassis this might not have been needed. If there is one aspect of the project that has been most influential for the success, it's the MASSIVE amounts of money spent on it. Shelby was just a small piece of the project.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Where a car is built tells you what it is? They build Mazdas and Toyotas in the states, does that make them American? If a company like say TVR decided to hire an American on as lead designer would that make TVR's he designed American? The 260/289 road cobras had British bodies, but were built the rest of the way by americans along with Ford engines. Nationality shouldn't be such a huge F***ing factor! It was built by Ford, ITS A FORD! It was built by Ferrari, ITS A FERRARI! It was built by Mercedes-Benz, ITS A MERCEDES-BENZ!!!!! Who gives a hoot who designed it or where it was built? The Chysler 300C was designed by an american using alot of Mercedes parts and built by DC. The Mclaren SLR was built by Mercedes-Benz but using Mclaren racing technology. The GT40 was built by Ford, americans or not, it was built by Ford, raced by Ford, and driven by americans. Its a Ford.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Hm...not as nice as a 'proper' GTM.

lol
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    It's well documented that the exterior design of the GT40 was penned in Dearborn by Ford and that Broadley's Lola is the father of the project.
    oh dear.

RIGHT>

We've been GIVEN the pics of the Mk 6 and the GT which CLEARLY show the LINES of the GT40 heritage.

We have citation from reliable sources on the role of Broadley.

You present your EVIDENCE on the contrary or just STFU
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    oh dear.

RIGHT>

We've been GIVEN the pics of the Mk 6 and the GT which CLEARLY show the LINES of the GT40 heritage.

We have citation from reliable sources on the role of Broadley.

You present your EVIDENCE on the contrary or just STFU
    You're upset beacuse you know I'm correct. You have no right to tell me to shut up anyway. Sore loser.

You're upset beacuse you know I'm correct. You have no right to tell me to shut up anyway. Sore loser.
    Look, go back and READ THE F'UCKING POSTS YOU WANKER.

Get off your lazy f'ucking arse and go do some investigation of reliable sources.

You are a toss-pot and I gladly ban myself for one day for swearing

I've presented the FACTS and evidence, you've presented all your hand-tossing-in-your-bedroom-fantasies !!!!

See you all tomorrow
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

its a ford gt combined with a saleen s7 and an enzo and a 575. Very familiar but oh so different..

Look, go back and READ THE F'UCKING POSTS YOU WANKER.

Get off your lazy f'ucking arse and go do some investigation of reliable sources.

You are a toss-pot and I gladly ban myself for one day for swearing

I've presented the FACTS and evidence, you've presented all your hand-tossing-in-your-bedroom-fantasies !!!!

See you all tomorrow
    Resorting to personal attacks is just further evidence that you have no argument. Here's shovel for your other hand so you can dig your hole even faster.

Eric Broadley (British) was responsible for the overal development, Roy Lunn (British) was responsible for the design, Len Bailey (British) did the chassis and John Wyer (British) did the administration. The work commenced at the Lola factory before FAV moved into a nearby new premises in Slough, Great Britain. After the first car was completed in Great Britain, it was airlifted to the US for the New York Motorshow. So the car made its first appearances after it was completed. This is a racing car, it is highly improbable that everything is designed at one place and then the body on the other side of the ocean. Racing car bodies are not designed, they are tightly sculpted over a chassis.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Eric Broadley (British) was responsible for the overal development, Roy Lunn (British) was responsible for the design, Len Bailey (British) did the chassis and John Wyer (British) did the administration. The work commenced at the Lola factory before FAV moved into a nearby new premises in Slough, Great Britain. After the first car was completed in Great Britain, it was airlifted to the US for the New York Motorshow. So the car made its first appearances after it was completed. This is a racing car, it is highly improbable that everything is designed at one place and then the body on the other side of the ocean. Racing car bodies are not designed, they are tightly sculpted over a chassis.
    I haven't seen any infrormation which concluded that Roy Lunn penned the exterior design. I'll check it out.

Reading their site, they are WELL beyond the level of skill needed in many British kits where there can be LOTS of raw fabrication necessary.

Assembly drilling a few holes and a bit of panel beating or glass lay-up isn't anything to be afraid of. You are NOT asked to do anything on construction of critical components anymore - the original LoCost you welded up the suspension arms from raw tubing yourself
    Reading their site, you could build this car with a couple spanners.
    Reading what independent people who have bought and are building kits have to say, there is a lot of custom work required.

I understand what you mean about the major parts of the car, there is nothing wrong with the chassis and the body. It's the details, like how there's no interior supplied.

To paraphrase a quote from the FRR forum I vividly remember: "If I were selling these kits, I would immediately stop customer delivery until these quality issues are fixed."
    Apparently, the windows don't even roll up and down.

To clear up the GT40 exterior design etc.....

From a transcript of an interview with Dave Ash who is one of the main designers of the 1964 Mustang, Mustang 1 concept and GT40.

Also info from two books:
    Ford - GT40 Production and Racing History - Individual Chassis Record
    GT40 - An Individual History and Race Record" by Ronnie Spain

Roy Lunn worked on the Mustang 1 chassis developement, the car was a rear engine design with a tube frame, prior to being assigned to the GT40 project. A lot of groundwork for the GT40 car had been carried out in advance in Fords Dearborn design studios, under the control of Gene Bordinat, another Mustang designer, prior to analysing Boradley's blueprint for the Lola GT.

Dave Ash penned the exterior design dictated largely by aerodynamics. It wasn't considered a design or styling project, purely function.

The Mustang 1 interestingly was also 40" tall. You can see the similarities in the design between it and the first GT40. The main Lola influence is the aero shape and cabin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting Dino, but the Mk6 pre-dates both and you can see the GT40 shape in it PS it was 42" tall on high profile rubber

First time I've heard it EVER suggested that work was done EARLIER in Dearborn. All the material I've read had it that Broadley under Wyer's leadership took the design which was then reworked because they refused to make it lightweight and so the chassis was reworked.

As for the comment abotu Ash pennign it on aero ? where was that cited ? The GT40 was IMPROVED in the Dearborn tunnel aerodynamically. I'm astounded to read the suggestion that it was Ash being "aero"

Clearly there is revisionism going on in both camps with no doubt in the early years Ford UK wanting to talk up it's design house experience and Ford US wanting to create the belief that it was an all-American car

PS: sorry I see NO similarity Yeah they've both got side vents, differnet style diferent size.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-29-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Thread Information